U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:15 AM

2,008 posts, read 5,226,300 times

Advertisements

Funny to see this thread being brought back from the dead.... since all this, we have still gone back and forth. I've even been to the shelter (I'm off the puggle thing), and decided that it just isn't the right time for a dog.... so, to make a long story even longer, we got a bunny (don't worry, I did all the research). We got him from a rescue and he's been a great furry addition. He's tame, tolerant, mostly littertrained, and cute as all heck. Now that we are locked into the bunny thing, the dog will have to wait....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 09:51 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,206,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Look at what Titanium said about how much he's already spent on his recent Bichon rescue. I've spent about half of that (a little less than $1000) already on an abandoned dog I took in roughly 5 months ago.

Dogs can be expensive. If you don't have the fence in place, and then you suddenly realize you need it, will you be able to have one put in? Will there still be money left over for vet care?

I'm not saying the OP should not get a dog, we all know there are dogs that need good homes, I'm just saying that we have to be realistic about what dogs really need....they need more than just love.

Great post! I agree!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:59 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,206,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Thanks for all the links and thanks for your responses.

I'm just trying to do the responsible thing and really think hard about this decision because yes, it's a 15 year commitment. I was a little offended that you think a puppy would end up at the shelter after 1 or 2 years. Once we make the decision to get a dog, it's ours for life. We are not the types of people who would surrender a pet so easily. It would probably have to bite my kid's arm off before we give it up once we have it.

I mostly agreed with the poster who said that the dogs at the shelter wouldn't be suitable for us, but once I started looking, I found some real nice looking dogs and was even able to chat with a foster mom. So there's a 2 year old basset/blue tick type dog that is cute and gentle. There's a dachund puppy mix who is very cute but still a very young puppy (4 months). The thought of a puppy sort of scares me because of the intense amount of work. But then it can be trained quite easily. Then there's a JRT which is about 2, kind of a mellow Jack Russel who came from a family with kids. I think any one of these dogs would be a good match for us.

The fence is our biggest obstacle, my neighbors have two small dogs that they put on a lead, but they are mostly indoor dogs. I don't want to put a dog or puppy on a lead in the yard. Maybe my youngest is very young, but his eyes light up like a Christmas tree every time he sees a dog. But honestly, I'm at home, doing nothing but being a good mom to my kids, so why not one more?? But anyhow, thanks again for all your responses.

A fenced yard is a must! My rescue group and most would not adopt out any dog without a fenced yard! Especially with small children in the home. My rescue group would not even adopt a puppy or dog to a family with children under 12. Kids open doors and let dogs out and parents are too busy to be concerned with a pup or dog when young children need to be attended too! It is a fact! Not being mean, just trying to possibly keep another stray dog off the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs