U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 08:07 AM

43,405 posts, read 52,393,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
My dog loves fruits and veggies. At the sound of the cutting board sliding out of the cabinet, he comes running.
One of mine is like that.
The other one doesn't really care.
The first one stole raw carrots from us yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 01:24 PM

119 posts, read 75,823 times
My retired service dog's emergency recall word is carrot. Due to allergies carrots were his only edible chews.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:01 PM

12,392 posts, read 7,449,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
My dog is a 4-legged garbage disposal.
That describes my dog as well. I don't think I've ever given him anything he doesn't like.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:58 PM

919 posts, read 325,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Chocolate toxicity depends on the kind of chocolate as well as the size of the dog.

Back in 1990 my daughter was in Desert Storm. She loves Oreo cookies and I had bought her six large packages of the double-stuffed ones...60 cookies per package, 360 cookies total.

I had boxed them up and left the box on the table when I went to work the next day, intending to take the box to the post office on the following Saturday.

Imagine my surprise when I came home from work and found little pieces of cellophane on the living room floor. I had no idea what it could be -- until I walked into the kitchen and saw the box torn open and all the cookies gone.

I called my doberman, who came out of the bedroom very slowly and awkwardly. He had eaten all 360 cookies and then drank every bit of water from the large bucket that I kept out for him. His abdomen was so swollen I could have thumped him like a pumpkin.

I called the vet but Oreos (even that many) apparently arent that dangerous for a large dog -- and the time for doing anything medically had passed anyway. He was pretty miserable for a few days, though, and you can imagine what cleaning up my yard was like during that time.
My now gone Rotti couldn't resist anything with oil or butter.
As soon as I opened the door I'd know when he'd been in the bin. Instead of his happy welcome he'd hang his head in shame. He was normally such a good boy, it's a shame that I didn't have a nanny cam to see how many times he went to the bin before succumbing to temptation.
There'd be the "little pieces" of wrapping spread across the lounge-room floor, carefully licked clean.

Rushing out the door one day, I forgot to take out the rubbish that contained a dozen 'special' cookies. He was lying prostate at the door & at first I thought he was dead. Nuh, just happily stoned & in a deep sleep (it did fix what I presumed to be arthritis in his back legs)

My point was this though; dogs are carnivores. We are omnivores. Many owners look through their own eyes at what & how the dog eats, or what it would enjoy.
Given the choice, many kids would just LOVE a bowlful of lollies for a meal. But we feed them something healthier because we want our kids to be healthy & we don't want them to get cavities or develop diabetes.

Giving ones dog food when we're eating, is a terrible habit. It trains them to beg (something that I detest) & worse. Imagine being at a BBQ & the dog sees a little kid with a sausage. I've seen it happen where the dog will just help themselves, aggressively if that's what it takes.
My Rotti pup is a guts but has already learnt that staring at me when I eat is a complete waste of time.
Not sharing doesn't make me feel guilty at all because I love my boy & I want him to be as healthy as a dog can be.

Sugar of any kind should not be in a dogs diet period, no exceptions. Nor salty preservative processed snack foods for that matter.

During a lengthy stay in hospital years ago, a lady brought around a service dog & had people feeding her dog BISCUITS! One after the other, patient after patient. She didn't want to hear that she was damaging her lovely Lab.
The poor dog had bad gums, plaque, bad breath & was overweight (no, she was just 'big-boned' & she had an appointment with the dentist. Dog dentist? DENTIST?!? Ever heard of a bone lady?) That in my eyes, is just bl**dy cruel.
Another person came in with their Lab for patients to pat weeks later & he gave them small grain free kibble to give to his dog. He told me that the ladies dog was being 'rested' because it had diabetes (no surprise to either of us) He also tried to discuss the issue with her but she didn't want to hear (stupid ignorant women) saying "but she loves biscuits" (ugh) & refused to believe that she was the cause of her dogs illness.
Talk to any vet & they'll tell you that diabetes in dogs is a big problem. As is cavities, diseased gums & foul breath. Most of us know how painful cavities can be. Poor oral health is often linked to other illness. People are damaging their poor animals out of misconceived 'kindness'.

My old 50kg Rotti lived to 14yo & had pearly white teeth, healthy gums & no breath odour. So does my 5 1/2mo Rotti. All they ever ate/eat is raw meaty bones with things like dried liver & pigs ears, sardines, & cottage cheese for treats.

Excuse the rant, as you can see, it's something that I'm passionate about. If it helps just one owner to 'see the light' & save their furry mate from avoidable pain & illness, it's worth the effort.

P.S. Yes I can imagine picking up after a dog that feasted on a box of cookies, lol. Sloppy with a foul stench I imagine. My boy now saves his poo for the neighbours front lawns on our daily walks. Picking up his firm stools that don't stink too bad with a plastic bag isn't so terrible compared to the loose stinky ones that stick to the grass, from dogs who are fed commercial processed rubbish & snack foods.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:46 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,253,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
My now gone Rotti couldn't resist anything with oil or butter.
As soon as I opened the door I'd know when he'd been in the bin. Instead of his happy welcome he'd hang his head in shame. He was normally such a good boy, it's a shame that I didn't have a nanny cam to see how many times he went to the bin before succumbing to temptation.
There'd be the "little pieces" of wrapping spread across the lounge-room floor, carefully licked clean.

Rushing out the door one day, I forgot to take out the rubbish that contained a dozen 'special' cookies. He was lying prostate at the door & at first I thought he was dead. Nuh, just happily stoned & in a deep sleep (it did fix what I presumed to be arthritis in his back legs)

My point was this though; dogs are carnivores. We are omnivores. Many owners look through their own eyes at what & how the dog eats, or what it would enjoy.
Given the choice, many kids would just LOVE a bowlful of lollies for a meal. But we feed them something healthier because we want our kids to be healthy & we don't want them to get cavities or develop diabetes.

Giving ones dog food when we're eating, is a terrible habit. It trains them to beg (something that I detest) & worse. Imagine being at a BBQ & the dog sees a little kid with a sausage. I've seen it happen where the dog will just help themselves, aggressively if that's what it takes.
My Rotti pup is a guts but has already learnt that staring at me when I eat is a complete waste of time.
Not sharing doesn't make me feel guilty at all because I love my boy & I want him to be as healthy as a dog can be.

Sugar of any kind should not be in a dogs diet period, no exceptions. Nor salty preservative processed snack foods for that matter.

During a lengthy stay in hospital years ago, a lady brought around a service dog & had people feeding her dog BISCUITS! One after the other, patient after patient. She didn't want to hear that she was damaging her lovely Lab.
The poor dog had bad gums, plaque, bad breath & was overweight (no, she was just 'big-boned' & she had an appointment with the dentist. Dog dentist? DENTIST?!? Ever heard of a bone lady?) That in my eyes, is just bl**dy cruel.
Another person came in with their Lab for patients to pat weeks later & he gave them small grain free kibble to give to his dog. He told me that the ladies dog was being 'rested' because it had diabetes (no surprise to either of us) He also tried to discuss the issue with her but she didn't want to hear (stupid ignorant women) saying "but she loves biscuits" (ugh) & refused to believe that she was the cause of her dogs illness.
Talk to any vet & they'll tell you that diabetes in dogs is a big problem. As is cavities, diseased gums & foul breath. Most of us know how painful cavities can be. Poor oral health is often linked to other illness. People are damaging their poor animals out of misconceived 'kindness'.

My old 50kg Rotti lived to 14yo & had pearly white teeth, healthy gums & no breath odour. So does my 5 1/2mo Rotti. All they ever ate/eat is raw meaty bones with things like dried liver & pigs ears, sardines, & cottage cheese for treats.

Excuse the rant, as you can see, it's something that I'm passionate about. If it helps just one owner to 'see the light' & save their furry mate from avoidable pain & illness, it's worth the effort.

P.S. Yes I can imagine picking up after a dog that feasted on a box of cookies, lol. Sloppy with a foul stench I imagine. My boy now saves his poo for the neighbours front lawns on our daily walks. Picking up his firm stools that don't stink too bad with a plastic bag isn't so terrible compared to the loose stinky ones that stick to the grass, from dogs who are fed commercial processed rubbish & snack foods.
Good for you. I thought the thread was about fruit and veggies; not about Rubbish (which if a dog is trained correctly will not get into), massive number of biscuits, salty items, bad breath and rotten teeth. Which neither of my dogs have.

And my dogs both have nice firm piles, but I do not allow them to poop on my neighbors front yard, and if my neighbor sent or walked their dog over to my front yard to poop, I would decorate his windows with flying turds.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:10 PM

919 posts, read 325,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Good for you. I thought the thread was about fruit and veggies; not about Rubbish (which if a dog is trained correctly will not get into), massive number of biscuits, salty items, bad breath and rotten teeth. Which neither of my dogs have.

And my dogs both have nice firm piles, but I do not allow them to poop on my neighbors front yard, and if my neighbor sent or walked their dog over to my front yard to poop, I would decorate his windows with flying turds.
I can see that my point has been totally lost on some.
People were posting that apart from fruit & veggies, they were feeding rubbish like candy to their dogs.
It's hard for some to actually understand; dogs are carnivores, not human.

If you actually read (& comprehended) what I said, I actually pick up my dogs turds so there'd be nothing for you to indulge in your decorating fetish.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:26 PM

31,273 posts, read 19,739,850 times
I have 3 dogs and have no idea if any of them like fruits or veggies. They get dog food, dog biscuits, greenies, nyla bones, etc.

They do not get human food.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-30-2017, 06:35 AM

15,148 posts, read 19,662,705 times
The below link lists foods that are toxic to dogs. Onions and grape/raisins are high on the deadly list.

I take exception ot the inclusion of avocados in the list. Avocado skins and pits contain persin, which is dangerous -- but the actual avocado doesnt. I've fed avocado to my dogs for many years. They've all loved it even more than I do.

https://www.caninejournal.com/foods-not-to-feed-dog/

Old 03-31-2017, 03:51 PM

12,392 posts, read 7,449,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
I can see that my point has been totally lost on some.
People were posting that apart from fruit & veggies, they were feeding rubbish like candy to their dogs.
It's hard for some to actually understand; dogs are carnivores, not human.
I only saw one poster say their dog has eaten peppermints, the rest of the posters names fruits and vegetables.

Oh, and one poster said their dog stole some butter from the counter, which I wouldn't actually consider feeding butter to the dog.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:09 PM

7,049 posts, read 4,084,290 times
Our lab would eat most any fruit/vegetable. Carrots and oranges are a favorite he will do anything for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or