Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 06:18 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times

Advertisements

Shih-poo
Malti-poo
Cockapoo
Bichon ?
Small golden mix or lab mix

Due to what you've said about your lifestyle and expectations I would skip Border Collie and possibly the Beagle. The Dacshund and Maltese might be pushing it with the ages of your children due to the size and potential back issues of Doxies. Keep in mind many rescues do not adopt certain breeds or the tiniest dogs to families with young children. It's probably safest to shoot for dogs 10# and higher.

You may want to avoid puppies as the time left alone will make it difficult to train and, imo, is not fair to the puppy. If the time frame alone is 4-5 hours it wouldn't be as problematic. Having the fenced yard is a plus and most dogs would be happy with daily walks, a little backyard time and playing with the children. Regarding your cat, my rescue "cat tests" dogs when requested by potential adopters. It's not fool proof but does root out highly reactive dogs. When it comes time to adopt, if any dog you are interested in seems stressed or anxious, walk away. I'm only saying so because you have small children. Dogs that are most likely to bite are fear biters. There are too many solid, chill dogs to choose from so there is no need to take any risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 06:34 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
I have not read the whole thread, but this quiz worked well for us.

Dog Breed Selector & Puppy Finder - Choosing a Dog

Old 03-09-2017, 06:37 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
I'm a miniature schnauzer person. They don't shed. The only dog I'd ever own.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:39 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Labrador Retriever. Hard to find a breed more gentle and loving than a lab. My choclate lab is great with the grandkids and she tries to make friends with everyone she meets. And at 58 pounds, she's not a huge dog.
We absolutely LOVE our lab golden mix -- VERY loving, affectionate, friendly and a "clown",but she is also VERY rambunctious. (I think it depends on the particular Lab or Lab mix.)

Old 03-09-2017, 06:39 PM

919 posts, read 609,339 times
Labs make an excellent family pet & are usually great with kids. Intelligent so easy to train & quite tolerant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs