Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 18,039 times

Advertisements

To everyone who says to get together the finance before getting an animal. That is true. I think working as a part time and going to school full time limits my ability to financially care for an animal. I will reconsider getting a dog after I start working full time.

I can definitely afford his vet visits and anything emergency but that'll be digging into my savings if so. (I get maybe around 700 a month from my part time, I can work longer hours, but that'll be less time for my dog)

I think I'll need to do even more research on the type of dog to get. I thought I would give enough time to my boxer mix, but I felt like the whole time I wasn't good enough for him.

Thanks everyone for input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 09:32 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
Only you could have made the decision what to do with the rescue dog.

My son and daughter-in-law have a rescue dog (been a year). They also have to young children whom were 5 & 2 when they got him. It was a rough year. When first brought home it had all the classic rescue dog symptoms. Jumpy/nerves, not trustworthy, accidents. The oldest treated the dog terribly, and the dog would growl and we all feared for the worst (biting). The kids received a few scratches here and there, usually in retaliation for being bad with the dog. But my son grew too attached, and risked it with the kids. Much improvement in a year, but he made the decision to stick with him and work at it. That's a personal decision. Personally I would have returned the dog due to having children.

I would never get a rescue. I would only get a dog from a breeder (I grew up with 2 poodles from breeders). My daughter has a Boston Terrier. Very simple dog, easy to care for. I loved the mini poodle when I was a teenager. There are many great breeds out there if you really want to get a dog.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:52 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
The oldest treated the dog terribly, Personally I would have returned the dog due to having children.

I would never get a rescue. I would only get a dog from a breeder (I grew up with 2 poodles from breeders). My daughter has a Boston Terrier. Very simple dog, easy to care for. I loved the mini poodle when I was a teenager. There are many great breeds out there if you really want to get a dog.
Goodness, what a post!

Firstly, I would discipline the kids. What kind of monster lets his kids treat dogs terribly? Me? Get rid of the kids, keep the dog.

As to rescue dogs, B.S. I've had both purebreds (a couple of champions, too, in both conformation and obedience), and strays/rescues. I certainly don't believe in backyard/puppy mill breeding, but the unfortunate dog in need of rescue is already born, so why not give it a chance? Purebreds are fine, but absolutely no better than rescues.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:20 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
You did the right thing, just learn from it. You need to be financially secure before owning a dog because there are always things that come up. One of my babies needs to have knee surgery in both back legs, which will cost around $4,000. If you are worried about $50 here and there, you don't have the means to take care of a dog during the bad times.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:49 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You did the right thing, just learn from it. You need to be financially secure before owning a dog because there are always things that come up. One of my babies needs to have knee surgery in both back legs, which will cost around $4,000. If you are worried about $50 here and there, you don't have the means to take care of a dog during the bad times.
A friend of mine needed to take out a second mortgage out after her dog needed over $10,000 for several surgeries.

While, I don't necessary feel that means that every dog owner needs to always have $10,000 on hand, it does show that unexpected expenses can be pretty high. Be prepared.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:24 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
It's good to have a cushion of at least $10,000 if you're going to own a dog (Germaine, I had not read your post yet when I wrote this ).

Some do it without having money saved, and IMO, a rescue dog who didn't have to live in a shelter for a year is a happier dog, even if you have to have him put down at the end of that year because you can't afford a $4,000 operation he needs. He might not have lived the rest of the week, let alone the rest of the year, if he'd stayed in the shelter. But you'll both be happier if you can afford the operation.

I think you've learned the very important lesson that you're not ready yet to have a dog. I'm glad you were able to return the dog. Oh, and don't listen to anyone who would recommend never rescuing a pet. I've never heard such foolish "advice."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs