U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:05 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,711,255 times

Advertisements

id firmly but calmly inform them your dog is well mannered, well trained, and will ALWAYS be 150% under control, on leash and supervised, and if they continue their harassment you will contact a laywer.

I would also 1: continue training classes with the goal of getting his canine good citizen certification, not only because it loks fantastic on paper but because its good for you and him too, they love the mental stimulation training brings and that alone has its rewards.
2: take EVERY OPORTUNITY YOU CAN to meet and greet every neighbor you can with him (assuming he is interested in meeting new people and super social) the more neighors you can show how super friendly he is and break the stigma surrounding him...(and thus have those people rolling their eyes at the crazy anti-pitul paranoia neighbors) the easier your life will be...and just imagine how good itll feel when your out and about only to over hear nasty neihgor say something anti pitull only to hear another neighbor turn around and go "oh that guy? hes such a goofball, the worse hes gonna do is Kiss you to death, seriously get over it!" or the satisfaction of being out walking your "scary pitull" to have your anit pitty neighbors walking past freeking out as another neighbor stops to go complety gaga over your pitty baby! lol

if hes friedly DONT hide him from the world...take every opportunity to be a bully breed ambassador and show the rest of your neihgbors just how wonderful a well socialized well trained bully breed truly is.

help teach kids how to PROPERLY say hello to a dog by asking first and petting the chest never the head,
help teach adults how to properly teach their kids to approach people with dogs, ect.

you could turn this whol situation into something AMAZING both for you and your dog and both inspite of and TO spite these anti-bully folks...and who knows...mabe in the process you can slowly change their minds too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 10:17 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,053,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What you are describing isn't irrational. Maybe you wish you didn't fear them but since they have a reputation for a reason and you've witnessed things yourself, it's pretty rational.
Yes I totally agree (by the way I do suspect this thread may be locked soon since pit discussions are sort of on the "no no" list) and I will go one further--I think the onus is on pit owners to PROVE (via training documentation etc) that their dog is OK, versus the onus being on everyone else to trust that it's OK.

I'm not sympathetic towards pit owners much in these situations because there are so many other breeds out there to choose from and those breeds don't have the controversy surrounding them. To me no dog is that special, you can just get another one from another breed and fix the problem really easily that way.

It's not like you're on 60 acres all to yourself, you have oodles of people living close by. It's unrealistic to walk around in public with a breed that's so notorious and expect everyone is going to be all honky dory. Those people have a right to feel safe in their own neighborhood, and to me that's more important than someone's right to own a specific breed when there are thousands of other breeds readily available. People's safety and comfort are more important than a breed being "stereotyped" in my view.

That said, if a pit owner is willing to have their dog certified and they keep the documentation on file and they are very respectful towards a person's legitimate concerns vs taking offense to them and dismissing them, and they go out of their way to be responsible and respectful and such then I think at that point the person being discussed should ease up then and realize that in fact they have exactly what any neighbor would want to have, a responsible dog owner.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:56 AM

31,315 posts, read 19,756,277 times
I'll play devil's advocate.....

Why not invite them to meet your dog? Explain that you don't want them to be worried and think it will alleviate concern if they meet your dog.

My dog is half pit, and I don't tell anyone that. My neighbors love him (he's a puppy... who doesn't love a puppy?), and he is always happy to say "hi!"
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-29-2017, 01:12 PM

919 posts, read 325,696 times
People can be so ignorant.
Yes, due to stupid people in-breeding pits, some can be a problem (it's why they have a bad reputation) but the majority that I've known personally are lovely animals.

You've done the right thing up to now, reassuring her at first, then ignoring what sounds like hysterics born from ignorance.
Personally, I would've told her to make sure to keep away from the dog because one never knows how any dog will react to hysterical fear, lol (I don't tolerate stupid)

It's definitely harassment. I'd think about introducing your dog to your sensible neighbours so they understand that it's a friendly non-aggressive animal.
Suggestions to get a Canine Good Citizen title might be good insurance that would demonstrate your neighbours overreaction through ignorance to the other residents.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:11 PM

1,465 posts, read 887,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Yes I totally agree (by the way I do suspect this thread may be locked soon since pit discussions are sort of on the "no no" list) and I will go one further--I think the onus is on pit owners to PROVE (via training documentation etc) that their dog is OK, versus the onus being on everyone else to trust that it's OK.

I'm not sympathetic towards pit owners much in these situations because there are so many other breeds out there to choose from and those breeds don't have the controversy surrounding them. To me no dog is that special, you can just get another one from another breed and fix the problem really easily that way.

It's not like you're on 60 acres all to yourself, you have oodles of people living close by. It's unrealistic to walk around in public with a breed that's so notorious and expect everyone is going to be all honky dory. Those people have a right to feel safe in their own neighborhood, and to me that's more important than someone's right to own a specific breed when there are thousands of other breeds readily available. People's safety and comfort are more important than a breed being "stereotyped" in my view.

That said, if a pit owner is willing to have their dog certified and they keep the documentation on file and they are very respectful towards a person's legitimate concerns vs taking offense to them and dismissing them, and they go out of their way to be responsible and respectful and such then I think at that point the person being discussed should ease up then and realize that in fact they have exactly what any neighbor would want to have, a responsible dog owner.

As a dog owner who lives in a condo complex, I can appreciate that many residents are not dog lovers and how important it is to keep good control over my dog(s) in the common areas.

I can understand people being afraid of pit bulls and pit bull types and rottweilers, dobermans, etc. What I find objectionable, that your reply does not address, is the neighbor emailing the OP's other neighbors to tell them that the OP is walking a large vicious dog. Since the dog (if we take the OP at his word, which I do) has not done anything to any other animal or human in the building; it is both inaccurate and malicious to spread the word that the OP is walking around with a large vicious dog, the implication being that the OP is negligent and potentially criminal in the duty of care towards his neighbors. If the neighbor had told the other neighbors that the OP is walking around with a large Pit Bull, I would have no problem; because the dog is a Pit Bull, that is only the truth. The neighbor has crossed the line from fear-mongering to slander in accusing the OP of owning a vicious dog when the dog has done nothing but exist and is being kept under control on the property.

I do think that it is not necessarily the most common-sense action to own a Pit Bull, or a Doberman or a Rottweiler or some other breeds in a fairly human-dense apartment building. It's not something I would do. But it's apparently within the rules of the lease/condo association that condo owners can keep any breed of dog; so they have the right to keep a Pit Bull or any other breed/type of dog there; as long as (obviously) the dog isn't running amok or hurting people or otherwise being allowed to break regulations. It seems to me that the ones who are being nuisances are not the OP's Pit Bull but the neighbor couple; who have gone beyond the expression of understandable fear to deliberate trouble-making for the OP.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:10 PM

9 posts, read 6,286 times
Hi there. I don't know if you're still checking this post, but your neighbors are misinformed. Anyone that doesn't like pits has never spent time with pits. Very sad. I've been a certified dog trainer for 11 years and have yet to meet a "bad" pit bull.
Here's a couple articles that may help. Although closed minded souls rarely want to hear the other side of anything. Pit Bulls & Pit mixes are one of my favorite type of dogs. Resilient and cuddly! Even after living in horrible conditions, they just want to be loved by their new family.
Best of luck to you.

Dog Breed Discrimination | Best Friends Animal Society

Pit Bull Monster Myths - The Bully Breeds

Old 04-16-2017, 10:18 PM

9 posts, read 6,286 times
PS - the pits that end up in the news are the ones who are chained in a backyard with no walks, socializing or training. They are working dogs and need long walks and mental stimulation. Along with a loving family. A very small percentage of inbreeding can make for a bad outcome.
It used to be Rottweilers, Doberman and German Shepherds in years past that were the "dangerous dogs".. Whatever the overbred working dog of the decade is, gets into the wrong homes and then the media starts the frenzy. ��

Old 04-28-2017, 02:41 PM

225 posts, read 109,794 times
people are stupid. it's mostly in how a dog is raised and socialized that determines if they grow up to be violent or vicious. pits get a bad name. sorry you got to deal with neighbors like that. makes me feel so fortunate to live out in the country away from people. and what people there are here know to just live and let live

Old 04-29-2017, 07:30 AM

992 posts, read 457,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpuff View Post
people are stupid. it's mostly in how a dog is raised and socialized that determines if they grow up to be violent or vicious. pits get a bad name. sorry you got to deal with neighbors like that. makes me feel so fortunate to live out in the country away from people. and what people there are here know to just live and let live
I envy you for being able t live away from human animals

Old 04-29-2017, 08:29 AM

13,781 posts, read 18,690,385 times
I have neighbors that have pits including a sheriffs deputy and I don't worry about them because the owners are very on top of things concerning their animals . I never have to hear a dog in this neighborhood because when dog starts barking they bring them in and I do as well with my own dogs .You need a sit down and meet and greet with your dog and the neighbors .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs