U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 09:21 AM

9,580 posts, read 5,776,317 times

Advertisements

A 10 year old German Shepherd mix who was adopted as a puppy from a Colorado shelter escaped from his yard and was caught by Animal Control in Aurora Colorado. Animal Control officers claim that the dog is a wolf hybrid and they won't release him back to his owners. The dog is facing euthanasia even though he has never had any incidents prior to his recent yard escape. DNA testing has been done and the results are pending. I feel so sad for this dog and his family.

Family’s Senior Dog Faces Euthanasia as Animal Control Says He’s a Wolf-Hybrid – The Dogington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 09:24 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,572,716 times
I saw this earlier, it's so sad. IMO it's a shepherd/heeler cross. Hopefully the DNA tests will be back fast.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:33 AM

19,186 posts, read 14,970,102 times
Having 2 senior dogs myself, I can imagine how hard this is for both the family and the dog. Senior dogs need a lot of extra sleep and a shelter isn't the place to get it.

Going to the cost of a DNA test seems like nonsense when most shelters are underfunded to begin with.

I can't help but wonder if this is "political", maybe someone who is somebody doesn't care for this family and the dogs that they keep as that can sure happen in some areas.

I do wonder how reliable the test is, from what I have read, not reliable enough.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:40 AM
miu

17,105 posts, read 34,558,425 times
Quote:
The Abbato family, who now face criminal charges of an animal running at large, keeping an aggressive animal, and keeping an exotic/wild animal, have hired an attorney.
Wow. In Colorado? Just for having a dog jump a fence and get loose for the first time after ten years of dog ownership? Maybe if it happened multiple times and the dog destroyed property (like kill a neighbor's chickens). That's really really harsh.

BTW I don't think that the dog looks like a wolf hybrid.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:43 AM

9,580 posts, read 5,776,317 times
It is crazy. Aurora Animal Control does not have a good reputation. Aurora has a breed ban (pit bulls) and has been known to euthanize dogs that could not be proven to be pits. I hope Aurora gets tons of bad press for this latest move. This is obviously a loved and cared for pet that was good enough to be adopted out by a neighboring county's shelter. The dog's vet does not think he is a wolf hybrid. Animal Control is being deliberately obtuse and stubborn for holding this dog and claiming that it is a wolf and/or they have ulterior motives of some kind. It just doesn't make sense. The poor dog and his family suffers while they await the DNA results which may not even be a reliable measure. It's so wrong.

It's also messed up that they are claiming aggression when it's well known that even the tamest dogs can become aggressive when in stress full situations such as a shelter.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:45 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,572,716 times
Hopefully the test results are reliable in differentiating between wolf DNA and dog DNA (as opposed to differentiating between dog breeds).

Old 03-14-2017, 10:34 AM

1,403 posts, read 842,932 times
This article sickens me to the core. If Animal Control has the power to euthanize a beloved pet based upon "his appearance, mannerisms, and behavior", and thus concluding that the dog must be part wolf, then what is to stop any law enforcement agency or shelter from doing the same?? Mannerisms and behavior, which are not detailed in the article, could be anything from cowering in a corner to baring teeth and acting aggressive simply because the dog is in an unfamiliar environment and may be scared witless over (a) the way he is being handled, (b) the type of confinement, (c) the proximity of other highly stressed, vocal dogs around him...and on and on. HOW DARE THEY!!

I am so livid that I can't even express how I feel.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:16 AM

21,788 posts, read 21,643,482 times
So what if it is a wolf hybrid? Its not vicious, it hasn't caused any harm and its been the families pet for 10 years. That's just crazy chit right there.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:35 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,249,891 times
I don't know if he's part wolf or not (he doesn't look like one to me), but animal shelters and animal control have proven over and over again in studies that they are horrible at guessing dog breeds. Wisdom Panel can now test for wolves.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:26 AM

16,025 posts, read 19,604,450 times
I saw this earlier this week. Really ludicrous for these people not to get their beloved dog back.

We had a family lose their labs last year. And by the time they found out where the dog catcher took them they were already adopted out....and the family fought hard to get them back....The rescue agency wouldn't budge. Those poor people lost their dogs because of bureaucracy. It is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or