Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 01:00 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times

Advertisements

For peace of mind for other people and so you don't continue getting harassed, why not put a muzzle on him when you take him outside? Otherwise you'll just end up getting more and more harassed. Just a suggestion...

IMO, you can get all kinds of certificates and take him to many socializing classes, but that won't make a difference for people who are afraid of pitties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 09:55 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
For peace of mind for other people and so you don't continue getting harassed, why not put a muzzle on him when you take him outside? Otherwise you'll just end up getting more and more harassed. Just a suggestion...

IMO, you can get all kinds of certificates and take him to many socializing classes, but that won't make a difference for people who are afraid of pitties.

But once the OP starts muzzling the dog; the dog's already iffy reputation will probably worsen, under the supposition that if the dog is muzzled, it must be a biter. I would only muzzle a dog if I suspected or knew that the dog had nipped (if it was a pit bull, since pit bulls are held to stricter standards than toy poodles) or bitten someone or harmed other dogs, not a dog who had never hurt other dogs or people. And a muzzle can be uncomfortable for a dog on a hot summer day.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:41 PM

103 posts, read 71,909 times
Don't muzzle the dog people will automatically think it's mean. You can thank the msm for thatvrap on pits. There are alot of misconceptions about the breed. Like the pit is one of the higher scoring dogs on the atts test.. It out scores most of the "family" breeds.

I have a pit/ Dobbie mix and a Doberman both love people both are lap dogs. If It was me and there is no bsl or restrictions in your complex kindly tell inform them on the breed

Old 04-29-2017, 10:41 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Bite pressure and locking jaws are two pf the common myths about pit bulls.
You have obviously never been bitten by a pit bull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
A pit shows you who it is right away.
Not the one who bit me. I met the dog with the owner present. He licked my hand, I gently petted him, we were great friends. He ran around the yard while I measured the house, still no problems. As I walked in the front door WITH the owner, he clamped on to my calf with an almost unbelievable amount of pressure, and this was not a large pit bull. The owner quickly tore him off my leg and thanks to thick jeans, he only drew a tiny bit of blood. But some 6 months later, I still have 9 black & blue bite impressions on my calf.

Now, let me state that I am a lover of all dogs (cats too), and I have known and met some of the sweetest pit bulls you could ever hope to meet. If I were the OP's neighbor, I would not be afraid since they are obviously responsible owners. However, I will never go near an unsecured pit bull again. Maybe that's where the saying, "Once bitten, twice shy" comes from.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:57 PM

103 posts, read 71,909 times
The rottweiler and GSD have the strongest bite force other than a African dogs. Pits don't have lock jaws ... yes I've been bitten. Any dog bite hurts lol little dogs worse with there little needle teeth

Makes me wonder what the next "dangerous" breed will be I have a hand full that are way meaner than a pit

Old 06-13-2017, 03:13 PM

731 posts, read 678,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What you are describing isn't irrational. Maybe you wish you didn't fear them but since they have a reputation for a reason and you've witnessed things yourself, it's pretty rational.
No dogs bite- until they do. See Dogsbite.org http://www.dogsbite.org/

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 06-13-2017 at 03:42 PM..

Old 06-13-2017, 03:45 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
See Dogsbite.org http://www.dogsbite.org/
From the website: DogsBite.org is a national dog bite victims' group dedicated to reducing serious dog attacks. We conduct research on the growing, but underreported, public safety issue of severe and fatal dog attacks inflicted by dangerous dog breeds. We champion the rights of victims through our research, education and advocacy.

It's not an objective source. Statistics can be manipulated. Yes pit bulls bite people so do chihuahuas and every other breed of dog. Also any dog that has the smallest resemblance to a pit is classified as a pit bull whether it is one or not. Same for dogs that have any black and tan in them. They're classified as a German shepherd and they may not have a drop of GSD blood in them.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:05 PM

731 posts, read 678,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
From the website: DogsBite.org is a national dog bite victims' group dedicated to reducing serious dog attacks. We conduct research on the growing, but underreported, public safety issue of severe and fatal dog attacks inflicted by dangerous dog breeds. We champion the rights of victims through our research, education and advocacy.

It's not an objective source. Statistics can be manipulated. Yes pit bulls bite people so do chihuahuas and every other breed of dog. Also any dog that has the smallest resemblance to a pit is classified as a pit bull whether it is one or not. Same for dogs that have any black and tan in them. They're classified as a German shepherd and they may not have a drop of GSD blood in them.
These accounts are taken from news articles.I am an ICU nurse from a Level One Trauma Center in Austin, Texas and I have first hand experience in the damage, thank you very much.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:24 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
These accounts are taken from news articles.I am an ICU nurse from a Level One Trauma Center in Austin, Texas and I have first hand experience in the damage, thank you very much.
Yes, my former neighbor, also a nurse, had seen so many pit bull maulings she was terrified of the breed and moved from our neighborhood because of one pit pull across the street.

And those were people being mauled, in dog parks, no breed is more predatory than pits toward other dogs, we see it constantly.

Anyway, back to the OP, not sure if I'm understanding you but isn't your main problem simply that you let your pit bull escape and run free? That's dog ownership 101 and in my opinion, pit bull owners need to be much better and more careful dog owners than those of other breeds. (some other breeds like boxers, alsations, also)

Old 06-23-2017, 04:31 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Yes I totally agree (by the way I do suspect this thread may be locked soon since pit discussions are sort of on the "no no" list) and I will go one further--I think the onus is on pit owners to PROVE (via training documentation etc) that their dog is OK, versus the onus being on everyone else to trust that it's OK.

I'm not sympathetic towards pit owners much in these situations because there are so many other breeds out there to choose from and those breeds don't have the controversy surrounding them. To me no dog is that special, you can just get another one from another breed and fix the problem really easily that way.

It's not like you're on 60 acres all to yourself, you have oodles of people living close by. It's unrealistic to walk around in public with a breed that's so notorious and expect everyone is going to be all honky dory. Those people have a right to feel safe in their own neighborhood, and to me that's more important than someone's right to own a specific breed when there are thousands of other breeds readily available. People's safety and comfort are more important than a breed being "stereotyped" in my view.

That being said, IF the pit owner can have their dog participate in a certification program and they keep the papers handy AND they are respectful towards people who express concerns (although that one person does seem to be going too far I agree) and go out of their way to be responsible and respectful towards concerns expressdled and not become too intense and defensive about it but instead approach it from an angle of respecting one's legitimate concerns, I think at THAT point the concerned person should recognize that such a dog owner is in fact exactly the type of dog owner you'd want as a neighbor and from there relax and not raise such a commotion at that point.
As a Pit owner I appreciate your honest, level headed reply. Let me say as a dog owner that to myself and many other dog owners (regardless of breed or maybe even owning mutts) that one dog is that special, if you're attached to the dog it is similar as having an emotional attachment to a human. The OP gave the dog away once already, so can clearly part with this particular dog. Though with what happened in the new home maybe they are leary in placing the dog again?
As for the Pit Bull breed, for some people they love the breed so not so simply to pick another and this goes the same for owners of other breeds, most other breeds might not have the stats or stigma but how people feel about a breed (or anything they really like) isn't so easy to change. Maybe it is hard to understand if you're not a person who has an affinity for a specific breed. A lot comes with owning a Pit that can be negative so might be easier to change and some people do decide to go with a different breed next time or maybe never get a Pit at all even if they do like them.

I do feel that with the rep you can't expect everyone to love your dog, it's not going to happen. Some feelings are also justified by some people, if they've had negative experience with Pits I don't understand Pit owners I've seen up in arms and hateful. Anyway if you choose to own a Pit you have to accept what negatives you might face. As you said though the neighbor is going a little far here. I believe if the bully owner is being responsible and respectful it should be a non issue. The dog is a house dog and on lead outside. Even if there is some cause for concern because of breed, sometimes people just want an axe to grind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
People can be so ignorant.
Yes, due to stupid people in-breeding pits, some can be a problem (it's why they have a bad reputation) but the majority that I've known personally are lovely animals.

You've done the right thing up to now, reassuring her at first, then ignoring what sounds like hysterics born from ignorance.
Personally, I would've told her to make sure to keep away from the dog because one never knows how any dog will react to hysterical fear, lol (I don't tolerate stupid)

It's definitely harassment. I'd think about introducing your dog to your sensible neighbours so they understand that it's a friendly non-aggressive animal.
Suggestions to get a Canine Good Citizen title might be good insurance that would demonstrate your neighbours overreaction through ignorance to the other residents.
Really
What does inbreeding have to do with being a problem? All breeds were created by inbreeding and breeders continue to breed pure bred (inbred) dogs and of course closer than that with line/inbred matings at times. There are pros and cons and certain risk, etc but what at all does this have to do with Pits specifically?
My oldest Pit I now currently have is 12 years old and is line bred with a COI of 7+%, she is not "a problem". She is not a danger to anyone, she is not wrecking havoc and destruction on the world. I could sit here and ramble off about my dogs so I won't, I will only go with one more, my 6 year old female has a COI of around 13%, I consider her inbred. She is a complete sweetheart, at 6 years old she is like a big, loving puppy, not doing anything to give the breed a bad rap. She loves every person she meets, the vet, techs, assistants, love how small, sweet, cute AND friendly she is. My young children have handled her junior show fun classes.
Pit Bulls have a bad reputation because some have killed people and others have done more damage on average compared to most other breeds, because Pit mixes have done the samw and even dogs that appear similar that attack are often mislabeled as Pits. They have a bad reputation because of owners who have kept and encouraged human aggressive dogs and let them be out of control or intentionally had them attack people. They have a bad reputation because of clueless owners who ignore warning signs that there dog will eventually attack or those who harm other animals because they are allowed to run loose or keep being taken to the dog park until they go from starting fights to killing another dog.

The only unpredictable, problem Pit I ever had that I felt could not be trusted and didn't give signs (this could have been medical related) was mixed up of several lines and nothing close to inbred. If your theory held any water people would get attacked a lot more often if you consider all the intentional line breeding (which also happens in other breeds). Also why would a Pit mix be "a problem", they are about the furthest thing from inbred, yet some have aggression issues.

How do you know those "lovely animals" are not line or inbred? I highly doubt you ask for pedigree or COI info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mustluvdogs View Post
PS - the pits that end up in the news are the ones who are chained in a backyard with no walks, socializing or training. They are working dogs and need long walks and mental stimulation. Along with a loving family. A very small percentage of inbreeding can make for a bad outcome.
It used to be Rottweilers, Doberman and German Shepherds in years past that were the "dangerous dogs".. Whatever the overbred working dog of the decade is, gets into the wrong homes and then the media starts the frenzy. ��
The Pits that end up negatively in the media are the ones that bite or attack people or other animals, irregardless of their living situation. The OP owns a Bully, that breed made headlines when one killed a little girl he was raised with and other owners came forward about aggression issues of dogs from a particular stud. One owners dog he raised as a pet attacked him. 1000s of Pits are raised on chains in sad situations, but remain friendly, social dogs, just as those raised in a house and socialized have bit people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs