Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:54 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
But you cannot show a neutered/spayed dog in a AKC sanctioned show.
correct - what they are saying is that IF you have a competition dog and meet the requirements of the definitions of such (outlined in the link I provided), then the dog can be exempt from the spay/neuter ordinance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 11:05 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,905 times
whats strange is that one of the provided exemptions is if the owner belongs to a "approved" dog club which maintains and enforces a Code of Ethics in regards to breeding guidelines. However, if you look at the list of "approved" clubs, virtually every AKC parent club and every AKC dog club in California is listed, along with some others. I know for a fact that many of those clubs do not have COE's and even if they do, they sure don't enforce them....

So, any easy way out of the ordinace is to join one of the clubs. Some of them don't even require attendance to do so.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:06 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
I am certainly not against spaying/neutering and I love the idea of no kill policies, BUT I do not like the powers to be stepping in and saying this is what you have to do by law.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:33 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Another step closer to Fascist USA. I happen to live in unincorporated LA and can't believe they are doing this. For those who think California is the "liberal" paradise, you are sadly mistaken. We are so controlled by regulations (those of us who are here legally of course, illegals are exempt from the enforcement of law here) that I can barely breathe anymore. I want out. So they think mandating sterilization of our pets to save money for the city is OK? Well why don't they take it a step further and mandate human sterilization too? I think the city, county and state coffers would swell a thousandfold in comparison to the pet population control efforts. (I don't actually promote human sterilization for any reason, unless of course it is voluntary - but I hope you get the point.)

Old 02-27-2008, 12:51 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Another step closer to Fascist USA. I happen to live in unincorporated LA and can't believe they are doing this.
Yet another reason why I'm THRILLED that I moved from "unincorporated LA".

Old 02-27-2008, 02:35 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,525,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
correct - what they are saying is that IF you have a competition dog and meet the requirements of the definitions of such (outlined in the link I provided), then the dog can be exempt from the spay/neuter ordinance.
But if have to spay/neuter by age 4 months who has time to train/show by this time. You will hae to keep dog out of area til ready.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:38 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post

There are links on this page to the "approved" registeries and breed clubs:

New Ordinance Introduction Page - Department of Animal Care & Control

Even at first glance I can see lots of loopholes and ways around the restrictions....the law seems really stupid and unenforceable....
That's the one from a year and a half ago though. Is there anything more recent?

Old 02-27-2008, 03:37 PM

98 posts, read 454,064 times
Good for you, LA. The thousands of animals needlessly killed at shelters each year pay the price for human greed, irresponsibility, and stupidity. Some laws are necessary in our society, this is one of them.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:58 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Why is it nececary ? If thats the case we need to put warnings on knives cause they can hurt. An animal isnt mature enough at 4 months to be neutered either imo.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:31 PM

335 posts, read 1,533,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Yet another reason why I'm THRILLED that I moved from "unincorporated LA".
It's not that big of a deal to neuter an animal.

What bugs me more are these fascist laws in Massachusetts that say you have to have health insurance -- now that's a chunk of change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs