Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:37 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
He is in good health. Knock on would he stays that way. He just had his check up and the vet.-

And did you tell the vet that you bind his belly ? !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 11:37 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Simple solution. Every night, set your alarm for 2:45AM, then enjoy the quiet of the very early AM, while taking a short walk with your canine companion. Then, reset your alarm when you come back in to the appropriate time to start your day.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:06 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
The older a dog gets the shorter the time he can hold his urine. 10 hours is too long of an older dog to have to hold it. He needs out more. It's not uncommon for an older dog to need to go out in the middle of the night. I've had it happen with mine.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:47 PM

919 posts, read 608,881 times
Quote:
I know plenty of people who have dogs that are home all day because people work. My coworker has a dog that never has accidents and it only goes out at 6 pm and then again in the morning.
^^^^ Exactly

My almost 5 month old Rotti now sleeps 8 hours at night without waking me up to go pee.
My last Rotti was left home alone for over 8 hours while my then wife & I were at work. There were newspapers laid out in the bathroom just in case but he only ever used them once when he had a bout of diarrhea in over 12 years.

Is there a reason why he can't sleep on his own bed in your bedroom? If it solves the problem .....
The only other possibility that comes to mind is his kidneys. Is kibble a large part of his diet? I've heard of countless dogs (& cats) over the years, who developed kidney problems where a vet has attributed it to a diet of kibble.

Good luck, I hope you're able to solve the issue. Boxers tend to be lovely animals.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:24 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
10 hours?? That's way too long even for a large dog.
No. My son and DIL have two huge Dogo Argentinos, which average about 90#. They sleep together and have no problem waiting that long. The same as my 17# dog.
My point is that, the same way a dog can pee every 5 minutes, a dog can go without peeing for a long time. It is a choice.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:56 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,706 times
Boxers especially are not a long lived breed (8-10years is the average, although my gal made it to 12) - 9 is a pretty ripe old age for a boxer - and yea 10 hours is way too long for an older dog - he's holding it all day and then can't do it again all night.

you can't put in a dog door for him?

Old 03-03-2017, 12:01 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
No. My son and DIL have two huge Dogo Argentinos, which average about 90#. They sleep together and have no problem waiting that long. The same as my 17# dog.
My point is that, the same way a dog can pee every 5 minutes, a dog can go without peeing for a long time. It is a choice.
Are your son's dogs 9 years old and do they have to hold their pee all day long- TEN HOURS- and then hold their pee again for another 8 or 9 hours at night?

Its the length of time - all day and all night, for an older dog that I think is the issue-

I have had a great pyrenees, a bernese mt dog(130lbs), and currently have a giant schnauzer-
before that we had boxers- and 9 is old for a boxer.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:39 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
I think it depends on the dog, the age, and maybe? the breed as for how long they can hold their pee after puppy-hood. If they can and do hold it for hours through the night, it isn't cruel in the daytime either IMO.

We've had Labs, an Irish Setter, a toy poodle and 3 Yorkie/poos and have never had issues with not being able to hold their pee for hours once they were house trained. Our old girl (now sadly gone) would go 12-14 hours without batting an eyeball and I was home all the time to let her out when she came to me. She lived to 16 years old and never had any kind of kidney problems.

but... I have to add that once our labs got older (12-13 years old), they started to leak pee when they were sleeping. Our vet gave us pills that stopped the leaking for about a year and then the leaking started up again.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:15 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
I know plenty of people who have dogs that are home all day because people work. My coworker has a dog that never has accidents and it only goes out at 6 pm and then again in the morning.
Sure lots of dogs WILL hold it because they don't want to displease their owners, doesn't mean it's not rather cruel to expect a dog to hold it for 10 hours. Do you have a house and fenced yard so you can put in a pet door?

Old 03-03-2017, 01:35 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Boxers especially are not a long lived breed (8-10years is the average, although my gal made it to 12) - 9 is a pretty ripe old age for a boxer - and yea 10 hours is way too long for an older dog - he's holding it all day and then can't do it again all night.

you can't put in a dog door for him?
^ This.

When I was a young pup myself, I could sleep through a long 10 hour night with zero interruption.

Now ... no way!

Back when our old pup was still alive, we took turns waking each other up for a middle-of-the-night bio break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs