U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 12:28 PM

253 posts, read 967,193 times

Advertisements

I think you're right deegs.
In reading these posts, I think she got a lot of good info and food for thought. I just hope she hadn't made up her mind before she posted.
The suggestion of getting a cat is very good, also helping the roomie with her pet, working for a vet, volunteering at a shelter, etc.
If you want a dog why not tell yourself, "not until I'm out of College", and then apply yourself twice as hard in school and you may try to graduate early, if possible. Hopefully that will motivate you to do your best and then you can reward yourself with your faithful companion, when the time is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
I don't think the poster has responded since the original post.

Was any of this helpful, vudupins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 28,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
I don't think the poster has responded since the original post.

Was any of this helpful, vudupins?
Yes! All of this has been extremely helpful, thanks to all of you! I definitely have a lot to think about now.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,737 times
Vudupins:

I'm in a situation very similar to yours. My boyfriend adopted a Norwegian Elkhound puppy in December at 8 weeks of age. Rocky is now 17 weeks old. My boyfriend and I are both full-time college students and Rocky has become the most well-trained, sociable puppy I've ever met. However, the situation works only because of a few, essential reasons:

1. Our schedules are opposite. This sucks for us, but it means that Rocky is rarely in his crate for more than 2 hours at a time and for a total of 6 hours a day, and that's only one day of the week. The rest of the week he gets maybe 2 hours of crate time a day. Weekends? Almost no crate time.
2. We take Rocky on extensive walks every day, or we take him to the dog park. Every day. This is in addition to playing with him in the apartment.
3. We spent ALL of our Christmas break time (one month) socializing Rocky to new people and situations to ensure he matured to be a well-adjusted dog. He still meets tons of people and dogs on his walks and in the dog park.
4. We had a really nice landlord and really nice neighbors who don't mind puppy yipping, which can literally drive you insane. We went around to every neighbor and informed them that Rocky was coming to live with us. It was worth it. 4 am, the puppy is yipping to go outside, but no one has complained.
5. Real estate is super cheap in our area (northern MN) so three months from now, Rocky will have his own house and fenced yard.
6. My boyfriend and I usually have to trade off study time when Rocky is feeling feisty. Puppies will chew on laptop cords, toilet paper, carpeting, furniture, textbooks, your underwear...you can't let your guard down for a second!

Anyway, Vudupins, this is what two people can do for one puppy. If you don't think you can meet those needs on your own, I'd strongly suggest waiting. Think of how bad you'd feel if you got your puppy, realized you couldn't care for it properly, and then had to take it to a shelter.

I know how tough it is. I've fallen in love with AmStaffs/APBTs, but I'd want to get my pittie as a pup to ensure that it had the best possible upbringing, and there's absolutely no way I could accomodate a pit and the spitz-type Rocky...I guess I'll have to wait!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:39 PM

1,041 posts, read 4,036,220 times
All my life I thought I would have a dog when I was in college...and I never did because there were many days when I was out of my dorm/apt for more than 12 hours at a time.

Then I thought I could get one when I graduated and was on my own, but then I realized I STILL don't have the time (or space) for a dog. Plus it is rather cumbersome to bring dogs from the mainland to Hawaii, where I reside.

Moral of the story: My life sucks, I have wanted a dog for 20+ years, but I know it is the right thing to wait until I have the time for a dog. It is only right...

Old 03-02-2008, 01:44 AM

81 posts, read 224,934 times
Default Pet to have in College

Im strongly thinking about going to Boston University.
While i am there, i would LOVE to have a pet.
Would you suggest against this? and why?

also what would be the ideal pet- other than a fish

MODERATOR - This same question was asked just recently by a poster. This OP (trini) indicates elsewhere she is a sophomore in high school, so I doubt we have to cross this bridge today. I am merging these threads - I hope.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-08-2008 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: merging threads explanation

Old 03-02-2008, 10:20 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,976,141 times
When I was in graduate school I had Freshman girls as pets.

It didn't take them long to realize that what they had thought was hip intellectualism was really stoned chauvanistic bullchit.

So I had to keep getting a new one every few weeks.

Last edited by Fat Freddy; 03-02-2008 at 10:32 AM..

Old 03-02-2008, 10:30 AM

12,447 posts, read 31,523,584 times
1 Can you have a pet where you are going to live?? What kind? 2 Will you have time to carefor & train a pet? 3 Can you afford the vet bills that go with a pet?? 4 Will you have time to be with the pet?? or will the pet be alone while you are in class a lot & studying a lot?? [Thats not going to be fair to the pet!!]

Old 03-02-2008, 11:15 AM

3,021 posts, read 10,100,176 times
I can understand your desire to get a pet while in college. You'll be in a strange, new place without friends or family, so it's nice to have someone to come home to. It makes the new place feel less lonely & more like a home. However, you'll only be in college for a few years and many pets live much longer than that. Are you willing to make a 15 or 20 year commitment to an animal? If not, then don't get a cat or dog. Fish aren't as easy as you might imagine, either. You have to do more than feed them every day. You have to test & treat the water & add fresh, filtered water every week.

Life changes a lot during the college years. Also, you'll have a lot of responsibilities taking up your time - classes, homework, job. And don't forget the fun things like parties & trips. Once you start school you may realize that you don't have time to take care of a pet. The rescue group where I got my cat refuses to adopt pets out to undergraduates for this very reason.

Everyone is different, though, and you may be the sort of person who can be committed to a pet for the long haul. Just be fully aware of what's involved.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:26 PM

6,021 posts, read 13,547,892 times
hi, are you going to live on campus or off? AFAIK, none of the BU dorms allow pets. off campus housing in that area can be pricey and may not allow pets, esp. dogs.

this topic came up in the Dogs board, but I highly recommend NOT getting any pets, esp. if you're coming in as a freshman. all pets, even a little goldfish, require time and money, two things college kids always tend to be lacking in. any pets will severely limit your social options (harder to go out partying all night and crash at a friend's if you have to go walk the dog/feed the cat/clean the cages/whatever the next morning.) and forget about partaking in some of the schools extracurricular activities and study abroad trips unless you have the cash to spend on pet sitters, dog walkers, and boarding facilities. when you apply for a post grad job/grad school, these people would much rather see you took part in a club or studied in Italy for a month than the fact you stayed home w/ your cat all 4 years

if you are deadset on getting a pet, here's my general breakdown on some of the pets I'm associated w/ (this is VERY general! different breeds may have different energy levels, and all animals are individual, so YMMV):

dog: absolutely NOT recommended at all! in Boston, finding a cheap apartment is difficult enough w/o having to deal w/ a dog (trust me, I know from experience). it will be near impossible to find an apartment close to BU that will take any size dog w/o paying big bucks (ie, more than $1200 for even small 1 bedroom). all dogs need to be walked at least 2x/day and can't be left alone for long periods of time. you'll most likely have to spend money of hiring a dog walker, money you should be saving towards school/rent.

cat: easier to own than a dog, but still requires a lot of work. it will still be tough finding an inexpensive, cat friendly apartment near BU (it's a popular area). a lot of people will tell you to get 2 cats to keep each other company, which will be more or less impossible w/ some apartments. you'll need to hire a pet sitter if you plan on being away from home for more than a day

ferret: ferrets can require almost as much work as a cat, but they need STRICT supervision, outside play time (not outside outside, but outside the cage) and a huge cage. food and vet care can be pricey as well (ferrets need rabies shots just like dogs and many are prone a a slew of cancers). oh, and it will be hard to find roommates w/ ferrets b/c many people associate ferrets w/ that musky bad odor many tend to have

caged pocket pets (hamsters, mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, etc): rats, rabbits, and guinea pigs all require large cages and lots of time outside those cages. I have rats now and take them out their cage (which is a large, $150+ ferret cage) for at least 2 hours/day, more on the weekends. mice, hamsters, and gerbils don't need to be taken out of their cages that much (more along the lines of furry fish) so would be a bit more manageable. all these animals require frequent cage cleaning, but it is possible to leave them alone for a bit (like more than a day), provided they have food, water, and the cage is secure, esp. if the pet doesn't need outside play time (I don't recommend it, but I've left a pet hamster "alone" for 5 days. he had lots of water and food and my roommate just checked up on him every other day just in case.).

I don't know enough about birds or fish, other than to say avoid large parrots (which can live for decades) and salt water fish (too high maintenance). and do I really need to say do NOT get a horse!?

also realize there can be a lot of stigma attached to certain pets (as I mentioned, many dislike ferrets b/c of the smell, most people hate rats and mice, reptiles like snakes can also be a big no-no) so it will be harder to rent/find roommates w/ these pets. also consider moving ease (difficult to move fish and break down large cages. as a college student, you'll probably be moving a lot), food costs, vet care, grooming, cage accessories costs (proper cage bedding can run you close to $10-20/month depending on the critter and type used, never mind the number of toys these type of animals tend to destroy), cage costs, initial cost of the pet (and FYI, the minimum age to adopt from most of the Boston area shelters is 21, and many may be hesitant to adopt out to college students), and the extra costs incurred in renting (LL's will likely raise the total rent if there is a dog or cat involved)

if you MUST have something furry, I'd go w/ a hamster: small, relatively inexpensive, doesn't have the stigma attached to most other pet rodents, easy to care for, easy to rent with (most LL, even the ones that say hey don't allow pets, may be ok w/ a caged pet that's unlikely to destroy the place and is quiet/not smelly, and they won't charge extra in rent), and short lived (I know it sounds cruel, but hamsters only live for about 3 years, which is good for a college student that may end up moving out of city/state/country after graduation).

sorry for being so long winded. I LOVED my shih tzu and love my current pet rats, but my college life would have been SO much easier w/o them (I missed out of school trips, couldn't live on campus, spent tons of money of cages and pet care, etc). now that I'm back in school, I find myself juggling school, work, clubs, volunteer work, and rat care and it's hard as heck! but I do love every second of it and I can see the allure of having a pet during those tough years, but it doesn't make those years any easier.

hope this helps a bit

Last edited by eevee; 03-02-2008 at 07:38 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 05:21 AM

12,031 posts, read 16,773,933 times
As a college freshman, I had a pet turtle. HOWEVER, I had to find someone to take care of it over the winter and had someone else lined up to take care of it over summer break. If your family does not live near Boston, you need to keep care and transport in mind. Not to mention you can basically kiss out of state internships and study abroad goodbye because you can't haul a small pet around the country- especially on planes. Dogs and cats are out until AT LEAST senior year of college if you plan on staying in the city in your apartment.

Also, you need to worry about your roommate. I got my pet turtle with the agreement of my roommate who helped take care of it when I had to go out of town in exchange for me taking care of her fish when she was out of town. I was gone for our "midwinter" break in Feb. while she stayed and was in charge of taking care of the turtle. Sometime in the middle of the night, she got annoyed by the sound of the filter and unplugged it- accidentally unplugging the heater as well. Since the filter wasn't necessary to be on the whole time, she never thought to plug it back in. After 3 days in frigid water in the middle of a very cold Boston winter, Sven died. Not to say he wouldn't have eventually died- we actually think that one of the other guys on the hall who had a turtle (6 of us had them) bought a sick turtle and when he had the turtle go on "play dates" with the others, he managed to make them all sick. However, irresponsible roommates do kill pets.

Keep in mind that it's hard enough to rent an apartment in Boston for a reasonable price. If you have a pet, your options will be SEVERELY limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or