Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 12:15 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,067 times

Advertisements

about 2 weeks ago my 4 year old dog suddenly started limping on front leg and at times will not put any weight on his front leg without pain killers. after a few trips to the vet and an x-ray of the lower part of the arm they determined it was probably a sprained wrist. Painkillers and 2 weeks of seeing if it gets better is where we are at now. I am not confident in the diagnosis as it seems more like a guess than anything. For some reason I am paranoid he has cancer or something in his upper leg or shoulder.

Has anyone had this diagnosis after front leg limping and how long did it take to heal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 02:51 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
What size dog is he? I had something similar with my Border Collie mix but it didn't last two weeks. Were you there when he got hurt to see how it happened or did he just start limping and the vet told you it was a sprain? Perhaps another visit to the vet is in order or maybe a second opinion?

Old 02-06-2017, 04:53 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
My dog recently had a shoulder sprain. Limping pretty badly and couldn't put his full weight on his front leg. After three to four days of anti-inflammatory (Rimadyl) and a couple of days of pain reliever (Tramadol), he was fully recovered.

I suggest getting a second opinion.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:21 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Are you crating him so he will rest it? IF hes running around jumping on/off furniture then its Not going to heal. He needs slow walks & crated. When he taking Pain meds hes Not feeling any pain so hes re-hurting himself.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:09 AM

He's 65 pounds and a healthy weight for his size. I wasn't there when it happened (about two weeks ago). Even on rimadyl he's still got a limp (though not nearly as bad as without meds) so he's limiting activity on his own. No running around or jumping. Dr thinks I should give it two more weeks. Without meds he won't put any weight at all on his injured leg. he Just bounces around on the other leg. I've had two vets look at it now. First one thought it was nothing to worry about and told me to have him take it easy and gave meds. 2nd vet thought she felt some swelling in wrist so x-rayed the lower part of the leg and said it was probably a wrist sprain. I'm worried worst case scenario he has cancer or something up by his shoulder.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:27 AM

Did you tell the vet your concern? & Why would you think he has cancer?

Old 02-07-2017, 10:33 AM

Because my brain doesn't allow me to think of anything but the worst possible scenario when something is unknown. Also because it doesn't seem to be healing when everyone seems to think a sprain doesn't take this long. I did tell my vet, she said it's pretty low on her list of possibilities based on his age and health. I guess it's just not knowing & frustration that the vets don't seem to really know either.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:10 AM

I once sprained my ankle... was told it heal in week to 10 days NOT took 3 Months!

Old 02-07-2017, 11:14 AM

122 posts, read 124,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
I guess it's just not knowing & frustration that the vets don't seem to really know either.
I can understand your frustration. I’ve had many an “animated discussion” with my vet concerning my dogs' care and well being.

Do you have a University Veterinary Teaching Hospital nearby? I have a friend whose Golden Retriever pup developed a chronic limp that was misdiagnosed by multiple vets in town. My friend finally took his pup to the University of Illinois where they diagnosed elbow dysplasia and successfully operated on him. Note: I am NOT saying that is what the underlying issue is with your dog. I’m just saying that the Teaching Hospitals seem to be more aware of leading edge research and technology.

I can also vouch for a Teaching Hospital like U of I. I have a dog who has a juvenile cataract in one eye. I take her to the U of I Ophthalmology Department every six months for a checkup. For a $65 visit, she gets a better and more comprehensive eye exam than I do.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:27 AM

Colorado State University has a teaching hospital. It's about 45 mins away. I hadn't thought of that, thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs