Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 12:01 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times

Advertisements

Doesn't look like a hybrid to me. I've been around a few, and they didn't look like that. The dog looks to me like some sort of shepherd cross. And I"m always curious what they mean by "aggressive" - my Catahoula has never bitten anyone and one of my instructors has commented on how extreme his bite inhibition is when he is agitated, but his haka dance when he thinks someone he doesn't know is coming into his territory is absolutely terrifying. Unless this dog actually bit someone, aggressive is a very vague term.

I saw that charges might be pending for keeping a wolf hybrid - they adopted it from a public shelter. Isn't that where the responsibility lies if the dog is indeed a hybrid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 06:38 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I agree the lovely dog doesnt look part hybrid. I hope the OP will update this thread when the DNA results are in.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:56 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
A 10 year old German Shepherd mix who was adopted as a puppy from a Colorado shelter escaped from his yard and was caught by Animal Control in Aurora Colorado. Animal Control officers claim that the dog is a wolf hybrid and they won't release him back to his owners. The dog is facing euthanasia even though he has never had any incidents prior to his recent yard escape. DNA testing has been done and the results are pending. I feel so sad for this dog and his family.

Family’s Senior Dog Faces Euthanasia as Animal Control Says He’s a Wolf-Hybrid – The Dogington Post

I would sue their ignorant bums off ! !

Old 03-18-2017, 07:15 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,193 times
I'm completely torn on this story. At least they're doing DNA testing and not just rushing to kill the dog.

On the other hand, the dog was running loose. I have ZERO tolerance for dogs running loose. Did it jump on someone and knock them over? Did it try to chase a child?

We can't have it both ways. We can't condemn Animal Control for being quick to pick up the dog. That's why they're there. I wish they were that quick in my town. Every single dog owner will say, "But he would never hurt a soul." Dogs running loose can do a tremendous amount of damage.

Of course I feel for the family, and I feel even worse for the poor dog. But we can't make exceptions because of a click bait story that probably isn't even half true. If you really, truly feel badly, contact Aurora Animal Control and let them know how you feel.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:10 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I'm completely torn on this story. At least they're doing DNA testing and not just rushing to kill the dog.

On the other hand, the dog was running loose. I have ZERO tolerance for dogs running loose. Did it jump on someone and knock them over? Did it try to chase a child?

We can't have it both ways. We can't condemn Animal Control for being quick to pick up the dog. That's why they're there. I wish they were that quick in my town. Every single dog owner will say, "But he would never hurt a soul." Dogs running loose can do a tremendous amount of damage.

Of course I feel for the family, and I feel even worse for the poor dog. But we can't make exceptions because of a click bait story that probably isn't even half true. If you really, truly feel badly, contact Aurora Animal Control and let them know how you feel.
The issue isn't that animal control picked up the dog. The issue is that now they are saying that because he is a wolf hybrid that they will euthanize and not release back to the owner.

I hope you aren't saying that dogs that inadvertently get loose, which does happen even with responsible owners, should be euthanized and not returned to owner?

FWIW, I have worked with (verified) several high content wolf-dogs. This does not look like a wolfie, and from what the article says, hasn't behaved like one either.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:

That is not the issue. The issue is that instead of returning the dog to its owner, they believe they are canine experts and prefer to have a 10 yr. old pet DNA tested -- and are hell bent to kill this familiy's 10 yr. old pet that has never had a temperament issue. Would they euthanize someone's loyal loving Pit Bull because it is a misunderstood breed?

As I said above, I'd file a lawsuit against their dumb fannies; call the local newspapers and have them print articles; notify the TV stations and have them on the nightly news ! In other words -- protect the dog from these rabid people, and soon!

Old 03-18-2017, 11:39 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Update: The case is getting a lot of attention. Bipartisan, I might add.

https://www.coloradostatesman.com/la...hybrid-capone/

Quote:
Four state lawmakers on Thursday asked the Aurora animal shelter to turn over records involving a suspected wolf hybrid named Capone and put any plans to euthanize the animal on hold.
“As members of the Colorado Legislature, we are concerned about the impoundment of Tracy Abbato’s family pet, Capone,” state Sen. Tim Neville, R-Littleton, and state Reps. Steve Lebsock, D-Thornton, Jovan Melton, D-Aurora, and Joann Ginal, D-Fort Collins, wrote in a letter to the manager of the Aurora Animal Shelter.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:25 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,072 times
Quote:
Not every dog that is running loose is because the owner was lax. Dogs have gotten loose when owners have gone away and left their pets in the charge of neighbours, pet-sitting companies, family, etc. A gate may have not been properly shut by a member of the family (in my case, my previous dog once got out because my son's friend had entered the backyard to place his bike there, and didn't latch the gate...I'd already gone to bed and wasn't aware of it until my dog went missing the next day). Some dogs are loose through circumstance...again, another example in my area...a man who had his dog in his car and was going to go to the drug store to pick something up had just opened his car door when he suffered a heart attack. People rushed to help him, but in the ensuing melee and scramble to call 911, his dog was spooked and leapt out of the vehicle. Sadly, the dog was killed by a car a few hours later.

My point is, we are so quick to judge and blame when a dog is loose, without knowing the details of what happened. Sometimes things are simply beyond the owner's control. Accidents happen. Pets escape, sometimes despite the owner's best efforts to keep them safe. I would never have zero tolerance without knowing why a pet was loose. Benefit of the doubt is always good to keep in mind.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:59 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
DNA results are in and there is not even an ounce of Wolf in Capone. Five weeks stuck in a shelter because someone thought he had wolf mannerisms. I have so many words to say about Aurora Animal Control and none of them can be written here.

DNA tests prove suspected wolf hybrid ‘Capone’ is just a dog | FOX31 Denver

Old 03-20-2017, 07:05 AM

^^^ FANTASTIC ! that poor dog will be so happy to get home.

(Someone at Aurora AC needs to be fired.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs