Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:49 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times

Advertisements

I have never owned a dog and i never cared to but when my bf & i moved in together i became a part dog owner bc he had one.

I am getting fed up with our dog because he eats everything & poops all over the house. He is caged up when we're at work but when we're home & @ night he is allowed to roam free.

My bf hates putting him in the cage & feels bad but i'm tired of picking up poop every morning. We try to always put shoes away but once in a while i have left them out & came back to them completely torn up.

Is this just what dogs do or is there a way to get him to stop doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 02:53 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I have never owned a dog and i never cared to but when my bf & i moved in together i became a part dog owner bc he had one.

I am getting fed up with our dog because he eats everything & poops all over the house. He is caged up when we're at work but when we're home & @ night he is allowed to roam free.

My bf hates putting him in the cage & feels bad but i'm tired of picking up poop every morning. We try to always put shoes away but once in a while i have left them out & came back to them completely torn up.

google "how to exercise your dog"

Old 02-01-2017, 02:57 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Your Dog NEEDS TRAINED! Keeping him in a crate helps BUT You Have to watch him 100% When Not crated! You need to take him Straight out to Potty & PRAISE him when he is Done! When hes chewing on something You don't want him to you REPLACE it with something he is Allowed to chew on. BUT Both you & the BF NEEDS to be on the SAME Wave link & Be Consistant! I don't believe this is gong to happen since he not trained the dog before you moved in. I wish you luck.....

Old 02-01-2017, 02:58 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Has your dog been housetrained? How much time do you or your bf spend with the dog, walking him and playing with him? Does the dog have an area outside where he can run and play and also relieve himself? You should really consider taking a training class which will educate you, your bf and the dog - the dog is only doing what comes naturally if there is no practical or learned alternative.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:05 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Not to be mean, but I wonder if your bf ever trained a dog because it is just not that difficult. First thing, though, is how long is he caged? Anything more than a few hours is just not right, imo, and he might be much better off being put in a good Doggy Daycare where he would get plenty of exercise and attention. However, if it is for just a few minutes, you (and/or your bf) need to get up early and walk him until he relieves himself and then reward him. Repeat this after you get home for work and just before you go to bed.

Dogs are like kids in that you must put some effort into training them; you just can't expect them to train themselves! If you and/or your bf aren't willing to do this, then perhaps you should reconsider whether you should even have a dog. (No offense meant -- some people are just too busy or just don't care enough to have them, and some people just aren't "dog people".)

And as far as the shoes go, usually this is just trait of puppies and/or untrained dogs. There is plenty of online literature on training, and I suggest you look it up and follow the advice.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:59 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
If this is not a troll thread, all I can say is, we need to license owners as well as dogs.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:13 PM

20,762 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

What do you want him to do - not pee and poo?

I hope you just poorly worded your post. I hope your bf walks the dog every morning and every night. You just forgot to mention that, right?

If you leave stuff out, it is YOUR fault he eats it.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:14 PM

169 posts, read 115,407 times
Maybe have time to walk your dog outside before and after you guys go to work? I mean, not blaming you. IT is more on your BF since he owned that dog before you. My sister's husband has this diaper mat:

his dog knows he only poops there. Your BF does not even have the 'sense' to train his dog to do that?

I am thinking it's the caging that makes him do this. Maybe it's time for you to tell your BF to just give away the dog if he won't even care to walk his dog even once a day?! Jeez.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:15 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianrocker View Post
Maybe have time to walk your dog outside before and after you guys go to work? I mean, not blaming you. IT is more on your BF since he owned that dog before you. My sister's husband has this diaper mat, his dog knows he only poops there. Your BF does not even have the 'sense' to train his dog to do that?

I am thinking it's the caging that makes him do this. Maybe it's time for you to tell your BF to just give away the dog if he won't even care to walk his dog even once a day?! Jeez.
From the written bit above I would keep the dog and train it properly and get rid of the boyfriend.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:17 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
He does walk the dog. We both do. Twice a day.

We also have demanding jobs where we're gone 10/11 hrs a day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs