Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Pitbull dogs: dog bite, training, health, adopt a dog, no-kill shelter.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:11 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,577,609 times

Advertisements

The pit bull problem is growing. It is currently an epidemic. For whatever reason, owners of pit bulls can't keep their dogs and are out of options. Animals shelters and rescue groups are at maximum capacity and still, more and more pit bulls are in need of homes.

This is nothing new, but the problem is getting worse. It was brought to light in this forum with the below thread. Unfortunately, time is running out for these two dogs. But I and others who have never even seen these two are continuing to try finding a happy ending for them. But this isn't really about these two specific dogs; it's about the pit bull problem nationwide.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...pit-bulls.html

Pit bulls are not like other dogs. Even if they reside in a no-kill shelter, they are twice as likely to go stir crazy in a cage, even though all other needs are being met. They are more likely to turn vicious without daily human interaction. Just getting fed and watered and having their cage or run cleaned out is not the kind of human interaction they need. They need to be walked, played with and talked to, much moreso than any other breed. So even a no-kill shelter is not the best option for these unfortunate dogs if there are not enough volunteers to give each dog individualized attention.

Because of the plight of the two pitbulls in the above link, there is a hunt for a happy ending. I called The Coastal humane Society in Brunswick Maine because it is a no-kill shelter and does not discriminate when it comes to pit bulls. They allow 50% of their dog population to be pit bulls or pit bull crosses. That percentage is at capacity and they cannot take these two pit bulls.

When I was on the phone with the executive director of the shelter, she asked that I keep my eyes and ears open for any pit bull rescue group that might have room or solutions for other unwanted pit bulls. The Humane Society of America is conducting research to find alternatives to the pit bull dilemma and anyone with knowledge of folks who can help, will help or might be able to help are asked to come forward.

Please send me a DM here if you know of anyone, any organization, anywhere in the country that has space available for additional pit bulls. I will see that the information gets to the people who need it to compile a database for not only these two dogs, but others that are already waiting to be adopted or will find themselves in that predicament in the future.

This has become a national tragedy. Please keep your ears open and if you even hear that someone might be able to help or has a solution to the problem, please send me a DM so I can pass the information on.

Disclaimer: I am already aware of the hundreds of happy, well-adjusted pit bulls in the country. This is not about them. This is about the ones that are not in happy families and find themselves without a home.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:28 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,354,129 times
I do admire the fact you are trying to get two "pitbulls" adopted, but the following
Quote:
Pit bulls are not like other dogs. Even if they reside in a no-kill shelter, they are twice as likely to go stir crazy in a cage, even though all other needs are being met. They are more likely to turn vicious without daily human interaction. Just getting fed and watered and having their cage or run cleaned out is not the kind of human interaction they need. They need to be walked, played with and talked to, much moreso than any other breed. So even a no-kill shelter is not the best option for these unfortunate dogs if there are not enough volunteers to give each dog individualized attention.
But the following statement is beyond rediculous and ilinformed to say the least. Youre not going to get anybody to adopt any dog with statements like that above. All it does is add non needed fear.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:59 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,577,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
But the following statement is beyond rediculous and ilinformed to say the least. Youre not going to get anybody to adopt any dog with statements like that above. All it does is add non needed fear.
As pointed out in the original post, this is not necessarily about the two in another thread, although they are certainly deserving of finding a good home, as are all other dogs. The point being made here is that pits need companionship and interaction more than most other breeds and are more likely to suffer from being caged all the time.

It is fact, not something that was made up.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:47 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,354,129 times
All dogs need companionship. None more thanthe other. There are no facts in the paragraph I highlighted. As I said before, thanks for looking for homes for dogs.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:00 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,346,749 times
So as I understand it, what Alice is looking to do is compile a list of rescue groups, animal shelters, or any organization who is actively taking in pit bulls.

If we manage the help the 2 pits in the link Alice provided in the original post, that would be awesome for those 2 dogs. But Alice is looking to compile this resource for other pit bulls in need as well.

Pit bulls really are the Hot Potato right now, they are very difficult to place with few exceptions.....we want to find those exceptions .

Less than 6 months ago, I ran into this myself. I found an abandoned pit bull and thought I'd be able to place her in a rescue. I discovered it was not so easily done. After exhausting the possible placements I could find locally, I gave it a shot taking her into my own home to see if she could fit in. It ended up that she did, so there was a happy ending for that one pit bull, but there are so many others out there in situations just as dire.

If you have any ideas for places that might still be taking in pit bulls, please DM Alice.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:18 PM

158 posts, read 866,402 times
I do not think there are enough qualified people to adopt all these pit bulls. Like you said they are a breed like no other. I do not think the breed should be banned but think owners should legally have to obtain a license to own a pit and breeders to breed.

They are not for the average person. It is sad because in the right hands they can be a wonderful dog. Trying to convince people to adopt a pit bull is a huge mistake. Only people who are fully aware of what it takes to be a good pit owner should adopt.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:30 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,253,485 times
I think all types of bulls and bull mixes should be added to this.
There are tons of bull/lab mixes and I think they call hem that to give them a chance.

lots of lab/bull mixes and all types of bull mixes ..french bull, bull terrior,pit bull,etc.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:10 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,834,494 times
News like this don't help....

Lancaster News Online (http://www.thelancasternews.com/cgi-bin/storyviewnew.cgi?151+NewsLocal.2008229-4154-151-151028.Lead+NewsLocal - broken link)

Old 02-29-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIL View Post
I do not think there are enough qualified people to adopt all these pit bulls. Like you said they are a breed like no other. I do not think the breed should be banned but think owners should legally have to obtain a license to own a pit and breeders to breed.

They are not for the average person. It is sad because in the right hands they can be a wonderful dog. Trying to convince people to adopt a pit bull is a huge mistake. Only people who are fully aware of what it takes to be a good pit owner should adopt.
Well, they're probably not the best choice for a first time dog owner because they can be headstrong, but they can just as easily be mellow and compliant.

I think this is Alice's point - if we can get these dogs into the appropriate rescues, then the rescue organizations can help the dogs get into homes where they will be a good fit. The first step Alice is trying to take is to build a resource.

Again, Alice is reaching out asking for information so she can build a resource....let's try to remain on topic to the original request.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
I think all types of bulls and bull mixes should be added to this.
There are tons of bull/lab mixes and I think they call hem that to give them a chance.

lots of lab/bull mixes and all types of bull mixes ..french bull, bull terrior,pit bull,etc.
Maybe so. That's something Alice will have to consider. As she contacts the rescues recommended to her, it would make sense to see if they are open to mixes or other bull breeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs