Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:54 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter which you do or when, you will second guess yourself for a period. I am going through this right now. We just had our 12 year old boxer put down 2 days ago. I'm second guessing our timing. I regretted not putting our first boxer down before he died in our arms naturally.

IMO, you have been an outstanding owner and that dog loves you no matter what you decide. Personally, I would do it and just deal with the inevitable pain. Good luck either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 08:25 AM

910 posts, read 2,330,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
It doesn't matter which you do or when, you will second guess yourself for a period. I am going through this right now. We just had our 12 year old boxer put down 2 days ago. I'm second guessing our timing. I regretted not putting our first boxer down before he died in our arms naturally.

IMO, you have been an outstanding owner and that dog loves you no matter what you decide. Personally, I would do it and just deal with the inevitable pain. Good luck either way.
My wife and I always second guessed ourselves for putting our first one to sleep. I asked for the professional opinion from another vet, as we refused to go back to the one who's staff neglected her when she was boarded, and she said if it were her pet she would end her suffering. But then we were thinking why didn't we just put the money in to have her kidneys flushed and have her rehydrated? But the vet said we may get anywhere from another 2 days or 2 weeks, and she may pass away under their care versus in our arms. Though this dog, even though blind for 10 of her 17 years, has been very resilient which is why we second guessed ourselves. She also had a problem supporting herself with all four legs as well as breathing, which was obstructed in her nose. All these problems came about just because we boarded her for a week. Just typing this makes me feel bad that maybe if she were under better care while we were out of town, she would still be with us. My wife wrote a scathing letter to the vet office that neglected her, put the blame solely on them though I believe we were partially if not fully responsible for dropping her off there in the first place, where she had good care the past 2-3 years. Again, suing them will not bring her back and will only prolong the pain. I only take solace in the fact we ended her suffering and she went to sleep in our arms knowing we loved her, but we were also very sorry to her for what she went through and we tried our best to tell her that while she was in our arms while the vet administered the injection.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:06 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
First off let me say thank you on his behalf for being unselfish and never giving up on him! You took him in when no one else could/should, sounds like he was meant to be part of your family.

I won't say it's time, although I had to do the very same thing just back in October, only Carly's was sudden when she started having seizures out of the blue, after the grand mal she never bounced back. I had to let her go with the little dignity she still had.

Human nature has taught me that once we start questioning if it's time, we're pretty certain it is. We ask, because once again human nature we want affirmation. Seriously, it's life and death, why wouldn't we want it reaffirmed?

Whatever you and your family choose, I hope that your hearts find comfort soon.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:40 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
We took our 16 year old beloved pooch on a 2 month long road trip last year because neither of us could face the thought of not "trying" to take her for this one last trip. (she loved car rides) It wasn't fair to her. She went downhill fast.

She only made it 10 days into the trip and we so sadly had to put her down. At least we were able to have her cremated and have her ashes at home with us. I guess all we can say is that we tried, but was "trying" the right thing for her?

In hindsight, putting her down before the trip would have been the right choice for her and for us, but mainly for HER. It's a crappy decision to make and my heart goes out to you OP.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:53 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Unhappy *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVImports
So this is the toughest decision I've maybe ever had to make in my adult life. It's getting close to the end of a long road. I adopted my Pit Bull, Kaiser, from the Animal Rescue League in Boston, MA
Ahhhhhhhhh he is lucky you came into his life!!!!

Im so sorry to hear he is struggling so much........ I dunno what really to say..... Any chance on him getting better?

If not then YES it may be time

IM SO SORRY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs