Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 05:30 PM

1,201 posts, read 802,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Yes?
An American Bully is clearly NOT “a different breed”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 08:51 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
An American Bully is clearly NOT “a different breed”.
Are you saying if it's registered as an APBT then it's an APBT? That's an app to transfer to the proper breed. If I registered a litter of Golden/Lab puppies as Pits does that make them Pits?
That's just not how it works, paperwork doesn't change a dogs actual breed. I shouldn't have to have those walking train wrecks associated with my dogs, just because people registered them as the same breed. It's deplorable practice to falsify pedigree on a pure bred dog, let alone a mutt.

Dave and Tony both admitted to registering mixed breeds. Openly admitted this. Dave registered Pit mixes and other mixes (which didn't have any Pit Bull) as APBT and American Staffordshire Terrier. It is pretty dishonest and it's kind of sad people couldn't just you know make it a new breed project. These were not the only two people by any means either. Some Am Bully are from generations of breeding (from a mixed foundation) but others still have more recent crossing. A couple kennels were banned from UKC for being turned in for these practices prior to UKC recognizing Am Bully and trying to fix stud book issues.

While they are a recognized breed there are different classes and people breeding for those different types, foundations and more recent crosses vary. A lot of the pocket, the micros and many exotics are mostly English Bulldog or include French Bulldog with very little AmStaff blood. With the lines it isn't cut and dry, since most have same foundation it is just breeders adding this or that with more and more other breeds. Like some XL have more mastiff and American Bulldog added. APBT/AST is back there but percentage isn't high, usually it was heavier boned AmStaffs that were chosen but they couldn't get what they wanted physically by breeding pure bred AmStaff. Breeds like English Bulldog, French Bulldog, American Bulldog, Presa Canario, Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, Cane Corso and Neo, Bullmastiff, English Mastiff, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Dogue De Bordeaux and whatever else they thought would give them the extreme looks they sought. According to BSL that uses breed standard they don't even fall under Pit Bull type and by lineage they are not, but some breeds / mixes can fall under Pit Bull type dye to physical traits.

A dog that struggles to breath in the heat and is at high risk of heat stroke sure isn't a Pit lol. Now all dogs within a breed won't represent the breed mind you, but you know when you mix a bunch of breeds together those dogs won't add up, because they are a different breed or a mixed breed. The APBT is often drivey, tenacious, dog aggressive, high prey drive, moderate energy level, does well in hot / humid conditions- other breeds can have these traits too, but most bullies don't but again they are all over the place as far as breeding. There are a few responsible Am Bully breeders, but like 99% are breeding for extreme type, color and money. I don't support dog fighting but nothing pit about those dogs, can't even handle normal activity. (I have issues with brachy dogs and deformed dogs)

It is rather disappointing that AKC, UKC, ADBA failed so badly. I know they can't police every breeding and people can get away with things, but it shouldn't have got this out of hand. The ADBA tried putting blame on UKC saying they didn't know about problems in UKC stud book and while I understand some dogs were single registered over it was brought up years before ADBA finally did anything. All around bad situation. A responsibility of registries is to protect the integrity of pure bred dogs.

But hey if you consider a dog that's like 10-15% AST is an APBT you don't understand pure bred dogs but

Old 06-08-2018, 05:29 PM

103 posts, read 71,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
If you do this and show up at my rental with a pit bulll, you will not be getting the keys or your deposit back.

90% of people can not spot a true pit bull out.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:42 PM

103 posts, read 71,846 times
https://atts.org/breed-statistics/statistics-page1/

The pit out scores every "family" breed. But no one talks about it. Pits have been around for hundreds of years now in the past 20ish years they are the bad guy? You can f-right off. What breed is next? When will they blame the pos owners??

Old 06-09-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntd06 View Post
https://atts.org/breed-statistics/statistics-page1/

The pit out scores every "family" breed. But no one talks about it. Pits have been around for hundreds of years now in the past 20ish years they are the bad guy? You can f-right off. What breed is next? When will they blame the pos owners??
Bahahhahhahahhaaaa!

Old 06-09-2018, 09:08 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
At one time it was the Chow, and then the Doberman, and then the German Shepard. Blame th3 insurance companies for the labels. The trend for "bad breeds" is set by them. Not the breeds themselves. The bad owners happen is every breed so again the insurance company is going by percentage and chance. IMHO there's only one hybrid that should be banned and thats the wolf/dog crossed dogs. They are an ego dog for many . And have no place in todays society and population density. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ance-companies

Old 06-09-2018, 10:00 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Ma. is a pitbull friendly state. All breeds actually by state law. Any discrimination etc is based on the history/behavior of the individual dog.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:34 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
It was a mystery in Washington because I frequently see pit bulls yet when I was apartment hunting virtually all places had pit bull bans. Then I talked to a girl with one and she said she got around the ban by getting it designated as an emotional support animal (ESA). From what I understand it’s very easy to do if you find a doctor willing to write you a letter. It seems to be heavily abused and rife with fraud. However, once an animal is certified as an ESA a landlord cannot prevent it from being on the premises, if there is documentation of an underlying mental or physical condition of the owner. They also can’t charge a pet fee or pet rent, though they can charge a pet deposit. Otherwise they are subject to being sued. And this applies even to apartments/rentals that categorically ban all pets. One caveat is that it only applies to rentals with more than 4 units.

https://esadoctors.com/landlord-emot...upport-animal/
https://www.zillow.com/rental-manage...pport-animals/

Old 06-09-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It was a mystery in Washington because I frequently see pit bulls yet when I was apartment hunting virtually all places had pit bull bans. Then I talked to a girl with one and she said she got around the ban by getting it designated as an emotional support animal (ESA). From what I understand it’s very easy to do if you find a doctor willing to write you a letter. It seems to be heavily abused and rife with fraud. However, once an animal is certified as an ESA a landlord cannot prevent it from being on the premises, if there is documentation of an underlying mental or physical condition of the owner. They also can’t charge a pet fee or pet rent, though they can charge a pet deposit. Otherwise they are subject to being sued. And this applies even to apartments/rentals that categorically ban all pets. One caveat is that it only applies to rentals with more than 4 units.

https://esadoctors.com/landlord-emot...upport-animal/
https://www.zillow.com/rental-manage...pport-animals/
Yes, many owners are deceitful liars with zero integrity. ESAs are a scam that needs to be completely done away with. There is no scientific support to the efficacy of ESAs and it is mainly used by dishonest people to get around breed restrictions, not paying pet deposits and rental fees, not paying airfare for dogs, and being able to shove their dog’s down the public’s throat. Do these same people also advocate for parking in handicap spots? Lying or getting your doctor to lie so you can get a handicap placard or disability? The answer is yes, people are never dishonest and unethical in one area of their lives while being honest in other. One is either an ethical person or they are not. This is beyond disgusting and low.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:12 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntd06 View Post
90% of people can not spot a true pit bull out.
Where did you get that stat from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs