U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 04:18 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,090,554 times

Advertisements

I use florida green once every 6 to 8 weeks.
Cody doesn't go on the lawn 4 a week
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 05:26 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,766,203 times
Gardens Alive! I used Gardens Alive products in my rear fenced yard where my dog roamed and I used Scotts on the front lawn. After a few years the rear lawn looked better than the Scotts. During one summer we had a drought and the front lawn dried up but the rear rear managed to stay green. Not only was the natural organic products better for my best friend it was also great for the lawn itself.
Don

Old 03-06-2008, 07:17 PM

13,154 posts, read 15,825,339 times
Default Small world, especially here in CD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Oh by the way, I lived in Laconia NH for more than 24 years.
We lived in SNH for 30+ years but spent a lot of time on the big lakes - the two Winnis! Small world, isn't it.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:43 PM

8,204 posts, read 30,478,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

I'm going to look into the Safer products (I thought milorganite was a plant food?). Last week's radio gardening show said to use milorganite for flowering shrubs.
Milorganite is a slow-release, iron-rich fertilizer that is used for lawn, shrubs, whatever. It's the only fertilizer I use on my lawn and I don't use anything for weeds except hand-pulling or a spot spray for tough ones.

What I like about Milorganite is that it can't burn the lawn and you don't even have to water it in if you don't feel like it, it's considered very safe.

BUT......someone on the gardening forum here on CD said it is banned in their state and that it is not safe. I know Milorganite is derived from sewage sludge, but it's supposed to be relatively "organic" and gentler than regular chemical fertilizers. If states are banning it though, then I need to check into it more. But it does work really well.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:17 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,090,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Those are good suggestions. I'm glad to see you are managing so well. Thanks, all. I gave reps where the system would allow me. Sorry, riveree, it's your system and I've tied to overuse it for you!

I admire you, Elston, for doing all that work on your hands and knees. I could do smaller areas (I think), but if I tried to do that on our yard, you'd have to bury me out there. I'd never be able to get up again. Too much area to cover. (see photo - and that's only half the yard!)

Riveree, I'm familiar with Gardens Alive. It's an excellent place. In fact, our vet in our former home state was very organically/holistically minded and was using nematodes from Gardens Alive for his yard. We were going to do the same at one point, but then I was reading something negative about nematodes - never really found out what the issue is with them, and we haven't tried them. They're supposed to cut down on ticks, I think. We don't have a huge problem with ticks here, though we did when we had a wooded lot.

I'm going to look into the Safer products (I thought milorganite was a plant food?). Last week's radio gardening show said to use milorganite for flowering shrubs.
after I saw your backyard picture I told my husband our yards small ....beautiful lawn SB! he said Im wrong and those are just really small dogs hahah!

Old 03-08-2008, 08:19 PM

13,154 posts, read 15,825,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
after I saw your backyard picture I told my husband our yards small ....beautiful lawn SB! he said Im wrong and those are just really small dogs hahah!
Now, *that* is just too funny!

(that was last summer, and now it'snot much of a lawn -- the weeds are taking over and the only thing that's good about it is that they are green also!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs