U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 05:53 PM

14,143 posts, read 11,575,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Actually to ask what the function/service the dog is needed for is a violation not just as the disabilities act but also even wagers into HIPPA ( AND HR. 3119 ).
NO business or people employed by said public business may inquire as the task the dog performs, as it can state the disability the person has.

As far as a Pom not being to be a service dog, this is also not true. If the disability is say seizure alert dog, and they are a very smart trainable breed, this could be easily trained.

Yes. As I see it asking someone what they need a service dog for is like someone asking me why I need a cane or my AFO. Or even asking why it is I have a disabled parking placard. Something like.."what's it to ya" comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 06:45 PM

13,369 posts, read 6,605,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This is an example of why having a government issued license issued to you with the dog's picture on it could be helpful to those who are legitimate. Instead of answering questions you could just flash the license at her and you don't have to explain anything to her. I think having to explain what the dog does too often forces the person to reveal what their disability is, which I think teeters on an invasion of privacy.

It is shame it has come to this but the correct place to place blame is on the fakers, not on those who have seen too many "service" dogs that weren't service dogs. If everyone did the right thing this wouldn't be happening.

That is actually one of the two questions that can be legally asked by businesses. Any person with a service dog ought to be prepared to answer that question.
The woman was not the business owner or manager or employee and no it's not the fault of fakers. People are rude.

They don't know you're not supposed to go up to random strangers and ask them about their medical conditions.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:50 PM

I was in the grocery store recently and a women had a german shepherd with her vest on and all the stuff saying 'service dog' which means nothing, but the dog didn't give any indication she wasn't legit.

All I wanted to know was may I pet her? The answer was yes so I enjoyed that. another woman asked what is your service dog for? And I was like omg. The woman answered that the dog helps her if she has a panic attack and the other woman said 'oh, ok' and it was really hard for me to ask do you have any medial conditions?

I see stool softener in your cart - what do you need that for? Because that is what she was doing to the woman with the service dog.

And I would have done it had I seen her again in the store away from the lady with the SD. I didn't want to upset HER, though, so I didn't say anything to rude lady.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
All you have done is give a good example of why there should be some unfakeable certificate of the dog being a genuine service dog. I don't judge by the dog's size, I judge by its behavior and the owner's. So far I have not confronted any of the fakers about it, but I have mentioned it to a store worker, who said, "I'm with you" but noted that workers could not question the owner themselves, but they CAN log complaints with management about the "service dog" abuse. And she logged it.

If you have a true service dog provided to help with your autism, that reason is none of anyone else's business. What is their business, however, is whether you are one of the fakers.

The fake service dog thing definitely is worse in some places than others. We moved from a town where we saw such fakery every week, and no it was not the same person. The culture there enabled the fakers.
No. It isn't the business of random people.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:13 PM

34 posts, read 13,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
My wife and I are both in our mid 80s. My wife required ear operations 20 years ago. She is deaf in one ear, and hard of hearing in the other. What she needs is a dog to let her know what is happening around her. Something that will warn her of and dangers around her. Let her know when someone enters the area our home is located. Out and about, she needs warned to keep out of problems, that people with good hearing do them selves.

My wife has a Chihuahua, as a service dog. The Chihuahua is one of the top watch dogs in the world. They are always on alert, and know if something is wrong. They are a great early warning dog. My wife knows if someone is at our door having given a soft knock instead of the door bell. My wife when out, knows if someone is coming up behind her. Any danger of any kind, that little dog knows and lets her know. We often get UPS and FedEx deliveries. She knows they are there, before they even put the package by our door. The dog has told her. He has a way of knowing if it is a UPS or FedEx delivery and gives a different notice to my wife. I think the reason he does, is because they deliver his dog food and treats, and he is interested in seeing if there is some new treat.

Last fall, he absolutely went nuts and was telling her something is wrong. I checked and found that a Brahma Bull had got away from the fair, and had wondered to our neighborhood. He was eating grass in our lawn. A man that was trying to rope him had followed him, and when the man got too close the bull charged him. The man was sitting on top of our 8 foot back yard chain link fence. He told me that he never knew he could climb such a fence or how fast he could do it, till that bull charged. That little 5 pound dog went out and drove the bull far enough away the cowboy could get down, phone his location to the other searchers and they came in with ATV's and cornered him and roped him from two sides and lead him away.

My wife has had 3 hearing ear dogs. First a miniature Collie, a Jack Russel Terrier, and for the last 10 years a Chihuahua. The dog does not have to be a big German Shepard, etc., to be a service dog. Depending on the job they do, size may or may not be an important factor.
I'm glad he can be such a big help to your wife! It's important for people to realize that some little dogs can bring a LOT to the table for people with disabilities. While huge, mellow dogs may be ideal for someone who has stability issues for example, it may not be the best for someone who needs help hearing.

The Bull thing is terrifying. I've actually never even seen a bull in real life but it's good that your dog was able to alert you to help the poor guy. At least he has an interesting story to tell.. I imagine it's not everyday you get charged up a fence by a bull.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:15 PM

34 posts, read 13,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I was in the grocery store recently and a women had a german shepherd with her vest on and all the stuff saying 'service dog' which means nothing, but the dog didn't give any indication she wasn't legit.

All I wanted to know was may I pet her? The answer was yes so I enjoyed that. another woman asked what is your service dog for? And I was like omg. The woman answered that the dog helps her if she has a panic attack and the other woman said 'oh, ok' and it was really hard for me to ask do you have any medial conditions?

I see stool softener in your cart - what do you need that for? Because that is what she was doing to the woman with the service dog.

And I would have done it had I seen her again in the store away from the lady with the SD. I didn't want to upset HER, though, so I didn't say anything to rude lady.
Sounds exactly like something my grandma would say! Very funny after the fact, but in the situation sort of just makes it worse for the person (who probably already feels put off).

So I'm very pleased to hear that you refrained from doing so in front of her/the dog. It's nice to see some people are courteous of others

Old 03-26-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc94 View Post
Sounds exactly like something my grandma would say! Very funny after the fact, but in the situation sort of just makes it worse for the person (who probably already feels put off).

So I'm very pleased to hear that you refrained from doing so in front of her/the dog. It's nice to see some people are courteous of others
Well, yeah I mean compounding the problem for the lady with the SD was not in order! I do wish I had seen the other lady later.

Preferable in the OTC medicine aisles or in line at the pharmacy

Old 03-26-2017, 07:24 PM

Anyway my point is that busy-bodies who think it's their job to police service dogs should get some education of their own.

If I have the chance again I will educate in that manner.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:58 PM

5,279 posts, read 2,281,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
The woman was not the business owner or manager or employee and no it's not the fault of fakers. People are rude.

They don't know you're not supposed to go up to random strangers and ask them about their medical conditions.
Understood but you also could understand that the epidemic of "this is my therapy, I mean service dog" can get quite annoying.

There are now 78625 ailments people can claim to have and bring their pet into a store or restaurant. And believe me, many of the people with their emotional support dog can be just as rude.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Understood but you also could understand that the epidemic of "this is my therapy, I mean service dog" can get quite annoying.

There are now 78625 ailments people can claim to have and bring their pet into a store or restaurant. And believe me, many of the people with their emotional support dog can be just as rude.
Yes and we have two active threads on that topic. This topic is about people with real service dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or