Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Came across an article the other day about people slapping a service dog vest on their pets and then sneaking then into places where dogs are banned, like restaurants, movie theatres and airplanes. And even apartments rentals. Anyway, trying to pass a pet off as a service dog is just not cool.

Pretending Your Pet Is A Service Animal Could Soon Be Illegal
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...qLI/story.html
It's already illegal per Federal law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
I pretended it once... Went into a pharmacy to buy a pack of cigs and was already there when some hyperactive manager started to demand me to leave. I told her to back off, bought my cigarettes and went out in less than a minute, no harm done. Since then, I tie my dog in front of that pharmacy and no one can get in or out of it while I am inside, but I break no law....
lol. I almost did that last night. I used to have an actual service dog. I had this spontaneous moment where I thought I'm taking this dog into the 7-11. But lol, this dog could never pass for one. She won't even sit unless I have a treat in my hand!

Old 03-18-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The legislature has adjourned. Next year, it will be a short session focused on the budget.

I recently encountered a young woman in a store who was accompanied by a dog. I, of course, greeted the dog. She seemed visibly upset when I touched her dog who certainly did not mind. I am sure he was her support. I don't see any problem whatsoever in bringing pets to stores; I see it frequently.
It is very poor form to touch someone's dog w/o permission. Especially a service dog.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Not allowed to charge a pet deposit at a hotel for a service animal. As for enforcing any other laws that do not conflict with the ADA, absolutely.
In Nevada it is a crime to say your dog is a service animal unless you are blind. That is crazy. And contradicts Federal law. I had no problem with mine regardless. whew.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:44 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
When the law first came out my brother & I went out to dinner & were almost turned away. My brother (\who has since passed) was blind & his dog had a harness that clearly showed he was a service dog. My brother had a card that said his service dog was his eyes & therefore allowed. But, it took a long time for people to accept that fact.

It was a hard fight & should not be abused.

Service dogs should NOT be approached or petted while on duty. Once that harness is on they cease to be pets & are at work.

On a lighter note, my brother asked me to take the dog out & when he heard the jingle of the harness he said, no, that's just for when he's out with me. Well, that dog, whom I loved dearly, ran me through every briar patch he could.

I still chuckle at the thought & remembrance.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
When the law first came out my brother & I went out to dinner & were almost turned away. My brother (\who has since passed) was blind & his dog had a harness that clearly showed he was a service dog. My brother had a card that said his service dog was his eyes & therefore allowed. But, it took a long time for people to accept that fact.

It was a hard fight & should not be abused.

Service dogs should NOT be approached or petted while on duty. Once that harness is on they cease to be pets & are at work.

On a lighter note, my brother asked me to take the dog out & when he heard the jingle of the harness he said, no, that's just for when he's out with me. Well, that dog, whom I loved dearly, ran me through every briar patch he could.

I still chuckle at the thought & remembrance.
You can ask. I let people pet mine. Unless she or I didn't like them, lol. I ask all the time and accept the 'no' but usually the answer is yes.

But for God's sake don't ask what the dog does. We don't ask random strangers about their medical conditions and a service dog does not give one an excuse to do that!

Old 03-18-2017, 08:55 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You can ask. I let people pet mine. Unless she or I didn't like them, lol. I ask all the time and accept the 'no' but usually the answer is yes.

But for God's sake don't ask what the dog does. We don't ask random strangers about their medical conditions and a service dog does not give one an excuse to do that!
???
That is actually one of two questions that are legally allowed to be asked to ascertain if the dog is a service animal, per the ADA
A. In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Not allowed to charge a pet deposit at a hotel for a service animal. As for enforcing any other laws that do not conflict with the ADA, absolutely.
I charge what I'm legally allowed to charge. I don't have any rules conflicting with the ADA. Some don't like my required amounts but that's their problem

Old 03-19-2017, 05:31 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
So your view isn't the least bit biased then. Thanks
And yours isn't????

There is a huge difference between the way a properly trained service dog behaves vs. a pet dog. I'm betting you haven't been around one to see the difference. Service dogs must be impervious to giving in to instinct no matter what the stimulus, they must be able to keep their attention completely on their job, and they must be able to sit and lay down for as long as the situation requires it in restaurants, meetings, travel situations etc. They are not allowed to run up to other dogs for a meet and greet. They need to take on any situation without giving in to fear or anxiety. The training that is required is at a level that most pet owners wouldn't be able to afford, and it takes a special temperament to do the job. The rarest, most expensive purebred dog doesn't have the intrinsic value of a trained service animal.

That is why legitimate service dogs are allowed into places pet dogs are not. They aren't going to be exhibiting bad behavior like making messes or being too social for some people's comfort level.

Can you see a mere companion animal with the lax training too many owners provide being that disciplined? They don't have the level of thinking that tells them "ok, NOW I have to behave so I don't give my owner's fraud away."

Last edited by ContraPagan; 03-19-2017 at 05:39 AM..

Old 03-19-2017, 05:39 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,447 times
So if you don't see a perfectly trained dog then it's not a service animal. It couldn't possibly perform a function for it's disabled owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs