Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 11:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,536,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
WY is about to pass a law making it illegal.
These fake service animals are a joke considering how long it takes to train a true service animal. They need to be fined and fined big!
The legislature has adjourned. Next year, it will be a short session focused on the budget.

I recently encountered a young woman in a store who was accompanied by a dog. I, of course, greeted the dog. She seemed visibly upset when I touched her dog who certainly did not mind. I am sure he was her support. I don't see any problem whatsoever in bringing pets to stores; I see it frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 07:00 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,442,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
I pretended it once... Went into a pharmacy to buy a pack of cigs and was already there when some hyperactive manager started to demand me to leave. I told her to back off, bought my cigarettes and went out in less than a minute, no harm done. Since then, I tie my dog in front of that pharmacy and no one can get in or out of it while I am inside, but I break no law....

^^^ There should be a button to deduct rep "points".

Old 03-18-2017, 08:05 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,575,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I don't see any problem whatsoever in bringing pets to stores; I see it frequently.
Some stores actually encourage it. Of course having a sweet and well behaved dog helps.
The greeter lady at the Home Depot even keeps some treats

Cheech has been coming in with me since he was small enough to stay in the cart.
Now when we go ...as often as not he'll be OFF LEASH in the store with me.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:51 AM

776 posts, read 949,512 times
MR rational.

Here in Canada, Home Depot and many other retailers ban all live animals, except those that have a certificate from the Provincial Government that identifies the animal as a service dog.

In addition , all retail stores that sell or prepare food, are animal free , again except for certified service animals. All licensed bars and clubs are also animal free.

Most public buildings have the same rules.

Maple Guy.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:09 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,244,868 times
I can easily distinguish a true service dog from one that isn't. Most people can, I think. You can slap a vest or whatever you want on the dog but when I see it dragging you around the store, barking, sniffing every person that walks by, stinky/dirty I know it's not a service dog.

The ADA or whoever needs to have a special tag with a I.d. number maybe even a scannable tag with chip?. A person needing confirmation of a service animal should be able to plug in the number on a website to verify the dog and handler.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:18 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,744,878 times
Let's make a new official federal government agency to certify and identify service animals so people can be sure that a dog is a real service animal. We don't already pay enough taxes and we aren't already in enough debt.

I don't see how states can override federal law, the ADA is already established.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Here in Canada...
Most public buildings have the same rules.
How awful for you.
You should work to repeal these absurd laws.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:32 AM

6,916 posts, read 3,905,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How awful for you.
You should work to repeal these absurd laws.
He stated that the dogs must be certified Service Animals. Not absurd at all. I don't see why we can't do that here in the States, require proof that the "service" claim is legitimate.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
He stated that the dogs must be certified Service Animals.
I stated that dogs should be allowed in generally.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:19 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,764 posts, read 40,048,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I stated that dogs should be allowed in generally.
Allowed in where "generally"?

Obviously, for any establishment serving food, there should be no animals in the establishment. Plus, there are those who are allergic to animals. And a real service animal is personality tested and well trained. And average pet with an average owner will most likely have problems in a crowded public venue. The poor animal could be stepped on by mistake. Then there is a chance that the dog might urinate or poo inside for any number of reasons, stress or just the owner losing track of time as they enjoy themselves in the restaurant, bar or club. Also, if randomly with several strange dogs, they might get aggressive with each other and start a fight. Keep the dogs in the dog parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs