U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:31 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,497,483 times

Advertisements

I really am impressed w/ my Cody. He play fetch(that took years to get down ....bleh), he put his toys away and our socks. He loves kids and softens as they come near him. He will sit so little kids can pet him. Our neighbors kids walk him about once a week because they think he's so much fun.
He's a awesome goalie in a soccer game and when on the farm he checks in about every 20 feet, just to make sure his mommy is there. He barks at us if we clap around my nephew(he thinks we are hurting him) and is the cutest pup in the world. I'M BRAGGING!!!! If needed he will sit on the couch all day due to my busy schedule but he sure does appreciate a good run or walk.
HE's a bit of a bigot due to past abuse but its understandable and we are working on it.
And if you are wearing a uniform or a poodle, just stay away from our home a Cody turns into a rotti!!! =)

Every night he gets on the bed kisses us both and snuggles for about twenty minutes, then again in the morning.
I really do love this dog to much. I tell him all the time that he will always be my favorite kid because he will never talk back to me. ....ok I'm done. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 09:19 AM

452 posts, read 1,527,627 times
You're hooked all right. Dog lovers everywhere understand.

Wendi will follow me wherever I go in the house no matter who else might be around. She'll sleep close by my desk in the daytime because her hearing is going and sometimes, you can step right over her and she won't notice. She doesn't like the idea of being left behind and that's her way of being in on the goings on. She has learned to sleep out of the way tho so she won't be stppd on at night tho.

She's not around kids much but I do take her to a nursing home for visits and she's really good with old folks. Good thing...I'm one myself

Old 03-30-2008, 07:26 PM

511 posts, read 790,405 times
I have 2 shelties, both males. One is timid and 24 pounds and the other is a rascal and 16 pounds. My husband and I love them dearly, absolutley the best dogs IMO. They are so funny and have personalities so different from each other. One is brave and the other afraid of his own shadow. They are very loving and don't like to let us out of their sight, where we go they go. They don't do well around strangers, they will bark continuously if someone is around they don't know, a little annoying but minor compared to all the positive things they have to offer. Sooooo love them.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:41 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,375,555 times
I loved reading all your stories! Thanks. Rep'd everyone!

The ARE smart. Very easily trained. They're affectionate too. Our older sheltie never sleeps (I don't think). He must spend his life 24x7 dozing only, poor guy. If he catches a bit more serious shut-eye, his chin has to be resting on my foot, so he'll know when I move. They can't let you out of their sight, you know. Something could happen to you!
Such loyalty. At night, he starts out on my feet in the bed, but then later sleeps where he can see us and the other dogs. He feels he has to take care of everybody.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:12 AM

I'm not surprised that it's a trait of the breed. Good to hear tho. I've often wondered if maybe she needed therapy. Like her mom.

Is it also common for a sheltie to be devastated when scolded?? One octave higher than normal in your voice and wendi hangs her head. She doesn't need it often but she's developed a dislike for cats now (we have strays in the area) and we have to watch her very closely around the one we have. She went for his throat when he was a baby...I think he got his claw into her accidentally. He learned very quickly that she wasn't his buddy. Could have something to do with her age I guess. Maybe a bit cranky?? She forgives very easily tho....one word of praise and she's wiggling all over.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:10 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,497,483 times
ohhh yelling at cody has only been done about 3 times in his life and I was apologizing and on the floor w/ him after about 5 minutes.
He got in the trash one day(only happened about 3 times in his life) and I came home and of course said "what is this Cody!!!!" ...cody hit the floor crying and ran into the closet. I cleaned up and then went into the closet w/ him to comfort him. I can't really bring myself to spank him as he is so sensitive. He then followed me around the rest of the day and kept apologizing ...poor baby. =)

He's such a baby!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:44 PM

Sensitive. They're very sensitive.... which fits MY own personality. I can't recall ever spanking wendi....don't think she'd live thru that. She's at the groomer's right now and that's what I hate...having to leave her there all afternoon. They're good with her but I keep having to remind myself why I don't see her at my feet all the time....she's AT THE GROOMER'S...relax.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:31 PM

5,136 posts, read 8,659,414 times
Smile Shelties - I love them!!!

Thanks for all the input!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 12:44 PM

511 posts, read 790,405 times
I love to see other shelties out and about for a walk with their mom or dad, it always brings a smile to my face to know that someone else is blessed with such a loyal friend like I am with my 2 shelties. I have enjoyed reading the posts and how similar the stories are to mine.

Does anyone have an issue with their dog getting car sick, and if so any tips or remedies for the poor little thing. One of my shelties has a hard time with driving in the car, while the other one rides just fine. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:22 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,350,745 times
The Frederick News-Post : Video Player
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or