Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:28 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,696,094 times

Advertisements

Well, my father just got diagnosed with multiple myeloma and he is not doing well. Since he lives 4 hours away and I am at his bedside from morning until night (to let my mom sleep at home so she can tend to him during the night), I have to leave my poor doggy boarded at the vet.

This condition is a long term thing and it will require me to visit my dad every chance I get. I am leaving again for a week.

My poor dog was boarded for 5 days and I will be gone for another set of 8-9 days.

Please advise. I love our little baby boy. I don't want to give him up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 06:30 PM

335 posts, read 1,529,663 times
What kind of dog do you have?

Don't you have a friend who can take him for a while?

I usually take my dog with me wherever I go.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post
What kind of dog do you have?

Don't you have a friend who can take him for a while?

I usually take my dog with me wherever I go.
Bichon Frise

Not really.

I don't have time to take care of him, right now.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:52 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,391,368 times
I don't know how ill your father is but dogs are used in hospitals all the time to help lift patient's spirits. Is it possible that you could bring the dog with you and he/she could become a friend to your father? He would be with you then, it takes no time to feed him, and you may find it actually helps your dad. Just an idea...

Old 02-27-2008, 06:52 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,139,341 times
I'm sorry to hear about your dad, and i'm hoping that everything will work out for all of you. Is there a possibility for you to take your dog along to your dad's house, bring a crate or keep him in separate room? Just a thought, i don't want to jump in conclusions, but that something i would do. I've had my dogs in a kennel ones, i usually take them with me whenever i go. Your dog is pretty small size, so may be something like this could be managed?

Old 02-27-2008, 06:54 PM

32 posts, read 215,239 times
Have you tried any pet sitters? They come to your home and walk the dog x amount of times a day. When I go out of town, my dog stays at a farm outside of Memphis. Check if there are any Doggie Day Cares that keep them over night. Also, if there are any petsmarts in the area, they have a great doggie hotel. Time to play, not just stuck in boarding.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:02 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,542,557 times
So sorry to hear about your dad. If your mom doesn't want you to keep your dog at her house, of if she is in a rental and can't have pets, perhaps one of her neighbors or friends could help you while you're helping your dad. I wish you the best.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:33 PM

I want to bring him with me but since I will spend about 12 hours in the hospital, keeping him at home is not an option. The neighborhood is not too safe to walk at night. I may kennel him here since it seems like the only option.

Thanks.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:58 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,501,087 times
First my prayers with you and your family

Was thinking take dog with and if mom cannot keep with her a neighbor of thiers may be willing also as what you and parents are going through.Times like these that people open their hearts and homes for others.
Maybe someone nearby could also foster him til you have the time again to take care of him. You got this dog from a rescue cannot remember,if did maybe old foster family take him back for time being? Ask in here maybe someone is close by who could foster for a bit,not exactly same as knowing them personally but get to know people a bit through here and we all animal lovers, be worth a try.
Keep us updated and please try some of these ideas before giving up.
Tell Mom and Dad all your friends from here pulling for ya's also.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:18 PM

5,322 posts, read 18,197,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Well, my father just got diagnosed with multiple myeloma and he is not doing well. Since he lives 4 hours away and I am at his bedside from morning until night (to let my mom sleep at home so she can tend to him during the night), I have to leave my poor doggy boarded at the vet.

This condition is a long term thing and it will require me to visit my dad every chance I get. I am leaving again for a week.

My poor dog was boarded for 5 days and I will be gone for another set of 8-9 days.

Please advise. I love our little baby boy. I don't want to give him up.
I've got a poodle-bichon mix who has been boarding with us since Septmber and he's dong fine. Mind you, some dogs can get kennel sour, however you are breaking up the boards with home time. Can you take the dog with you and find a daycare nearby to allow him to use spent energy? Then you'll have him at night to give you a slice of normal.

I say this as I just lost my mom on the 3rd of this month and I know what it meant to me to be able to be with my furkids during these past few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs