U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2017, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles CA
1,637 posts, read 924,616 times
Reputation: 1047

Advertisements

I have no experience saving an animal from the street but I feel bad for the little cute dogs like a chihuahua who are on the street and would feel I want to take them some where where they will take it into custody and take care of him/her

Whenever I pass by an abandoned dog I feel bad I don't want to be an owner thou at the most I want to provide temporary shelter ( feed them, give them water,milk shower them, provide a place to sleep)
Until someone will save it from the streets

Is there a way I can go by doing this ? How can I save them? Where do I take them?

I live in California if that helps
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2017, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Eureka CA
8,156 posts, read 11,053,287 times
Reputation: 12398
Call the closest Humane Society and ask them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2017, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mntns., NC
10,775 posts, read 15,050,243 times
Reputation: 9569
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I have no experience saving an animal from the street but I feel bad for the little cute dogs like a chihuahua who are on the street and would feel I want to take them some where where they will take it into custody and take care of him/her

Whenever I pass by an abandoned dog I feel bad I don't want to be an owner thou at the most I want to provide temporary shelter ( feed them, give them water,milk shower them, provide a place to sleep)
Until someone will save it from the streets

Is there a way I can go by doing this ? How can I save them? Where do I take them?

I live in California if that helps
Thanks

Make sure the dog is a stray first -- take it/them to a Humane Society where they will check them for having a micro-chip that can locate their owner, or they can find homes for them.

Make sure it is a 'no kill' shelter please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2017, 07:28 PM
 
13,391 posts, read 6,623,164 times
Reputation: 12823
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Make sure the dog is a stray first -- take it/them to a Humane Society where they will check them for having a micro-chip that can locate their owner, or they can find homes for them.

Make sure it is a 'no kill' shelter please.
Good luck with that in Cali.

find independent rescue groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2017, 12:15 PM
 
1,012 posts, read 1,051,032 times
Reputation: 2064
First, don't give animals cows milk.
Second, you're a gem of a person for wanting to help those poor babies.

Here's what I'd do to help:

Keep old towels, dog biscuits and slip leashes in your car.
When you pick up a stray without identifying tags, take it to a vet or an animal shelter to have it checked for a chip.
If there's no chip, you can leave it at a shelter -- preferably a NO KILL shelter. If the shelter is not no-kill, then find out how long they will keep it, and if you can reclaim it before it's euthanized.
If you end up taking it home, be prepared to post signs around the neighborhood and at local vets' offices, and post online to find its owner. Also contact ALL the local animal shelters to report the pet you've found, because that's where many people will go first and dogs can travel for miles.
In our area, there are all sorts of Facebook pages to get pets back to their owners.

Another way to approach it -- If my dog went missing, where would I look first?
My community Facebook pages (we're really good about posting lost and found pets around here).
My area's lost pets Facebook page.
Local animal shelters.
Local veterinarian offices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2017, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Eureka CA
8,156 posts, read 11,053,287 times
Reputation: 12398
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Good luck with that in Cali.

find independent rescue groups.
There ARE no-kill Humane Society shelters in California. I adopted my dog from one. Just ask when you call them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2017, 12:38 PM
 
3,948 posts, read 2,568,725 times
Reputation: 8489
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
There ARE no-kill Humane Society shelters in California. I adopted my dog from one. Just ask when you call them.
I don't think that's what was meant by the post. I think she meant that no kill shelters are beyond full with dogs. I'd be VERY surprised if the OP could just drop a stray dog off at a no kill shelter and they'd be willing to take it. If I had to guess, a no-kill shelter would probably tell her to take it to the local animal control and then if they are interested in taking the dog, they will do so once the stray hold is up. There are usually laws about what you are required to do when you find a stray, scan for a chip, post you found it and some also require a "filing" with the local animal control.

OP if you want to help a street dog, I'd start with a local street dog rescue. Depending on where you are in CA there should be one. Those rescues usually have information on their website about what to do if you find a stray. I know the rescue (not in CA) that I volunteer with does.

The MOST important thing you can do before you rescue it, unless you are going to take it to animal control, is to have a rescue lined up before capture (assuming the dog is a true stray and not just lost). If you're willing to foster the dog until it is adopted then it should be easy to find a rescue to work with. If not, it may be harder as most need more foster homes.

If you do decide to foster please educate yourself on what needs to be done once you have the dog in the house. It's not unusual for them to sleep (and not eat, drink or relieve themselves) for 24 or even 48 hours after capture. They should never be left in the back yard alone and for at least a couple of weeks, should be double leashed. The rescue should be able to help you with this and the medical assessment that should be done on intake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 PM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,226,976 times
Reputation: 10360
My long time 4-legged lover recently died at 19 years old. I've been getting over the trauma but near enough to finding a new dog that I have been visiting the L.A. animal shelters.

I had a very interesting discussion with a nice animal control officer at a local L.A. city shelter, and asked the question I was very worried about: "How long do you keep them if nobody will adopt them?"

I was astonished when the ACO told me they generally kept them about 3-4 months before euthanizing them, depending on space availability. I had thought they had mere weeks!

I'm really glad our city can afford to give dogs such a long chance to find a loving home. I consider it entirely reasonable if they give dogs 3-4 months to find a new family before they are euthanized. In my opinion, if a dog is so undesirable that nobody will adopt them in 3-4 months, then the animal is probably better off going to a better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 08:37 AM
 
Location: South Florida
4,786 posts, read 5,328,073 times
Reputation: 4829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I consider it entirely reasonable if they give dogs 3-4 months to find a new family before they are euthanized. In my opinion, if a dog is so undesirable that nobody will adopt them in 3-4 months, then the animal is probably better off going to a better place.

I am sorry for your loss. Don't get me wrong.. I know it's hard.. the rest of your post?

WOW

The problem isn't so much that the dogs are undesirable.. it's the countless clueless people who buy/breed dogs without doing enough homework.. only to realize a short time later they don't want to deal with the responsibility of them so they dump them at shelters.. That is the problem. Clueless people.

A friend of mine rescued a dog that lived in a shelter for (4) years.
All lived happily ever after.
There was nothing wrong with the dog.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 04-21-2017 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 12:20 PM
 
3,948 posts, read 2,568,725 times
Reputation: 8489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
My long time 4-legged lover recently died at 19 years old. I've been getting over the trauma but near enough to finding a new dog that I have been visiting the L.A. animal shelters.

I had a very interesting discussion with a nice animal control officer at a local L.A. city shelter, and asked the question I was very worried about: "How long do you keep them if nobody will adopt them?"

I was astonished when the ACO told me they generally kept them about 3-4 months before euthanizing them, depending on space availability. I had thought they had mere weeks!

I'm really glad our city can afford to give dogs such a long chance to find a loving home. I consider it entirely reasonable if they give dogs 3-4 months to find a new family before they are euthanized. In my opinion, if a dog is so undesirable that nobody will adopt them in 3-4 months, then the animal is probably better off going to a better place.
I'm willing to bet that this is for dogs that have made it to the adoption floor. Generally, at large city shelters for every 1 dog that is deemed adoptable and makes it to the section of the shelter that people get to see, there are several that are in the other part of the shelter that is not open to the public. Yes, some of these will have behavior issues or health problems but for many of them there is simply no room in the adoption part of the shelter. I'm pretty sure that those dogs get weeks to days depending on how full the shelter is.

In the summer, the city animal shelter where I live euthanizes 75-100 dogs a day because of lack of space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top