Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 06:44 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervousnewyorkieowner View Post
I have a new yorkie male who is 11 weeks. We're on MN and it's winter so this creates a huge problem with outside training that I am accustomed to. He just freezes up immediately. I have researched on many sites, crate train vs play pen...pee pads. Do the go in the pen or not!? This guy will pee and then come in and pee again 2 minutes later. Pooping has been easy because he has a huge tell. But he pees whenever and I think he'll not make it going outside all winter and I need an inside option that can convert to outside. Help!!
You put a thick sweater on him to go outside? And there are booties, which work well. I used those for snow days for my cocker spaniel. He walked very well in the booties. Yorkies don't have an undercoat and not much fat, and they are so small, that it's MUCH colder to their little bodies than yours.

Second suggestion: I trained one of my dogs (before my current dogs) to use a pee pad in the bathroom, in emergencies. He'd use that during the day when I was at work, and it came in handy on bad weather days and when he got old and sick. They don't always hit the pad, so I put the pad on top of a much larger newspaper pad. Sometimes he'd stand on the pee pad but his wee would be outside of the pee pad.

Third: Do you have a garage? I thought the garage would work well for my current dogs, who don't want to go out in the rain. I used newspapers and pee pads. But they would have none of it. They are thoroughly trained not to potty indoors. But yours is a puppy so young enough to learn to do that. I thought keeping it in the garage would be less risky than confusing them with pottying indoors, even if using a pee pad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 10,947 times
Ah! I can't thank everyone enough! I am SO happy I found this site! I previously had a Yorkie Poo and she was larger than this little guy and was pretty easy to train. I am ditching the crate because he's actually gone in there just to pee! Today he's been doing AWESOME outside. It is about -13 windchill but sunny so it helps with the black fur. I also have a large golden doodle so I've heard that she may help him get it as time goes by. We are supposed to get 8-10 inches of snow tomorrow so we'll see how we do.

Can I ask....should I not let him have water as he pleases and regulate it instead? He seems to be REALLY thirsty and loves to drink water. It is challenging because now I have to put my golden doodle's water away and she has a bladder like a tank.

I ordered some of the reusable pads so I don't have to worry about the puppy chewing them up. It makes me crazy when he goes right next to the pee pad when in his pen. I am having trouble figuring out how to not let him think his entire pen is a bathroom when I really only want him to go on the pad.

Last night was really bad and he peed about 5 times in the kitchen within 20-25 mins. What I don't understand is why he doesn't empty his bladder and sort of goes a little at a time? Sometimes even when he has a BIG release he'll still have more 5-10 minutes later. I really need to start regulating the water but I imagine he is so thirsty after not having access to water for several hours?

We have our first Vet appointment tomorrow so hopefully they will have some insight.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:23 PM

4 posts, read 10,947 times
68551, is this the grass you're referring to:

https://www.amazon.com/PetZoom-Pet-P...words=pet+zoom

Would I have to keep this in his play pen or just plan on teach him to hold it in the pen and wait until we set him on this or outside? I suppose it will be counterproductive if I don't train him to hold it when in his pen. I want him to eventually be able to wait to be let out rather than always just going.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:40 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,124,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervousnewyorkieowner View Post
68551, is this the grass you're referring to:

https://www.amazon.com/PetZoom-Pet-P...words=pet+zoom

Would I have to keep this in his play pen or just plan on teach him to hold it in the pen and wait until we set him on this or outside? I suppose it will be counterproductive if I don't train him to hold it when in his pen. I want him to eventually be able to wait to be let out rather than always just going.

Yes, that's the one!!! it is a link at the top of my post to you. This makes any puppy absolutely trouble free. If you keep it clean it doesn't smell and if you go down the page on Amazon you will see they sell extra grass (so you don't have to make him go on the grass after you just cleaned it and it hasn't dried)
He wont have to use it as much as he gets older and has better control of his bladder. Put it in his playpen as far away from where he sleeps as you can.
Re read how I use it in my first post, you can use it inside or out and it doesn't matter if he has to go 10 times in a half hour he will go on this because he will smell his urine under the grass (be sure to put messed papers underneath the first time you use it to get him started) Let me know how it works out for you, there really isn't anything that is easier!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs