Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 06:58 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times

Advertisements

My 8 1/2 year old schnoodle has been exhibiting signs of teeth sensitivity at meal times. Recently, he will flinch, skitter away from his bowl, and then will stare at it and whine. I'll move the food around and he'll come back for more.

We feed him Blue Buffalo dry food for small breeds. However, he seems to have no problem with eating his treats (Ideal Balance Soft Baked) or the occasional dentastix.

I'm looking for recommendations for a soft kibble of a similar quality. I'd like to avoid wet/canned food because he has the schnauzer beard that I'd like to keep relatively clean. Of course, if that is my only option, that's what we'll do.

I'm hoping there is something on the market that has a simiar texture/softness to Purina Moist and Meaty but is a better quality food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 08:02 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,406 times
I'm not sure, we haven't tried any soft foods.

In the meantime, you could add a little bit of warm water to his dry kibble and let it soak for 15 minutes and see if he will eat it. This will soften it up, but by adjusting the amount of water you add you can control how "wet" it is.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:34 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Best thing to do is start with a dental exam and cleaning. Treating the root cause will help the pain and sensitivity most of all.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:45 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,117 times
Try Fresh pet. It's a sausage meal. My dogs love it. Easy to digest, not messy at all. It's like a big hotdog and you can cut it in smaller pieces if you like. A little pricey but more affordable than its competitors, you can find it at your local Walmart pet section.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:48 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,859 times
I have an older cocker and I mix Cesar's with small kibble and he loves it. He has dental issues that are being treated.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:37 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
You can find Bil-Jac Frozen Dog Food at most pet stores or in the frozen foods section of many Walmart grocery stores. My dogs have always loved it.

Home - America's Freshest Dog Food - Made in the U.S.A - Bil-Jac Frozen Dog Food

Old 12-16-2016, 11:43 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
P.S. I adopt older dogs and often their teeth are worn down badly enough that they have trouble eating dry food. As noted in my post above, I feed Bil-Jac Frozen Dog Food -- but I also feed them canned cat food. Friskies Savory Shreds can pretty much be swallowed without any chewing.

One warning, though -- once a dog eats canned cat food, he'll rarely go back to dry food. One of my older dogs lived many years longer than my vet predicted and ate canned cat food every single day. I know it's not supposed to be healthy for a dog to do that but I have full CBCs done every six months on each dog and never had any problems.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:32 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll look into each one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Best thing to do is start with a dental exam and cleaning. Treating the root cause will help the pain and sensitivity most of all.
Thank you for this.

This coming February will be the two year anniversary of us adopting him. When we brought him in for his initial exam, our vet told us that he would need yearly teeth cleanings because his teeth do not align (and so they don't self clean as well as other dogs' when chewing) and he's had a few teeth pulled. We had his teeth cleaned February of this year.

He's scheduled for his annual check up and blood work in January and I'll ask them to take a peek. We're trying to hold off until February for the dental because our vet runs a special during National Pet Dental Health Month. I don't think it's urgent at this point because he's eating soft treats and chewing on his toys just fine. I've not seen any blood on his toys either. It's just that hard crunchy food. Of course, if it appears to worsen, we won't wait until February.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:46 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
If you can afford it, make half of each meal cooked chicken or turkey. If he is older he needs the high quality protein anyway.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:01 AM

965 posts, read 938,350 times
Have you tried soaking his kibble in broth (no salt)? That might be the best nutrition-wise bet?
I wouldn't go as far as to feed half his meal as meat (sometimes they will just pick out the meat, and you will no longer have a balance). But, adding some meat - in small pieces, with broth might help.

You might boil down a whole chicken, keep adding water, and skim off the fat to dispose of (when it cools). Take out the bones, and keep the rest to scoop over his food each meal. Freeze what you won't use in 3 days.

A little more complicated, but you could also put his food in a blender after soaking it for awhile.
Now that I think of it, canned food would be far less complicated than either of those ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs