Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 12:29 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times

Advertisements

I always ask "can I pet your dog?". My own dog, a peke, is friendly with everyone he sees. If a person
reaches down to pet him he is happy for the attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 01:33 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
It's a common frustration every dog owner deals with. I get the opposite reaction from kids. They would run, chase or simply walk up my dogs and pet them without permission. One parent allowed a TODDLER in a large dog only section in the park, playing in the only water fountain for dogs. The dogs go up to the water fountain to drink and as they do so, the toddler pets them. I cringed hard and worried every time in case a dog that is food possessive may turn around and nip the child's face. Not to mention how dirty that water is to allow a young child to play with her hands and putting said hands in her mouth.

Dog parks are not petting zoos, people. Sigh.
You must go to my dog park. I swear there are days that there are so many kids in there I turn around and leave, which is not fair to my dogs who at that point are super excited to be there.
I don't like it when there are kids running around in there because my dogs, while fine with kids, are not super used to them. I don't have any kids in my life so they only see children at the park. It worries me that the kids will grab them the wrong way and scare them. Or that my dogs will get too excited and jump on them or something and knock them down. I wish parents would just keep their kids in the kids park.

My Sawyer, when we first got him, had no fears of children or anyone really that we knew, then one day we were at a pet event and a girl maybe around 8 or 9 years old ran up and grabbed his face. It literally was a matter of seconds. He freaked out and pulled back and barked at her. I'm glad that's all he did. After that, he was freaked out for a long time of strangers. It has taken years to get him back to feeling comfortable around people and even so, I tell people to pet the top of his head or his back and not to put their faces up to his because that scares him. Some people don't listen and start going up to his face, I usually interject at that point. He may just back off and bark, but what if he freaks out and bites them. They'll blame him and me and that's not fair because they simply didn't listen to me.

OP, like others have said, you have to be the advocate for your pup. If your pup bites someone, they'll freak out and won't take responsibility for their actions and will try to put all the blame on you and your pup...that's not fair.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:05 PM

919 posts, read 609,251 times
It is so rude to touch anothers pet without asking for permission. But to ignore your wishes? Ugh, that's the height of ignorance.

My boy is almost 5 months old & like most Rotti pups, is adorably cute & very friendly. It's interesting that people always ask me for permission to pat him since I brought him home. Even acquaintances when I cross paths. Probably because I'm a big guy.
I don't allow strangers to pet my pup simply because I don't want him to get the idea that strangers are our friends (Kids though, are the exception) If people get offended too bad, that's their problem not mine.

Although others will disagree, I think it's a bad practice to allow others to feed your dog treats. All of my dogs over the years were trained not to eat anything until I've given them the okay.

In your position, I'd stand between the stranger & your dog & say something like "Not a good idea. She has some sort of nasty fungal/bacterial infection in her saliva that the vet is yet to identify."

Old 03-02-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post

Dog parks are not petting zoos, people. Sigh.
^^^ This ^^^

Luckily, I've a large yard & have no need to use a dog park. Too many idiots with bad manners & with little control over their dogs for my liking.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:42 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I thought of something this morning that no one mentioned... I wanted to get some feedback on it. I realized today that when I take my dog to the vet and to the pet food store, the staff there always gives her treats. The UPS guy does the same when he sees us. My dog loves that, even from strangers (and she's very slow gentle with taking treats, doesn't snap them up like some dogs do). Do you think it would work to get her over her stranger touching anxiety if I carried a bag of treats and the people who ask to pet her I can say, "no, she doesn't like to be touched. But she loves treats if you want to giver her one."

Maybe she will associate strangers with a possible treat then?

Yes, you can do this, but it must be made very clear to the stranger that it is up to your dog whether or not she wishes to approach them to take the treat, and while doing so, they are not to look at her or talk to her. You will want the stranger to be crouched down holding the treat out about 3' away from your dog; you don't want your dog to start out feeling uncomfortable or crowded You can also set up situations where strangers just walk by her and toss high value treats in front of her. However, you always need to be ready to simply say "no" to people.

If the socialization thing happens at a young age, I missed out.

Socialization ideally begins as soon as a puppy is born, and continues throughout its life. However, the ideal period of socialization for puppies is between 4-16 weeks old. Once this window closes, the owner can (and should) still work to socialize their dog, but it may take longer or be more difficult than if they had been exposed to a wide variety of people, animals, dogs, environments, etc. early in that first socialization period. They also have 2 fear periods that take place anytime between 8-16 weeks and then again at about 6 months old. During this time they need to be allowed to just watch and figure things out, and not be forced to confront things they are afraid of.
Response in bold.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 03-02-2017 at 04:01 PM..

Old 03-02-2017, 03:47 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I always ask "can I pet your dog?". My own dog, a peke, is friendly with everyone he sees. If a person
reaches down to pet him he is happy for the attention.
My current foster is a Peke and her butt is always wiggling with excitement. She's such a sweet dog, I'm excited for whoever adopts her.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:04 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,261,525 times
I understand.

Last week I bought a warning bandana on Etsy for my dog. Maybe I need one, too. She is timid when we go out for walks and doesn't really care to socialize with strangers. I do not like the way she looks at peoples' faces even when they properly approach her. It makes me nervous which in turn makes her nervous.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:37 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
It is so rude to touch anothers pet without asking for permission. But to ignore your wishes? Ugh, that's the height of ignorance.

My boy is almost 5 months old & like most Rotti pups, is adorably cute & very friendly. It's interesting that people always ask me for permission to pat him since I brought him home. Even acquaintances when I cross paths. Probably because I'm a big guy.
I don't allow strangers to pet my pup simply because I don't want him to get the idea that strangers are our friends (Kids though, are the exception) If people get offended too bad, that's their problem not mine.

Although others will disagree, I think it's a bad practice to allow others to feed your dog treats. All of my dogs over the years were trained not to eat anything until I've given them the okay.

In your position, I'd stand between the stranger & your dog & say something like "Not a good idea. She has some sort of nasty fungal/bacterial infection in her saliva that the vet is yet to identify."
As a rottie owner myself I assure you the reason people
always asks for permission to pet is due to your pup
being a rottweiler. Not because you are a big guy, it is amazing how
most people automatically have respect when there is a rottweiler involved.

People attribute so many silly things to rottweilers it will blow your mind and
you will see and hear a fair amount of nonsense in the life of your dog.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:42 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
The one thread on CD where a PIT BULL would be the answer to the problem!

Old 03-02-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
As a rottie owner myself I assure you the reason people
always asks for permission to pet is due to your pup
being a rottweiler. Not because you are a big guy, it is amazing how
most people automatically have respect when there is a rottweiler involved.

People attribute so many silly things to rottweilers it will blow your mind and
you will see and hear a fair amount of nonsense in the life of your dog.
Even an 8 week old Rotti? Lol
My last Rotti was 18 month old & protection trained when I got him & he was just a wee bit over protective when out in public. He wouldn't even let friends get near me when out on a lead. Fortunately he was incredibly well trained & obedient.
At home however, he was the sweetest boy. Great with little kids, visitors & small animals.

My new pup is a bit too friendly for my liking but he's still a puppy. Time will tell.
I know what you mean though, I'm already getting the reactions when people ask what breed is my new pup.
The reason why I bought another Rotti is because although quite protective, they are, generally speaking, a friendly, sweet natured animal. They remind me of Labs in many ways.

It's the first Rotti I've had since 8 weeks old & am learning just HOW head strong, stubborn & bossy they can be. (Not sure if this is true of all Rottis, but this one is very sensitive to correction - so I use 'time-out' when he becomes overbearing. It's quite amusing; when I say "Do you need a time-out?" & he sees me get his lead, he usually lays down & looks at me with wounded, innocent eyes, lol)

Definitely not the breed for first time owners or those who are unable to assert themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs