U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 07:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 987,143 times

Advertisements

I mentioned before in a thread that my dog keeps getting UTIs. She's had five since I got her (and we aren't at our 1 year anniversary yet). I got a lot of good advice and think I'm at the root of the problem and have a plan.

Her last infection is finally all cleared up. But her urine Ph is high (it's 8). She also has crystals in her urine, but X-rays showed no stones. The vet thinks the crystals are the root of her problem and to get rid of them, I need to get her urine Ph to 7. She told me cranberry and get her to drink more. She also mentioned a prescription diet, but she wants me to try more liquid and cranberry first.

I have test strips and a plan to meet the vet's goals. Let me know if it sounds good. I want to beat this thing so my dog stops getting UTIs.

First, I have the strips. How often should I test? The vet didn't mention strips, others did in another thread I posted. Seems like a good way to keep tabs on things. I didn't think to ask the vet, but if someone here who uses them can answer that would be great.

Second, it seems like the best thing according to the vet and what I've read is to increase her water. Her teeth are a struggle too with tartar (she had horrible teeth when I got her and she's a young dog). So I want to keep feeding her dry. Starting tonight, I'm giving her low sodium chicken broth to "get" her to drink more.

Third, I'm using dog urinary supplements with cranberry and other things that are supposed to help. I've been using this for a few weeks now.

Fourth I bought her these dog treats that are supposed to help with grass (as in prevent urine burns in the grass). The grass thing is a non-issue for me as I don't have a lawn, but it says it stops the grass killing by lowering a dog's Ph. Which is what I want to do.

I'm also getting her Sani trimmed. That really doesn't seem to help, but it doesn't hurt and it keeps her from getting matts on her butt. She hates her butt brushed.

I hope this is a solid plan. I know others mention D-mannose. I'll keep that in mind if this other plan doesn't work. If the real problem is high Ph and crystals, she won't need D-mannose from the sounds of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 10:18 PM

13,364 posts, read 7,349,491 times
You may want to join yahoo K9Kidney diet group. When a dog suffers from repeated UTI's it is very possible that it is the same UTI that was never cleared up. By putting her through 5 too short cycles of antibiotics you are putting her at risk of the infection becoming antibiotic resistant. This can lead to kidney disease. Did your vet tell you specifically what kind of crystals she has? From your posts, I know you love your dog. It's worth investing the time to join the group and post her test results. D-Mannose is preferable to cranberry.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:01 AM

1,912 posts, read 987,143 times
Thanks for the Yahoo group name. I just need to google how to join a Yahoo group.

She has calcium phosphate crystals. She has no stones though.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:15 PM

13,364 posts, read 7,349,491 times
Try the first link. The moderators are very helpful and can help if you run into uploading test results. Just click the first link and request to join, be sure to mention that your dog has had 5 UTI's this year.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9KidneyDiet/

https://www.facebook.com/pg/K9kidney...=page_internal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs