U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:27 AM

1,587 posts, read 6,681,886 times

Advertisements

Even if go to Home Depot /Menards get a kennel run if not ready for full fenced yard.I have my set up where doggie door in wall to a outside fenced deck 16x 20 then a kennel panel fence by house to kennel run that is 4x12 and then a 12 by 36 run all cemented in. Panels are like 60 bucks for a 6x12 panel so cheaper for small area til decide if want to fence yard for children and dogs in future.If smaller dog and willing to take on daily walks not need such a large kennel run.
Sounds like otherwise ready and commited to the dog you get which is good.I would go hound mix if good with kids or the JRT and not the wiener dog as they seem nippier and not want little one scared of a dog right away.

Good luck on your choice,still check and see if take for weekend evaluate in your house. Welcome back to the world of being owned by a pet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 AM

10,732 posts, read 31,746,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
You can do an invisible fence. Which is cheaper than a regular fence. But the dog still must be supervised, just like on a tie-out. Cause the invisible fences don't keep things out, just keeps your dog from running away. Definitely pros and cons but it is an option, esp if you have a large yard that will be expensive to chainlink.

"I was a little offended that you think a puppy would end up at the shelter after 1 or 2 years. " ... SO many people do this, just ask the rescue groups and the animal shelters!
I used to have a neighbor who had the sweetest more exuberant Golden. They had the invisible fence but you could see the dog squint and run through it too escape. He loved to play with the kids SO much.

Dogs are alot of work and I personally prefer cats. I can't keep on my mind to keep taking a dog out to potty.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:18 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,880,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I used to have a neighbor who had the sweetest more exuberant Golden. They had the invisible fence but you could see the dog squint and run through it too escape. He loved to play with the kids SO much.
That's why I don't have an invisible fence...I just know that would be my dog. Especially when the Evil Black Cat(tm) from across the street comes and sits on the front walk. He knows exactly to the inch just how far my dog's nose and paws can get through the fence, and he'll sit there a hair's breadth out of reach, and groom himself while balefully staring at my poor dog, who is desperately trying to get a good big whiff of cat-butt and failing.

I swear, that cat taunts my dog. If I had an electronic fence, my dog would be gone in a flash.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:34 AM

2,008 posts, read 5,226,986 times
I'm not a huge fan of the invisible fence thing. Cats do frequent our yard. I, too, love cats, hence my screenname. But my husband is big time allergic and I don't want to put him through that again. I brought my cat when we got married, he fell in love with him even though he suffered miserably. Finally, our little furball died giving my husband much needed relief.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:18 AM

2,658 posts, read 10,465,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post

The fence is our biggest obstacle, my neighbors have two small dogs that they put on a lead, but they are mostly indoor dogs. I don't want to put a dog or puppy on a lead in the yard. Maybe my youngest is very young, but his eyes light up like a Christmas tree every time he sees a dog. But honestly, I'm at home, doing nothing but being a good mom to my kids, so why not one more?? But anyhow, thanks again for all your responses.
There are dogs that do well without a fenced in yard but they just require frequent walks. If you have a 2 person jogging stroller you can easily manage your "Three kids". My dog requires 2 walks or he can act up since he has too much energy.

With 2 young'uhns, you are better off with a low energy dog with a good temperament.

If you guys don't have allergies, then your choices are pretty wide. It boils down to size and cost.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:19 PM

5,640 posts, read 17,292,960 times
For most people, a small to medium sized dog is enough dog...

Also if you get a kennel run - make sure you check your zoning codes and /or HOA codes to make sure they allow one and verify where it can be placed. Also a fence, get a survey before you get one installed.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:53 PM

13,297 posts, read 25,495,518 times
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I know you're asking because you want to make the right decision for everyone. But so many people do find that a dog and babies don't mix.
I took an 8-year-old beagle from a co-worker who got him at age 6 when she knew she was pregnant. He was great with the baby (ear pulling and all). But he bays a lot. Like when the baby (and next baby) are sleeping. He grabs food like a dying man, and could hurt a child by accident.
I do absolutely agree with those who suggest some kind of enclosure for regular toileting. Especially with two kids (and weather changes), who wants to be trudging outside on a regular basis for toileting? I had a smallish area fenced in outside my back door- no $2,000 (although eventually I did pay $3K to do the full yard) and it was all gravel, and the dogs could be let in and out as much as they liked. On nice days, they liked to lounge on the steps, in fact, they rarely now use the whole yard- end up on the deck where they can see the neighborhood better.
I also don't like invisible fencing, due to, in addition to escapes, rabid raccoons (a problem some summers here). You can't keep a determined dog in (squirrel chasers, etc.) I see no advantage to them over a small fenced area or really over any fenced area.
I had a friend with a 2-year-old who asked me to bring my two 35-pound mutts over because "Alicia loves dogs." One bark, and she was hysterical. She liked dogs *on video* at her age.
Again, no offense meant. But people mean well, and the dog so often becomes too much trouble with young children, stay-home parent or not.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:42 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,824,914 times
As a JRT owner I'm gonna tell you that is NOT the dog for you and your family. They are still bred as working dogs, they are meant for farms. JRT's are a dominant type dog and "mellow" yah mines mellow however, I spend at least an hour a day exercising my dog rain/shine well or sick. And I don't mean a stroll, I mean a work out and my guy is now in his middle teens and still has plenty of get up and go. A JRT will never be 100% reliable off leash.

Consider breed rescue if you want a breed. I do know Boston Terriers do well with children so you might contact their rescue group.

Be sure to do some more research about the breeds your interested in. Most breed rescue groups eval the dogs and try to place them in appropriate homes. I spent years learning about different breeds until I made my decision.

Also, most rescue groups will not let you have a dog without a fenced yard. There are cheaper ways to fence...T-posts with no-climb. I'm in my late 50's and I can pound a T-post in...just wait until after a rainstorm. Then after they set get a couple of friends to come help you strech and attach the no-climb fencing. You can get what you need at Home Depot or Lowes type stores.

I have 4 acres of fenced and crossed fenced electric fencing for horses that I did by myself...it's not hard.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:37 PM

2,988 posts, read 6,472,123 times
If you don't have a fence, I would go for something smallish - that way your four year old can take him out on a leash in your own backyard in a year or two. My youngest can take our dachshund out for a "potty walk" in the yard without any difficulty. A grown-up or big kid still needs to take care of the "real walk"s, but the little one can handle a quick potty break.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:17 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,022,535 times
Please don't go the invisible fence route. If shocking is such a good training aid, it would be used on problem kids as well as dogs. There's an alternative that may be cost-effective for you. Dog Fences - Best Friend Fence Dog Fences

I understand how much you want a dog now, but it really would be best to wait until your youngest is a little older. Even the gentlest dog can be impatient with noisy and demanding little children. Never leave a dog and a young child alone, not even for a moment.

If you just don't want to wait, I second the opinion of those who encourage you to consider an older dog from a rescue or a shelter. I'm in rescue and we have many older dogs that have years and years of love and life left to them, but they languish in foster homes because many people think, erroneously, that older dogs don't bond with people as easily as young dogs do. That's not the case, however. Older dogs seem to know that they've been given another chance and they will bond with you just as intensely as would a puppy. In addition, with an older dog, what you see is what you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs