Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:24 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
They should be more concerned about cats. There are leash laws and laws about not allowing dogs to roam freely, but no such laws with cats because of the nature of cats. Cats can and do wander freely, mate freely, have kittens and if no one cares for those kittens they will become feral and that creats a whole new set of issues.
Yes, they should. And, again, in my 4 years, living in a lovely part of "unincorporated LA", the powers that be were none the wiser about my two feline friends.

Of course, I'm "responsible" with my guys, but what about those people who aren't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 09:52 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post

Is it the person who simply views their animals as possessions? THOSE are the people that would see the "x hours of community service" as a calculated risk. With so many millions of people (and animals) in the city, I wonder about the viability of enforcement of this, within budget constraints.

While, again, I say, it's a great idea...the enforcement of it is something that I'll wait to see about. I have serious doubts, but LA has surprised me once or twice before, maybe they'll do it again.
Maybe that's a fringe benefit .

Maybe having a dog will become too much of a hassle for those folks and they'll think twice about getting any more dogs. We have a large supply of dogs, we don't need any additional demand, we just need to take care of what we have.

There will also be the societal pressure now for people in LA to spay/neuter. If you don't do it, your peers will pressure you to do so, "it is the law after all" . People who don't follow the law and spay/neuter will wonder if the neighbor is going to turn them in. Female dog owners may slide by, but the male dog owners won't!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
There will also be the societal pressure now for people in LA to spay/neuter. If you don't do it, your peers will pressure you to do so, "it is the law after all" . People who don't follow the law and spay/neuter will wonder if the neighbor is going to turn them in. Female dog owners may slide by, but the male dog owners won't!
Oh, that just made me crack up. If my fellow "Angleans" had said this to me, I would, at best, have said "yup" to their face, and then chuckled my way back home.

Now, about the narcs....that will truly be an interesting thing, should it come up.

I honestly don't see that happening, but, like I said, LA has surprised me once or twice before...and, maybe, with THIS, people will jump on the bandwagon.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Oh, that just made me crack up. If my fellow "Angleans" had said this to me, I would, at best, have said "yup" to their face, and then chuckled my way back home.

Now, about the narcs....that will truly be an interesting thing, should it come up.

I honestly don't see that happening, but, like I said, LA has surprised me once or twice before...and, maybe, with THIS, people will jump on the bandwagon.
Well let's say you have a male dog and you like to go to the dog park....there's going to be some whispering if your dog is still intact. There's a good chance you'll be confronted or reported.

When I went to dog parks, I was really annoyed when people would bring their male intact dogs into the park (against the dog park rules and they always seemed to cause problems with the other male dogs). Now if there was a LAW against it?

Old 02-28-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Well let's say you have a male dog and you like to go to the dog park....there's going to be some whispering if your dog is still intact. There's a good chance you'll be confronted or reported.

When I went to dog parks, I was really annoyed when people would bring their male intact dogs into the park (against the dog park rules and they always seemed to cause problems with the other male dogs). Now if there was a LAW against it?
After living in LA for 4 years, and not having a dog, but knowing quite a few people who did...

Frankly, I'd see the "reporting" happening, if you didn't have anything otherwise to offer to the person who wanted to call in. Seriously, what sort of person would narc on this? And, to boot, how would they know how to get a hold of this offender?

Now, if I could get the hotline to report people who felt that it was ok to let their little canine poopsies come up to me and "sniff", I'd be all over it. Other than that? I seriously don't see much coming from the "dog park" scenario, considering that there aren't too many of those in LA to begin with.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:00 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
umm, now this scenario makes me wonder if vets will be reporting the owners of intact pets into animal control. if this was to occur, why would someone dead set on having an intact animal bother to bring their pet to the vet at all?

I don't live in LA, but I just can't picture a scene where passerbys are going to tattle on you for breaking a "minor" law like this. don't a ton of people still own ferrets in CA w/o repercussions? do people tattle on those pet owners? IDK, maybe I'm a bit jaded, but I think it's far more likely for people to simply ignore this instead of running off to the police (I know I for one wouldn't be the one to confront every person w/ an intact dog. you can't just look at a dog's balls and assume the owner is breaking the law and should be reported)

and, again, I do wonder how this law is going to be enforced. LA is such a huge city, there just doesn't see to be a way to get everyone there under compliance w/o it costing a huge amount of money. and the city seems to have a lot of other issues that's more deserving of money more than this (like education for example).

anyways, we'll see how this works out in a year or so

Old 02-29-2008, 07:23 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
For those in Los Angeles, what is the cost of a spay/neuter? I live in a rural area in TN so Im sure the unwanted pet problem dosent compare to CA, but I think more education/promotions and cheaper prices would be more effective than a law that would be so difficult to enforce.
I am thankful for the new spay/neuter clinic in my area. I recently inherited an intact male, left by the previous owner when I bought my house. I already had 4 dogs and didnt need another, but kept him anyway. Thru a special at the clinic I got him neutered for 25$. The last cat I rescued cost me 130$ at the vet. I about pooped a brick when they told me the price. This would be a deal breaker for many ppl in deciding to take in an unwanted animal.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:17 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
Remind me to never move to LA... or Cali for that matter

And I do spay/neuter my pets. LA however should be focusing on spay/neutering their celebrities instead

Old 03-01-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
umm, now this scenario makes me wonder if vets will be reporting the owners of intact pets into animal control. if this was to occur, why would someone dead set on having an intact animal bother to bring their pet to the vet at all?
The vets might be required to report it.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:02 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

I don't live in LA, but I just can't picture a scene where passerbys are going to tattle on you for breaking a "minor" law like this. don't a ton of people still own ferrets in CA w/o repercussions? do people tattle on those pet owners? IDK, maybe I'm a bit jaded, but I think it's far more likely for people to simply ignore this instead of running off to the police (I know I for one wouldn't be the one to confront every person w/ an intact dog. you can't just look at a dog's balls and assume the owner is breaking the law and should be reported)

and, again, I do wonder how this law is going to be enforced. LA is such a huge city, there just doesn't see to be a way to get everyone there under compliance w/o it costing a huge amount of money. and the city seems to have a lot of other issues that's more deserving of money more than this (like education for example).

anyways, we'll see how this works out in a year or so
Seems almost Orwellian, doesn't it? I'll tell you how they are doing this - they've been doing daily sweeps throughout our neighborhood. Door to door - pay up and show the proof that you have spayed or neutered. They leave a paper at the houses where no one is home, and it says that they will have to appear in court if they do not comply. My neighbors across the street apparently didn't "go with the flow" because the husband took the dog to work and brought it home in the evening when the Animal Control Officer was gone for the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs