Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 04:32 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times

Advertisements

I made sure there was no artificial sweetener in it. But I had to guess as to whether made from regular peanuts or roasted was better. I chose regular kind, but IDK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 05:40 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
For me as long as there is no sweetener, artificial or natural the dog and I enjoy it. I don't think roasted or not makes a difference, we both like crunchy.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
For me as long as there is no sweetener, artificial or natural the dog and I enjoy it. I don't think roasted or not makes a difference, we both like crunchy.
Well, I looked at the kind I had before and it was regular peanuts it was made from. And that has been fine, so I guess I'm good.

The more natural brands seemed to use regular peanuts is how I decided that was probably better.

No one in the store new. They all said they didn't even know dogs like peanut butter. I use it to give pills. She can't separate the pills from the pb and leave them! and it's a nice treat for a hurt doggie.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
hm. I couldn't find any with no sweetener. This kind has dried cane syrup and molasses. Has to be better than artificial or hydrogenated corn syrup or whatever that crap is called that is in everything almost.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:08 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
As far as dogs are concerned, you want to look at the ingredients and only use jars that do NOT contain XYLITOL. That is what everyone is worried about and in fact, xylitol can be toxic for dogs.

All peanuts in peanut butter are roasted, whether they say it or not. The only other way to eat peanuts is boiled in the shell. And cane sugar and molasses and even corn syrup are not toxic, only fattening.

Xylitol Deadly to Dogs? : snopes.com

Old 12-02-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
As far as dogs are concerned, you want to look at the ingredients and only use jars that do NOT contain XYLITOL. That is what everyone is worried about and in fact, xylitol can be toxic for dogs.

All peanuts in peanut butter are roasted, whether they say it or not. The only other way to eat peanuts is boiled in the shell. And cane sugar and molasses and even corn syrup are not toxic, only fattening.

Xylitol Deadly to Dogs? : snopes.com
Thanks for the info! I still like the natural sugar cane better. It's worth the extra dollar to me for that and whatever else I liked about this jar. She doesn't care, of course. It's all yummy to her! But Mommy hovers and worries .....

Old 12-03-2016, 12:05 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
As long as you aren't making the dog a peanut butter sandwich for lunch every day, the amount of sugar a dog would get just to take pills wouldn't be enough sugar to worry about.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:12 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
I did some research about Xylitol products because I was curious if I had any in my house.

Here is an (incomplete but lengthy) list of products with Xylitol in them. Xylitol Products | Preventive Vet

(Juicy Fruit gum and Jello products surprised me not that I'd ever feed these to my dogs)

Quote: Please exercise extreme caution and keep these products out of reach of your dogs. If you suspect your dog has ingested a product containing xylitol contact your veterinarian, Pet Poison Control or go to your local Animal ER right away. Xylitol toxicity is dangerous and can be fatal to dogs.
This list of 700+ products, made with xylitol is not 100% comprehensive but it's the best we've found online."

Old 12-03-2016, 04:23 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
If you live near a health food store go there and see if they grind their own peanut butter. The oil may rise to the top after a while but just stir it back in.

Otherwise look for an all natural peanut butter in your favorite market, but be sure to read the ingredients, these you will also have to stir the oil as it settles to the top which means it's not processed as much.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:58 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
An alternative to peanut butter for disguising medication is Baby Food in the small glass jars (sold in the baby food department of grocery stores) Dogs LOVE it and it lasts for about 4 days in the fridge as long as you don't contaminate it with a dirty spoon or you can just use half and freeze the other half for later use.

No additives, no salt, nothing harmful in any way unless your dog has allergies to it. I used to get either Beef or Chicken for our finicky old girl when she turned her nose up at Peanut butter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs