Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 01:26 AM

1,029 posts, read 2,482,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
What about a professional pet sitter? You can leave him in the garage and have someone stop by a few times a day to water, feed, and walk him. It's usually cheaper than boarding.

He only like me and the ex. Is mean to everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Is he aggressive to humans or dogs or both? I would think that a good kennel might be better for him than a garage. And if somehow, some idiot opens the gate to the fence or teases the dog when the dog is in the yard and the dog gets out and bites a person or hurts another dog, you and the dog could both be in trouble.
The garage has an alarm system. he is safe and if someone brakes in, the cops wills show up.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:47 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
WHAT!!! 1st you said the EX LEFT Him! 2nd you said EX HOMELESS NOW You say you are AFRAID the EX Will STEAL HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW There is a HUGE Differnce in Leaving a dog for 6 Hours AFTER He has been Exercised than Leaving Him for 4 DAYS & No Exercise!! BTW I Beginning to think its YOU that Wants to Keep this Dog Away from your Ex... Just GIVE the man HIS DOG! Then ALL 3 of you can enjoy Christmas.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:35 AM

981 posts, read 899,886 times
Quote:
What about a professional pet sitter? You can leave him in the garage and have someone stop by a few times a day to water, feed, and walk him. It's usually cheaper than boarding.
Yes, this is a good idea - have someone come in 3x per day to let him out. Even with food, I dont know how he can stay in the garage without being let out to go the bathroom for 4 days? The garage will be trashed and he will be seriously stressed not being able to go out. 6 hours is one thing, 4 days is another.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:19 AM

He does not like other people! He is aggressive. He attacked a Sheriff who pulled me over 2 years ago.

2 days ago he lunged at a homeless man who was collecting beers cans from my recyable container and the guy was on the sidewalk, I was walking him on leash.

This is like a police dog. Very sensitive to noises also.

He is also into movies. Dog tv also. I have to be careful. He is watching Vicky Christina Barcelona rite now.

He likes it so far. He really liked the tripe (cow stomach unwashed)

I am just trying to see if I can maybe make my garage a temporary dog cave for 4 days.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:35 AM

Now he is in the backyard scaring off field mice or a possum...

Old 12-07-2016, 06:38 AM

6,561 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
Still unsure about this not leaving him in garage thing. I can leave him 4 days worth of food and water.

Let a neighbor know in case of fire etc...

What if I died today? He would be in the garage for at least a month. I have no friends or family close by.
The food will not last 4 days. Dogs will eat until they're sick. He may eat all the food in the first couple of hours you're gone. Then you'll have an even bigger mess to clean up. What if he runs out of water? What if he turns over the water bowl shortly after you leave? A dog cannot go days without water.

If your only option is to leave him unattended for four days - don't go on the trip or shorten the trip to one day (which is what I would choose to do if I were in your situation). If you choose to keep this dog, you'll need to address his aggression issues or find a kennel that is willing to board him, otherwise, no more trips until he passes.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:40 AM

He acts so Old man most of the time though. Mellow but...

I wish I was like the dog whisperer..

Old 12-07-2016, 07:01 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Great idea. This problem is not insurmountable like some posters say it is. OP has many options. Here are my suggestions:

1. Take him to a dog kennel where he will have his own dog run. Let the kennel know he should not be allowed to interact with other dogs. It sounds like he is not aggressive toward humans, so this option is a very good one. He doesn't need to go to a special kennel as long as he is kept away from other dogs. If you choose this option, be sure he is up to date on all vaccines, as kennels require proof of this.

2. Hire a petsitter to come by and check on him. You have cameras, so you can be sure he is being taken care of. I only suggest this option if he is OK with being alone for long periods of time and you trust the petsitter completely.

3. Board the dog in the petsitter's home. This is the option I use with my two Great Danes. My petsitter is extremely experienced, since she has worked as a vet tech and with the Humane Society for many years. GDs don't do well mentally in traditional kennel situations. I have taken them to her at least 20 times, and it has worked out beautifully.

Cancel your vacation because of the dog? You have got to be kidding. Dog owners deserve to have a life without the dog. There are people here to help us out with that.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:28 AM

965 posts, read 939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
He acts so Old man most of the time though. Mellow but...
Then just take him with you, and leave him in your room?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs