Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 06:10 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,742,090 times

Advertisements

I rarely walk my dog along roads as we live rurally and are almost always on trails, beach, etc..
But i've lived in the city (years ago and with a different dog).
When i do need to walk my dog on road ways i always keep my dog on the inside with myself between the road and her.
I often see people walking their dogs along the road (side walk or not) and i notice that, more often than not, people keep their dog on the outside, ie; closest to the road.
Dogs will often pull away from their person and toward the road. When there is no sidewalk (like on the long road up to where i live and drive on everyday) it's obviously a bigger issue.
It's counter-intuitive but it seem that the more agitated / nervous they are, instead of coming in closer to their person, they'll pull away toward the road. I'm sure there's a good explanation for this behaviour but that's not my question.
A leash accidentally released by their person or the leash accidentally coming undone when the dog is pulling toward the road (and often pulling hard) could be a tragic event with the dog going right into a moving car.
Given this tendency of dogs to pull away and the possible outcome i am always amazed that people walk with their dog closer to the road instead of putting themselves between their dog and traffic.
Do people do this because they'd prefer to have their dog hit by a car instead of themselves? An unconscious (or worse, conscious) need for some kind of shielding from the traffic?
I don't get it.
Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 07:25 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Left side is Heeling position. But you are more describing dog out of control.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Left side is Heeling position. But you are more describing dog out of control.
My dog knows how to walk on the leash without pulling regardless of whether she's on my left side or right side. That's just silly and, imo, no reason to endanger the dog.
Out of control? or just not well trained on the leash which, unfortunately, is often the case. And since it is often the case, at least the person can protect his/her dog by making sure that the dog is not exposed to the road and traffic.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:24 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
When we walk on the street, he always walks to my left and we always walk facing traffic. This is not to "protect him" as much as it is for me to be able to see cars coming toward us and move as necessary.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
When we walk on the street, he always walks to my left and we always walk facing traffic. This is not to "protect him" as much as it is for me to be able to see cars coming toward us and move as necessary.
So unless i'm having some confusion with direction and left / right that would imply that you are not only keeping your dog on your left side (which fulfills the left side as heeling position) but you are also walking facing traffic (which makes sense for any pedestrian with dog or not) and you are keeping yourself between your dog and the traffic. So then, regarding the correct heeling position (if that's important) there is no reason for anyone to walk with their dog on their outside, ie; closer to the traffic.
So i'm waiting for someone to come along and explain to me why they do not do as you do. Keep the dog on the left and walk facing on-coming traffic. You said "facing traffic". I assume that means that you walk on the left side of the road and are facing traffic that is coming toward you.
That's what i learned to do as a child. Didn't we all learn that? Ride a bike with traffic (on the right side of the road) but walk against it (on the left side of the road). Keep the dog on the left of their person and with that rule there's no problem.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:47 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
So unless i'm having some confusion with direction and left / right that would imply that you are not only keeping your dog on your left side (which fulfills the left side as heeling position) but you are also walking facing traffic (which makes sense for any pedestrian with dog or not) and you are keeping yourself between your dog and the traffic. So then, regarding the correct heeling position (if that's important) there is no reason for anyone to walk with their dog on their outside, ie; closer to the traffic.
So i'm waiting for someone to come along and explain to me why they do not do as you do. Keep the dog on the left and walk facing on-coming traffic. You said "facing traffic". I assume that means that you walk on the left side of the road and are facing traffic that is coming toward you.
That's what i learned to do as a child. Didn't we all learn that? Ride a bike with traffic (on the right side of the road) but walk against it (on the left side of the road). Keep the dog on the left of their person and with that rule there's no problem.
I always train my dogs to walk on the left- if for no other reason than I'm a leftie, and it's more secure for me to hold a leash with my left hand.

And yes, walking facing traffic means I walk on the left side of the road. As my dad jokes, "so you can see the cars before they hit you".

It's just second-nature for me to do it this way. Can't speak to why others might not.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:47 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
I rarely walk my dog along roads as we live rurally and are almost always on trails, beach, etc..
But i've lived in the city (years ago and with a different dog).
When i do need to walk my dog on road ways i always keep my dog on the inside with myself between the road and her.
I often see people walking their dogs along the road (side walk or not) and i notice that, more often than not, people keep their dog on the outside, ie; closest to the road.
Dogs will often pull away from their person and toward the road. When there is no sidewalk (like on the long road up to where i live and drive on everyday) it's obviously a bigger issue.
It's counter-intuitive but it seem that the more agitated / nervous they are, instead of coming in closer to their person, they'll pull away toward the road. I'm sure there's a good explanation for this behaviour but that's not my question.
A leash accidentally released by their person or the leash accidentally coming undone when the dog is pulling toward the road (and often pulling hard) could be a tragic event with the dog going right into a moving car.
Given this tendency of dogs to pull away and the possible outcome i am always amazed that people walk with their dog closer to the road instead of putting themselves between their dog and traffic.
Do people do this because they'd prefer to have their dog hit by a car instead of themselves? An unconscious (or worse, conscious) need for some kind of shielding from the traffic?
I don't get it.
Just wondering.
As another poster said, left side is heeling position. Which is the side of the road a person is supposed to walk on, anyway (facing oncoming traffic).

But I have 2 dogs, now, so there's one on each side. But my streets have been neighborhood streets, so wide and not busy. I face traffic, so I see the car coming.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I always train my dogs to walk on the left- if for no other reason than I'm a leftie, and it's more secure for me to hold a leash with my left hand.

And yes, walking facing traffic means I walk on the left side of the road. As my dad jokes, "so you can see the cars before they hit you".

It's just second-nature for me to do it this way. Can't speak to why others might not.
Or jump out of the way quickly before a car does hit you. And on a bike it's different. I'd never ride a bike on the left side. My friend does and insists it's safer and intuitively i know that it's not but can't explain why.
I have memories from childhood .... as a little girl walking on city streets with my grandfather who was very formal and chivalrous. He wouldn't let me walk on the "outside" and always made sure that he put himself between me and the road. I thought it was so silly. But if i were a dog, i wouldn't think it was silly.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
As another poster said, left side is heeling position. Which is the side of the road a person is supposed to walk on, anyway (facing oncoming traffic).

But I have 2 dogs, now, so there's one on each side. But my streets have been neighborhood streets, so wide and not busy. I face traffic, so I see the car coming.
Right. It's just that, as i stated in my original post, i see so many people who are not walking with their dog in such a way. The dog is on the leash and pulling away from their person and toward the traffic. It makes me nuts!
Two dogs on leash i would find difficult. Sometimes i see doggy sitters with a whole pack of dogs of various sizes on leash. Very cute but i couldn't do it. Or wouldn't want to.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:51 PM

It just occurred to me. It must be because most people are right handed and find it easier to keep their dog on their right side in which case, if they're walking on the left side of the road then the dog will be nearer to the road.
But it's very easy (but only if you use a traditional leash and not one of those silly extension leashes - or whatever they're called) to keep the dog on your left side and get used to using your left hand to hold the leash and your right to assist (with the leash crossing in front of your body - that's what i do). That way you can use the leash effectively and keep yourself between the dog and the cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs