U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 9,699 times

Advertisements

hi this my first time posting, so please bare with me,i rescued two dogs,brother and sister,i am having a problem,with the fenced in area where they go out to play, i fenced off 28x48 feet,they love it out there,but there is a real problem with the mud or dirt it gets stuck in their paws,and it is tracked in,i carpeted the laundry room with cheap throw rugs that can be vacuumed,but the main problem is the dust from this red clay dirt is all over the house as dust, i mean it is so bad my walls, tv, furniture, everything in the house has this red dust on it, also they like to lay out in the yard, so that means they have it on their fur, does anyone have any ideas what i can do to make it better for them and myself,i was going to have concrete put down but it is too costly. please if anyone has any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 09:43 AM

2,974 posts, read 6,453,645 times
What about a thick layer of pine bark mulch? It would still be kind of dirty, but not red-clay dirty. I guess you could have a problem with them just digging and digging through the mulch to get back to the dirt, but it might help a little.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:49 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,863,783 times
I have this problem with my dog, and have "solved" it by keeping a bucket of water and an old towel next to the back door. If it's muddy outside, the dog gets told "Feet!" and she knows to stop at the bucket and let me wash her paws. Just dip 'em in the bucket and rub her toes with my hands, then dry each paw. Takes about 30 seconds to do four feet, and it's all good. She's so used to it now that if I say "Have you been digging?" she'll stop and wait for me to wash her feet.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 AM

7,225 posts, read 15,241,910 times
We're in the transition from snow on the ground to mud on the ground (eventually the plants will pick up and there will be less mud). I bought a bale of straw to spread in the muddiest areas, and that keeps the mud down to a manageable level. I still have to keep a towel by the back door to wipe her feet off. But the floor is tile anyway, so it's easy to clean.

The birds low the straw, too, and I've seen them carrying bits off for a nest. The mice love it to, and it gives the dog something extra to do, chasing the mice out of the straw. Plus, the straw will make a reasonable addition to mulch (in small amounts).

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 03-03-2008 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: typos. I'm just full of them today. You'd think I'd use spellcheck and preview, but no.......

Old 03-03-2008, 03:00 PM

253 posts, read 964,276 times
Yep, that'll work. I've had to do that before. My dogs know feet get wiped off before you come in. Bought towels for the dogs at Wal-Mart and always have a few ready for the wash all the time. When it rains and they have to go out they love getting dried off too. A little work goes a long ways, but you'll still have dirt that gets by you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I have this problem with my dog, and have "solved" it by keeping a bucket of water and an old towel next to the back door. If it's muddy outside, the dog gets told "Feet!" and she knows to stop at the bucket and let me wash her paws. Just dip 'em in the bucket and rub her toes with my hands, then dry each paw. Takes about 30 seconds to do four feet, and it's all good. She's so used to it now that if I say "Have you been digging?" she'll stop and wait for me to wash her feet.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:55 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,124,186 times
Concrete is expensive, but sod is pretty cheap.

I just had an area sodded that is a bit bigger than yours. Mine was 40 x 60 feet and it cost me roughly $1000 to put down new sod. That was sod, labor, everything.

Grass will control the dust and the dogs will love it!

With an area that small, a crew should be able to do the work in just a couple of hours.....by lunchtime you could have a lush lawn.

I also used pine bark mulch to carve out a "natural" area. Though I love the look and long-lasting nature of the pine bark "nuggets", they are a bit rough on dogs' feet (unstable). if you go with pine bark, go for the finer shredded stuff and not the big nuggets.

Pine Straw is wonderful and beautiful and long-lasting......but pricey.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:07 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,625,139 times
Agree with RoaminRed and Riveree. I had a friend who had a furball dog that was trained to wipe his feet, shake if it had been raining and stand while he got his paws dried before coming off the doggy doormat just inside the door.

Sod is a good plan, but your profile doesn't say where you are. I hate to be the one to break it to all you southerners, but straw is only expensive in southern states - it sells for about $3 a bale in Maine. If you use straw, be careful walking on it - it's slippery.

Be aware that dogs will swallow anything they can put in their mouths. That means rocks, pebbles, mulch bark. Not saying not to use it, just be aware the possibility exists no matter what you use.

You could make like the Brady Bunch and get astro-turf to put over the area. That would cover the muddy areas and give them sure footing. Wash it down with a hose and an antibacterial solution once a week or so. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 AM

382 posts, read 1,744,260 times
we've gotten in the habit of wiping paws everytime the dogs come inside. it is a pain in the butt. and i know its hard to get all the dirt out from their nails. almost impossible. if its really bad, then i'll take them to the tub and just let them stand in some shallow water to loosen the dirt in their nails.

try overseeding your lawn to grow new grass. the more grass, the less dirt. we're thinking about having our back yard re-sodded in Bermuda grass which is much more durable and dense than what is back there now. the sod people say that Bermuda will stand up to dogs much better.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:29 AM

7,225 posts, read 15,241,910 times
I think I paid $4 for a bale of straw, which covered an area probably 25' by 50' - don't confuse straw with hay, which is more expensive here.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:13 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,625,139 times
You wouldn't want to use hay anyway - too many seeds would give you an "interesting" mix of grasses and weeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or