U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:33 AM

13,820 posts, read 18,775,199 times

Advertisements

I just had lunch with a friend who told me that her german shepherd dog who is 8 and half years old bit her 5 yr old child . Then she proceeds to tell me that she found a trainer who is telling her she can trust this dog around her 5 yr old now mind you the trainer has not yet seen the dog nor even looked at the dog but she will in a week . I think my friend is nuts for not re homing this dog to a family who has no kids . I see her calling me in a week and telling me that this gsd has bitten again and she will then re home him . I don't know if I could trust a dog that has bitten a 5 yr old . The other friend who I will call tracey said she would put that dog down in a flat minute if it bit her child . I cant understand how someone would trust a dog that has bitten a 5 yr old I think that is an accident waiting to happen . Me , myself I love dogs but if that dog bit a 5 yr old he would have to be re homed there are no second chances with dogs and kids in my house . What say the rest of you ? the reason she is saying that the dog bit was because the 5 yr old fell on him and he has arthritis really bad ...in case someone is wondering .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 10:43 AM

31,613 posts, read 19,939,787 times
Bit, bit at, or nipped?

What was the mark left?

Our border collie is almost 11 and has bad arthritis, if you hit his hips he does a reactionary "bite" but has never left a mark. Is the dog on medication to lower his pain level?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-15-2017, 11:00 AM

4,240 posts, read 1,566,253 times
I don't trust most 5 year olds around pets...

If this kid fell on the dog and the dog has a painful physical condition, is the dog expected to just "grin and bear it" like a human? We need to stop trying to expect pets to act like people.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:30 PM

8,240 posts, read 11,104,689 times
Dogs and tiny children are not a good combo, despite what you see in the movies.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:41 PM

16,720 posts, read 14,684,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I just had lunch with a friend who told me that her german shepherd dog who is 8 and half years old bit her 5 yr old child
The dog should be rehomed immediately.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:54 PM

5,104 posts, read 5,387,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
The dog should be rehomed immediately.
I say rehome the child.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:10 PM

4,508 posts, read 2,120,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I don't trust most 5 year olds around pets...

If this kid fell on the dog and the dog has a painful physical condition, is the dog expected to just "grin and bear it" like a human? We need to stop trying to expect pets to act like people.
Amen!

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the dog.

The kid needs a trainer, not the dog.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:29 PM

4,003 posts, read 2,602,979 times
Bit or nipped? What were the circumstances? Did the child startle the dog out of sleep or catch the dog unawares? To me that is different from the dog biting the child unprovoked. The dog may have reacted blindly or if the dog has arthritis, and the child fell on her the dog may have snapped in reflex. Depending on the circumstances, if the child and the dog can be trained it may be able to be resolved.

If not, the dog should be rehomed. I would not euthanize the dog without at least trying to rehome it. However if a good home (which would include checking references, doing a home visit and asking a reasonable rehoming fee) can't be found IMO it is more humane to euthanize the dog than take it to a shelter where it will be euthanized anyway or to give it away to someone who will talk a good game but will end up dumping the dog or worse. Older GSDs get euthanized in shelters all the time and one who had an issue with a child won't stand a chance.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:59 PM

22,656 posts, read 28,672,666 times
What was the child doing when the bite happened?

Was it really a bite, or was it a nip or a tooth knock. Dogs discipline "puppies" with a tooth knock with the outside edge of the tooth. It does no harm, but it startles and hurts a bit. I wouldn't criticize a dog for giving a tooth knock to a child with bad manners.

If the dog genuinely bit and drew blood that's different. If a German Shepherd really bites you, you are going to need stitches. If the dog drew blood and caused a doctor's visit for emergency stitches, then I think the dog should be put down. German Shepherds generally have really good bite inhibition and it is not a good sign when one rips holes in flesh.

If the dog gave a tooth knock, I think the child needs to be disciplined and taught how to behave around dogs.

If the parent is going to be nervous about it, maybe the dog should go to a home where it is better appreciated.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:34 PM

31,613 posts, read 19,939,787 times
My husband's Border Collie nipped the youngest when he was about 3. He was running around and getting wild when he was herded with a nip.

Child screamed bloody murder. Barely a mark (tip of penis )

That was a very rare occurrence. More information is really needed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or