U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:48 AM

4,037 posts, read 2,609,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
DNA results are in and there is not even an ounce of Wolf in Capone. Five weeks stuck in a shelter because someone thought he had wolf mannerisms. I have so many words to say about Aurora Animal Control and none of them can be written here.

DNA tests prove suspected wolf hybrid ‘Capone’ is just a dog | FOX31 Denver
Great news!! I would have bet money there was no wolf in him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 11:03 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,285,363 times
Someone at Animal Control is pissed they never made it into the police academy.

OK, maybe that's not true - but it does seem like some power-hungry individual with a chip on their shoulder got a kick out of having authority over someone by way of their dog. Someone should get fired for this, but most likely won't.

The judge should absolutely dismiss the charge of having an exotic/wild animal, and should probably dismiss the charge of having an aggressive animal, as well. As for the charge of the animal running at large, I hope the judge rules that the "time served" of the animal being held for 5 weeks, plus the cost of the DNA test was punishment enough.

If the animal shelter is going to accuse someone of having an exotic/wild pet, and it can't be obviously proven by looks alone (for instance, someone owning an alligator, or something), then they should have to front the cost of the DNA test. The rule is innocent until proven guilty - not guilty until proven innocent.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:48 PM

4,037 posts, read 2,609,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Someone at Animal Control is pissed they never made it into the police academy.
Wouldn't surprise me if this were true!

Old 03-20-2017, 04:42 PM

11,042 posts, read 6,197,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
Not every dog that is running loose is because the owner was lax. Dogs have gotten loose when owners have gone away and left their pets in the charge of neighbours, pet-sitting companies, family, etc. A gate may have not been properly shut by a member of the family (in my case, my previous dog once got out because my son's friend had entered the backyard to place his bike there, and didn't latch the gate...I'd already gone to bed and wasn't aware of it until my dog went missing the next day). Some dogs are loose through circumstance...again, another example in my area...a man who had his dog in his car and was going to go to the drug store to pick something up had just opened his car door when he suffered a heart attack. People rushed to help him, but in the ensuing melee and scramble to call 911, his dog was spooked and leapt out of the vehicle. Sadly, the dog was killed by a car a few hours later.

My point is, we are so quick to judge and blame when a dog is loose, without knowing the details of what happened. Sometimes things are simply beyond the owner's control. Accidents happen. Pets escape, sometimes despite the owner's best efforts to keep them safe. I would never have zero tolerance without knowing why a pet was loose. Benefit of the doubt is always good to keep in mind.
^^^^
Exactly. We had people doing some work on a deck and one of them didn't close the gate door. At the time we didn't have a rebound coil. The gate door was open far enough for dog to get out and run around. I'm lucky I heard him bark from a window on the side of the house. Rushed out the front and was able to bring him back.
Called the fencing installers and that's when we found out about getting a rebound coil placed on the gate. It has been a blessing.

I think that dog is more a cross between a Shepherd and Terveron
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tervuren_dog
German Shepherd or Wolf Hybrid?-image.jpg

Just read tests show all dog and Capone to be reunited and returned home to family. Yea

Last edited by cat1116; 03-20-2017 at 04:57 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 05:24 PM

1,912 posts, read 994,470 times
So glad the dog is going home! I read this thread the other day and felt horrible ever since. Glad it ended well!

Old 03-20-2017, 05:53 PM

1,589 posts, read 816,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
The issue isn't that animal control picked up the dog. The issue is that now they are saying that because he is a wolf hybrid that they will euthanize and not release back to the owner.

I hope you aren't saying that dogs that inadvertently get loose, which does happen even with responsible owners, should be euthanized and not returned to owner?

FWIW, I have worked with (verified) several high content wolf-dogs. This does not look like a wolfie, and from what the article says, hasn't behaved like one either.
Twelve, now you've got me curious: how would a wolf-dog behave?

Old 03-20-2017, 09:44 PM

9,595 posts, read 5,800,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
So glad the dog is going home! I read this thread the other day and felt horrible ever since. Glad it ended well!
Not yet. The dog still has to stay in the shelter until the hearing on Wednesday afternoon. Hopefully he will go home that same day. Poor dog has been there for more then five weeks.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:56 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,281,171 times
How embarrassing for Aurora Animal Control. I wonder how many dogs have been euthanized in areas banning pit bulls after animal control misidentified them.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:03 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,224,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Twelve, now you've got me curious: how would a wolf-dog behave?
Good question, but hard to do justice to in a short post. There are 3 day seminars in this subject that barely scratch the surface.

Speaking only in generalities and in over-arching tendencies, remembering that it is a toss-up which side of a wolf-dog will be expressed in any individual animal. Will the wolf side be dominant or the dog side? With 99% shared genetic material it would be simplistic and incorrect to say that dogs = wolves. They clearly share some behaviors, but in other ways they are as different as we are from chimpanzees.

Dogs are affiliative with people vs wolves aren't: give a dog a problem and they will work at it for a minute or two before they give up and look at the human to say, ok, now what? Give a wolf a puzzle and they will work at it until they solve it. Dogs look to humans for information; wolves don't.

Dogs never mature- they remain essentially puppies. Wolves do mature and very quickly. This probably won't make sense because we are so accustomed to being around dogs and have never been around a wolf-dog, so we don't have any basis of comparison.

Wolf-dogs require an experienced owner who is able to keep their curious minds occupied. They have a different kind of smarts than dogs do. They learn very quickly, but will also say "enough, been there done that" when bored (and they get bored quickly). For instance, in class we teach down/drop and then have several repetitions of sit with the dog happily flinging itself repeatedly on the floor. A wolf-dog (pup or adult) will do maybe 2 or 3 repetitions and then look at you like you are nuts as if to say no, not doing that again, didn't you see that I just did that?

Wolf-dogs are often escape artists and even when well-trained and well-bonded to their owner will look for ways to explore and that sometimes unfortunately means finding ways to escape. Fences and enclosures are simply problems to be solved.

If you met a well-socialized high content wolf-dog, apart from appearance, you would notice that while they are curious they are cautious, possibly friendly but aloof, they are always watching their environment and what is going on, evaluating the situation. Unlike a dog, they may go up to someone they know to say hello, but it isn't the omg I haven't seen you in forever I thought you left me where have you been wiggly squirmy dog-style hello, but rather it is a calm hey, how ya been. period. If you are lucky you get the wolf-kiss, a muzzle stuck into your hand.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:30 AM

3,172 posts, read 1,985,955 times
Twelve, always love reading your interpretations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or