U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 04:34 PM

38,404 posts, read 2,903,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I think people are judgmental about too many things that are none of their concern. So you think that the person on SS disability isn't "really" disabled. Or the person using the SNAP card in front of you in line isn't buying the food they "should" be buying. Or the mom and baby don't "deserve" to have WIC because she has an iPhone. Or the service dog isn't "really" a service dog because the dog doesn't look like one, the person doesn't appear to be disabled, or you just think they're faking. Bottom line: it's not my business what other people do. It's impossible for me and most people to tell if a service dog is real or if another person is disabled. Don't assume you have x-ray vision and magical insight into the person's life and the dog accompanying the person. The dog may indeed be a service dog even if it doesn't appear to be. Even if it isn't, it's up to others to do the right thing and I can't control their behavior. I have my own problems to deal with.

Thak you for some common sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 04:44 PM

124 posts, read 66,493 times
Yes people abuse the service dog thing. I ran into a couple yesterday. Each had their own dog. One was a bully mix (beautiful boy). The other caught my eye. The tail
& the way she pranced. I approached the woman (not the dog). Had to
ask her what mix breed the dog was. Yep it was part Italian Greyhound. She was black & had shorter legs. We both agreed. It doesn't matter what she is. She is the love of her life. I know better to not approach service dogs. I even told the lady that. She said it was ok to pet her. I still don't overly do it. She sniffed me & the scent of my 3 dogs. Pretty girl. I even had to pull my phone out with a picture of my Italian Greyhound & 2 minpins.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:38 PM

10,391 posts, read 14,230,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I stated that dogs should be allowed in generally.
Considering the 'typical' animal owner I disagree, speaking as one who has had to clean puddles off the floor and throw away mdse because owners let their so called 'service dog' run the store off leash. Quaking, quivering, yapping, peeing dogs and their owners really don't need to be in stores or restaurants. Generally a service dog is well trained and behaved, as for the rest... who knows, but I'm tired of the trend and of having to clean up after the messes.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:46 PM

28,401 posts, read 61,798,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
speaking as one who has had to clean puddles off the floor
...I'm tired of the trend and of having to clean up after the messes.
So your view isn't the least bit biased then. Thanks

Old 03-18-2017, 05:51 PM

10,391 posts, read 14,230,723 times
Quote:
So your view isn't the least bit biased then. Thanks
How about practical, you know, as someone who has to deal with this nonsense on a regular basis? Do you really think as a pet owner your opinion isn't biased? You are welcome.

ETA, if it makes a difference we have a couple of regulars with service dogs (one is as big as a bus!), they are not a problem, unlike the house pets. Don't even get me started on the lady that brought her monkey in with her!

Old 03-18-2017, 06:10 PM

1,146 posts, read 419,737 times
Quote:
Some stores actually encourage it. Of course having a sweet and well behaved dog helps.
The greeter lady at the Home Depot even keeps some treats

Cheech has been coming in with me since he was small enough to stay in the cart.
Now when we go ...as often as not he'll be OFF LEASH in the store with me.
Yes, a sweet and well behaved dog does help. My local grocery store allows it as does the transit system I take on a daily basis. Hell, my local watering hole up the street encourages me to bring my 6 lb yorkie in and if I dont, its like "where's Ripley at?" I'm affectionately known as Ripley's dad. Works for me.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:20 PM

28,401 posts, read 61,798,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert&Ripley View Post
Yes, a sweet and well behaved dog does help.
My local grocery store allows it as does the transit system I take on a daily basis.
NYC allows dogs on the subway too... so long as they're in a bag. (see pic below)
Quote:
Hell, my local watering hole up the street encourages me to bring...
And they put out dishes for water too ... it's all very nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Fake service dogs...  don't do it!-nyc-subway-dogs.jpg  

Old 03-18-2017, 06:27 PM

18,143 posts, read 19,894,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Let's make a new official federal government agency to certify and identify service animals so people can be sure that a dog is a real service animal. We don't already pay enough taxes and we aren't already in enough debt.

I don't see how states can override federal law, the ADA is already established.
The problem is while the ADAwas started out as something good, it has been absolutely disgustingly abused by people both disabled and not disabled. So while I sympathize with people who legitimately have a need to be protected by the ADA I have no compassion for the abusers.
There are ways to fight back against the abusers. Simply start charging the maximum allowed deposits and enforce all lease and city laws.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:37 PM

1,146 posts, read 419,737 times
Quote:
NYC allows dogs on the subway too... so long as they're in a bag. (see pic below)

And they put out dishes for water too ... it's all very nice.
I do have a dog pouch that I use when in the grocery store and bus/trolley. She loves it! People always comment "she's so peaceful in that pouch." Its her security blanket and she gets to be right near me. The owner of the bar I frequent has a special glass for her to drink water out of. He always says "the usual Ripley?" She tips him with lots of licks to the face. God bless dog lovers.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:41 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,962,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The problem is while the ADAwas started out as something good, it has been absolutely disgustingly abused by people both disabled and not disabled. So while I sympathize with people who legitimately have a need to be protected by the ADA I have no compassion for the abusers.
There are ways to fight back against the abusers. Simply start charging the maximum allowed deposits and enforce all lease and city laws.
Not allowed to charge a pet deposit at a hotel for a service animal. As for enforcing any other laws that do not conflict with the ADA, absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or