Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 02:12 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times

Advertisements

I found this story to be really tragic and heartbreaking. So to all pet owners, if you think that a neighbor's pet dog to be a potential threat to your own fur babies (or even human children), make sure that your own yard is secure enough to protect your loved ones. Large dogs and wild animals can scale fences. Chain link fences can be climbed because the links provide footholds. And when you're out and about, secure your dogs and other pets indoors and secure any dog/cat doors.

2 pit bulls enter Holly Hill home and kill neighbors' dogs - News - Daytona Beach News-Journal Online - Daytona Beach, FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 02:25 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,811 times
A bunch of stupid questions have to be answered to see the story.

Is the headline a typical lie? The title says the dogs entered a HOME. Did they really enter the YARD?

Old 01-04-2017, 03:12 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
I didn't have to answer any questions.

We had pit bull go onto a neighbor's porch and kill their small dog here this summer. I don't think they knew who the owner was because the pitbull is no more. Two came after my leased dogs when we were walking and I had a stun gun and they had on pinch collars which was a great help because every time the pit bulls tried to get to their neck, the prongs made them back off.

I now keep the prong collars inside out so any animal trying to grab their necks gets the prongs and I got a a bigger more potent stun gun. I never leave my dogs outside unattended. Illegals bring the dogs as protection not as pets. Not a good thing.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:19 PM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

I now keep the prong collars inside out so any animal trying to grab their necks gets the prongs and I got a a bigger more potent stun gun. I never leave my dogs outside unattended. Illegals bring the dogs as protection not as pets. Not a good thing.
It's terrible that you have to worry about this but what a clever solution.

Around here we have to be aware of hawks. I do small dog rescue and try to make a point to adopters that there are hawks which present a risk. A couple of years ago, a nearby boarding facility had a hawk snatch one of the small dogs in their care.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post

Is the headline a typical lie? The title says the dogs entered a HOME. Did they really enter the YARD?
One of my labs excels at climbing fences Why don't you believe that those dogs couldn't scale a fence and then enter the house through the dog door? The dog door was large enough for the border collie that was killed. And other home owners have had issues with other unwanted animals like raccoons getting into home through them.

If a predatory animal is on the hunt, they can be very motivated to follow their prey through any obstacle. My own dogs have chased groundhogs into their dens and tried to squeeze themselves into their tunnels. So why wouldn't those killer dogs do the same with the neighbors' dog door?are many

Old 01-04-2017, 07:03 PM

231 posts, read 334,692 times
Quote:

Isn't the yard part of the home?

Old 01-05-2017, 01:25 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:

At least one was in the house, in the bathroom where the border collie mix was found dead.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:

In trying to reread the story today, I was asked to sign up to the newsite (I clicked on the "x" to close the pop-up window) and then only had to answer one question in order to see the story. The news site only asked me if I had tried to buy a new or used car in the last month. Typical, since these sites cost money to keep up and running and we all try to read them for free.

Otherwise, another recounting of what happened on their gofundme page (which has met their goal).

https://www.gofundme.com/cremation-f...24605596&pos=6

Old 01-05-2017, 12:42 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Here is a possible approach for protecting one's favorite dog from attackers (a turkey gun from Turkey!):

Old 01-05-2017, 12:42 PM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So to all pet owners, if you think that a neighbor's pet dog to be a potential threat to your own fur babies (or even human children), make sure that your own yard is secure enough to protect your loved ones.
We had a new fence installed last summer for that reason.

Our neighbors have two pits. If we happened to have our dogs out in the backyard at the same time (which was too frequent for comfort), they would fight between the gaps in the board-on-board fence. The last straw was when one of their dogs rammed the fence so hard it loosened a board, and he was nearly able to get through. I picked up my dog and rushed back into the house. I was very shaken from the whole incident.

We spent several thousand dollars on a new 6' solid board fence but it has given us peace of mind.

Quoted from the article:

Animal control officers and neighbors were no strangers to the dogs, according to city records.

Speicher, 26, received a notice Nov. 2 that there was sufficient cause to classify her dogs, Tiger and Marley, as dangerous.

The notice informed Speicher her dogs were to be "confined in a safe and humane manner in a securely fenced off enclosed area pending the disposition of this matter."

Speicher received another letter from Holly Hill officials on Nov. 23 informing her she hadn't been in compliance with the "dangerous dog" law.

At the non-compliance hearing, a code enforcement officer testified and provided evidence that violations had occurred twice in September, once in October and twice in November. Neighbors testified the pit bulls frequently "were freely running around the neighborhood" and "on several occasions these animals have threatened, charged and attacked victims."

I see that the owner of the pits may face charges, and she should.

Last edited by HokieFan; 01-05-2017 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs