Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:17 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,616 times

Advertisements

i just gave my dog one grape. she's 40 lbs. do you think she'll be okay? i gave it to her thinking i probably shouldn't and by the time i looked up that i shouldn't give her one, it was gone. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 07:48 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,117 times
Taken from a veterinarian's site:

Quote:
There appears to be no dose response, and toxic doses have been reported to be as low as 0.7 oz grapes/kg bw and 0.11 oz raisins/kg bw.
Your dog is around 18 kg, so it would've had to eat 13 oz of grapes for the lowest toxic dose...you're in the clear!

Old 03-03-2008, 08:00 PM

389 posts, read 3,539,026 times
I would say if she was going to have a severe/grape toxicity reaction, it would be evident pretty quickly. I don't know if I necessarily believe that there is a true set amount, I think alot depends on the dog...kind of like some dogs can eat a whole bag of hershey's kisses and be fine and another may get sick from just one. I am not saying that it's a fact, just that I wouldn't test the amount theory...just to err on the side of caution I guess.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:44 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
she will be fine
my moms dogs live on a vineyard and are always fine. My moms cocker spaniel is a grape machine ...there is no way to monitor vineyard dogs.
cody never eats the grapes. He steals them from the other dogs and then spits them out whole

I think it's more about how much they eat more then the actual contact w/ the particular food

I agree w turtle

Old 03-03-2008, 09:51 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
Not on just 1 but nw that know keep em away..

Old 03-04-2008, 08:22 AM

Thanks everyone - she was okay through the night. Didn't phase her in the least!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:54 AM

661 posts, read 2,896,769 times
I don't understand this. I have two dogs that have eaten grapes all their lives. I never heard until recently that grapes were bad for them.

We had extensive grapevines at our house, mostly Concord, some whites. Anytime they were outside with me they'd eat the grapes off the vines. I've always shared my green grapes with my Golden. He loves fruit.

I've never seen any adverse reactions. I knew about chocolate, onions, etc., but I'd never heard this about grapes.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:11 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
I don't understand this. I have two dogs that have eaten grapes all their lives. I never heard until recently that grapes were bad for them.

We had extensive grapevines at our house, mostly Concord, some whites. Anytime they were outside with me they'd eat the grapes off the vines. I've always shared my green grapes with my Golden. He loves fruit.

I've never seen any adverse reactions. I knew about chocolate, onions, etc., but I'd never heard this about grapes.
same here. We have muscadines , isons, cynitians and nortons. All have been consumed and all dogs are fine.
I then wonder if it is the amount of grapes consumed but my moms daisy dog has ruled that out or she has a rock of a tummy

Old 03-04-2008, 11:26 AM

I think it's a relatively new finding and it depends a lot on the dog. I would think if your dog is fine, then there's no problem. However, they can it can lead to renal failure...but who knows really.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:27 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
As far as chocolate goes, a former dog of mine once ate three entire boxes of See's candy and was fine. She slept for the whole day and snored like a pig, but she was fine.

This is the same dog that ate two whole turkey carcasses out of the trash and it didn't phase her one bit (despite the fact that everyone says bird bones are bad for dogs...)

Some dogs just have cast-iron guts I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs