Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:25 PM

32 posts, read 215,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Just make sure, when you're "taking action", that you focus on the proper parties. People up here have been going after the family members of this marine, both in person and over phone and internet. While there's no excuse for what he did (if, in fact, he did it), there's even less of an excuse for his family to be targeted.

(I'm not saying that you, personally, would...I'm just relaying what I've heard on the news. There will be extra police patrols around the family's house for the foreseeable future.)

I agree...completely!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,491 times
Default Even if it's a prank

It's a disgrace for a Marine to stage something like that. What was he thinking? That it would bring honor to the name of Marines..?
We do not need more negativity geared towards our troops. I really hope the Marines will do something about it.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,487 times
If you have not watched the video, you really should before commenting and condemning this Marine.Not that is was right either way but I didn't see the dog move at all before it was thrown. If someone was holding it like that it would be kicking its legs at least a little. I am pretty sure it was dead already.

After looking again several times, if you look at the dogs legs when he is holding it, they are locked in position like rigor mortis had already set in. Also the sound doesn't have the right doppler effect. It fades and gets lower but not enough. Either way throwing a dead puppy is still sick. What you have to understand though is that these guys have to act tough and veil their emotions to make it over there. Its like a macho, locker room mentality. Haven't you ever known a guy that says and does stuff when hes around a group of friends that he would never do or say one on one?

After writing this I found an article that quotes an animal rights guy that says about the same thing about the sound.

Animal rights groups appalled by US Marine's puppy-throwing video (broken link)

Old 03-05-2008, 08:14 AM

170 posts, read 475,865 times
You know....this is very discomforting, but we all have to remember, that all of our brothers/sisters out there are not all like that. Just like every organization or workforce, there are bad apples. If anyone in my command saw me doing something like that (Not that I would ever, I love animals.), I might as well call it a wrap. It sux that this moron has to draw negative attention to our service members.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:24 PM

253 posts, read 1,051,113 times
I apoligize its wrong and wrong of me to say bad post. You're right in bringing cruelty to light. I know all the servicemen and women aren't like that, but when you get a bushel sometimes there's a bad apple in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonster View Post
Sorry...I didn't mean to offend anyone. Like I said, i've got family and friends who are marines...and they are our country's best! I just feel that if we ignore it justice wouldn't be done. It could easily be swept under the carpet. I did my best to not put any info in the post except for the link and a brief description. Bad post? I think ignoring this would be terrible. Dog fighting and abuse posts are fine...

peace

Old 03-05-2008, 08:24 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,214,051 times
THIS is national news? I wonder how many HUMANS were killed there on the same day which nobody cares about.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:29 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,397,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
THIS is national news? I wonder how many HUMANS were killed there on the same day which nobody cares about.
That's irrelevant, it doesn't make animal abuse any more acceptable. Anyway, studies have shown animal abusers frequently graduate to humans.

Anyone would purposely abuse a defenseless animal deserves a trial and then a nice lengthy stint in jail.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:26 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fied1k View Post
If you have not watched the video, you really should before commenting and condemning this Marine.Not that is was right either way but I didn't see the dog move at all before it was thrown. If someone was holding it like that it would be kicking its legs at least a little. I am pretty sure it was dead already.

After looking again several times, if you look at the dogs legs when he is holding it, they are locked in position like rigor mortis had already set in. Also the sound doesn't have the right doppler effect. It fades and gets lower but not enough. Either way throwing a dead puppy is still sick.
Right, even if the puppy was dead, it is highly disrespectful for someone to do that.

But I don't think the puppy was dead. Maybe stunned, scared, dehydrated and weak, there are lots of reasons we might not see the legs moving. There is sound in the video and you can hear a dog whimpering....it sure seems that they killed this puppy.

Dead or alive, what they did to that puppy is not okay and they should be reprimanded for it.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:32 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,697,500 times
Our troops are under a great deal of personal stress (being the targets of bombs and shootings daily, family separation for 1 year to 18 months a tour, etc). It is a great deal of sacrifice that these people are enduring. Unfortunately with 140,000 folks over there. There are going to be a decent fraction of folks fighting who have a screw loose. It's just a fact of life.

The perpetrators should be punished to the fullest extent of the law, whether it was real or staged. There is no humor in cruelty to any person or animal.

We need to see the positive effects of our American presence there - not the negative actions of a handful of folks with poor judgement to do such heinous acts.

It was troubling to see this on CNN last night.

It reflects poorly on the troops, takes away from the energies needed to concentrate on the mission, and portrays the people of America poorly to even document such a malicious act on a poor little helpless animal. Not funny and this should not be tolerated. Such a stupid trio of fools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs