U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 07:55 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,199,642 times

Advertisements

Can your dog see outside or is the window level above his eyes?

You know people get car sick if they can't see outside or focus on things inside like reading a book.

Experiencing motion without seeing motion creates a disparity between motion sensors and visual sense. The disparity can lead to motion sickness in humans, and I suspect in dogs too.

I have a SUV and leave the back seats folded down so my dog has the whole back of the SUV to roam around in and look out the windows. He has never been car sick.

Well he died last year at 19 years old but this is 18 years of him going everywhere with me including camping. It never ceased to amaze me how he seemed to enjoy watching the scenery pass by as much as I did--except for his occasional naps. That dog really enjoyed camping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 08:09 PM

965 posts, read 499,441 times
One of my dogs starting at 10 weeks (when I got him) was car sick even just half a mile.

Oh and the mess he and the crate were when I had him crated was even worse! Gag I'd rather throw away sheets, than clean up a dog and crate after a raw fed barf.
I'm not advocating NOT crating in the car, of course I believe in crating for safety, and I did try it with him...

I started putting him in the car with me and drove down my drive way to pick up mail, every day. He didn't have a chance to even start the drool so he started to enjoy that. And eventually he loved it.

Then we started to drive a mile and a half to a place where he was able to free run daily with his best dog buddy. I had to drive due to time over lunch, and stray dogs on the route, and it just magically disappeared. of course psychologically it did not just disappear, he had a focus, and just a short drive.

It didn't take long before he started to launch himself into the car, and never even acknowledged carsickness. He eventually could go about half an hour, longer if we were stopping, or not on winding, or rough roads. I could see him starting to look glazed, and so i knew it was still there.

So, on longer trips I didn't want to take a chance so gave him Dramamine before we left, and sometimes a baby benedryl dose. And on 8 hour trips or longer I made sure to give him his second dose in time. After giving him the meds I had to make sure his harness was tight, and tied to the back, because when he got woozy from the meds he wanted to be on my lap!

It worked, and he didn't throw up again after I started medicating him.
Oh, and though he was not introduced to a car properly, and/or at the right age (the only time he was in car before that was to a vet). He stilled loved going to the vet! All my dogs love the vet. He just got carsick.

Last edited by simplepeace; 03-28-2017 at 08:54 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 08:11 PM

965 posts, read 499,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Heck we took teen son on a boat to shark dive and he puked.
Yep! I still get carsick if I try to read in the car, and it comes on fast!

Old 03-28-2017, 08:30 PM

31,269 posts, read 19,739,850 times
Tried all different spots in the car. My lap (his choice not mine), passenger side, back of SUV, windows up and down, AC full blast.... lying, standing, sitting....

I think the micro trips to the mail box is a great idea. He will be fully immunized in a week, so I can try for places like Petco and the dog park where his excitement might be stronger than the motion sickness.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 04-03-2017, 09:56 AM

142 posts, read 73,327 times
I think it's very common for puppies to get car sick. If you search google this is the first result, and I tend to think it's probably accurate. "Just as children are more likely to get car sick than adults, puppies and younger dogs are also more susceptible. This is probably because the structure inside the ears responsible for balance isn't yet fully developed." I went through this with my pup too. I'm not sure how long it lasted, but I would estimate that she grew out of it somewhere between 6-9 months. Just like your situation, it would happen within the first couple miles. I always have her in the crate in the car, which made for a much easier cleanup. Usually she would only throw up once, then she'd be good for the rest of the trip. Making sure she had an empty stomach helped somewhat as well.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:17 AM

2,135 posts, read 1,308,201 times
I got my mini poodle when he was 3 months old. He would get carsick if we drove 20 minutes or more. Let him ride loose in the back seat and he preferred sitting or laying on the floor. At some point (can't remember what age) he outgrew it and would sit on the seat. Eventually he got brave enough to stand up against the side window of the car to watch the world go by.

I also noticed that the puppy food seemed to stay in his stomach for hours and hours, until he threw it up in the car. Don't know if he wasn't digesting or if the particular food was just too dense to break down in the stomach.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:23 AM

5,695 posts, read 4,119,924 times
We got our toy poodle when she was 6 months old. She'd only ridden in a vehicle to the vet and back with the breeders. She was sitting on my lap as we drove home. She leaned over and unceremoniously puked all kinds of lovely things directly into my purse that was on the floor below me. UGH!

We crated her for a few months until she got over being car-sick. We'd lay lots of layers of news papers in the crate and yank out a few layers whenever she got sick. We also put baby bibs on her neck because she drooled yucky stuff all down her chest and legs.

I have to note that after she finally got over being car-sick, she simply LOVED to go for a ride. When we headed off to go camping, in the back seat of our truck I'd mound up a laundry basket with groceries and other stuff, and then laid a blanket on top of it. That was her perch to watch the world go by like an elegant queen

Old 04-05-2017, 08:28 PM

4,704 posts, read 10,124,181 times
Dazzle use to get sick in the car and vomit and drool big time .He really did not like car rides at first.He was 8 months old and his breeder drove him from Washington to San Francisco to meet me at the home of a fellow breeder who was her friend. I had driven up from Santa Barbara and was staying with a friend in the bay area.

His breeder said he had been car sick most of the trip😯.The short trip back to my friends house had him crying and he vomited.The next day I drove him home and stopped several times to give him a break yet in the 6 hr drive he vomited several times and was covered I drool.

For the next few weeks he continued to be very stressed about car rides and continued to vomit on the short trips I took him and my other two dogs on and we were going fun places that he enjoyed. I decided on not giving him breakfast if we were going in the car and that helped .Soon he was not vomiting and was much more relaxed in the car and was even able to take a trip to Oregon with me.

He did get to the point where he could eat his breakfast and ride in the car without getting sick and once he reached that point he never got sick in the car again and enjoys the car. No more drooling episodes either.

I would try with holding food and water for a few hours prior to car rides and see how he does. Good luck.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:01 PM

31,269 posts, read 19,739,850 times
Thanks! I'm doing short (2 mile max) trips and in the best case scenario I am covered in dog drool.

But we have made one trip without vomit.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 04-06-2017, 07:22 AM

1,912 posts, read 986,022 times
I used Dramamine too for my dog. I actually did feed her a little before a trip. The only thing I disagree with in these posts is to have the dog's stomach empty. I get sick on boats and having a little something in my stomach actually helps-- it's much worse on an empty stomach. Google articles on motion sickness and they all say to eat something. There might be a smaller mess if you do gag, but you feel worse and are more likely to vomit with an empty stomach. So I figured it might be the same for a dog. It's always small amount of food and bland though. Nothing fatty or rich and just a little bit so the stomach isn't completely empty. I used to give two or three plain, unsalted crackers to my dog.

Like others said, after she got older, she no longer needed it the Dramamine. So hopefully yours will outgrow it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs