U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 11:34 AM

3,570 posts, read 5,716,317 times

Advertisements

One of my dogs seizures occassionally and I was just wondering if anyone else notices a change in the pitch of the bark (in his case lower) or increasingly manic behavior HOURS beforehand.

He hadn't seized in months and sure enough the day I noticed a change in his bark tho he was otherwise seemingly normal he had a seizure in the evening.

Thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 11:55 AM

1,403 posts, read 842,932 times
I had a dog many years ago who had epilepsy, but she had a fairly mild form and wasn't on meds. She'd go sometimes for five or six months without an episode, and then might have a seizure once or twice within a 24-48 hr period, then maybe nothing again for a couple of months, or often quite a bit longer.

Misty wasn't one to bark much, so I didn't notice any significant change with her there. However, I did notice that anywhere from a few minutes to maybe an hour or so before a seizure, her attitude changed...almost as though she was hearing something and was focused on the sound. It was as if she was a bit "zoned out". Within moments before a seizure her ears would go back, she'd get a rather wild look in her eyes and then she'd start to run, and within seconds she'd drop to the ground and seize. Post-seizure, and for a few hours afterward, she'd be somewhat lethargic. I think the seizures wore her out, as it would take her until the next day to be back to her old self.

*Forgot to add: Sometimes her seizures seemed to happen with no obvious physical trigger, but one thing that would almost guarantee a seizure would be extremely loud sound, such as someone blasting hard rock music. One Christmas she had a seizure when the family was playing a board game that came with a timer that buzzed quite loudly...the second time it went off Misty reacted, even though she was in the other room, and seized.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:09 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,080,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
One of my dogs seizures occassionally and I was just wondering if anyone else notices a change in the pitch of the bark (in his case lower) or increasingly manic behavior HOURS beforehand.

He hadn't seized in months and sure enough the day I noticed a change in his bark tho he was otherwise seemingly normal he had a seizure in the evening.

Thoughts...
How old?

Old 11-07-2016, 03:57 PM

3,570 posts, read 5,716,317 times
I think he's 7-8ish been going on for about 4 years now sometimes 10 months between seizures other times he might have 2 only days apart then nothing for months.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:55 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,080,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I think he's 7-8ish been going on for about 4 years now sometimes 10 months between seizures other times he might have 2 only days apart then nothing for months.
Is there any known or suspected history of traumatic brain injuries?

And you'd be surprised how they can occur. Just like humans, it does not take much.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:34 AM

5,515 posts, read 8,849,861 times
I have a dog that seizes every once in a while. I have not noticed any warning signs. What I do when he seizes is get a bag of frozen veggies from the freezer and apply them to his back. It seems to shorten the episode.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:20 AM

1,403 posts, read 842,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I have a dog that seizes every once in a while. I have not noticed any warning signs. What I do when he seizes is get a bag of frozen veggies from the freezer and apply them to his back. It seems to shorten the episode.
That's really interesting. I'm curious whether this was a recommended suggestion, or something that you stumbled across?

If I still had my epileptic dog, I'd have tried this to see if it would have helped. Seizures are difficult to witness in a dog, even short episodes. Anything that would have helped back then, I would have tried.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:07 PM

18,794 posts, read 4,926,983 times
I had a dachshund years ago that had seizures once in a while....the vet said if we started meds the dog would
need them daily, but he didn't think it was necessary. We never did start him on meds and he lived a long life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs