U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2017, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Canada
1,400 posts, read 838,508 times
Reputation: 4448

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpuff View Post
Forgive me, but I don't understand how people can crate their dogs for hours on end. Seems cruel to me. I have a 6 month old dog and he goes EVERYWHERE with me....or he will stay in the truck while I run in to the grocery store, library, whatever. If you have to be gone for the day due to work/whatever, at least have your dog hooked up to a lead line on a run outside where there is some shade or enclosed in a fenced in yard. How would you like to be confined to a cell half the day?
Not everyone can take their dog with them absolutely everywhere. Where I live, it's against the law to leave a dog in any vehicle. (With good reason...there have been several cases of people leaving their dogs in cars in the summertime "just for a minute" only to come back and discover that either someone broke into their vehicle to rescue an overheated pet, with police waiting to arrest the owner, or - in a couple of cases - they came back to a dead dog.) Nor can you take a dog into any public building here, unless it happens to be a service dog. Even outdoor cafes don't allow people to tie their dogs up on the patio if the owner wants to sit down out there for lunch or a drink. This leaves very little room to bring one's dog with them when they run around to do errands.

A dog who is properly introduced to crating and is shown that it can be a place of comfort while the owner is away will be fine; often, those dogs who later have the option of no longer using a crate will still head to theirs to lie down in and sleep...they find it a source of security. If a dog is suddenly thrust into a crate and left there without first conditioning, then the likelihood of the animal not having a good experience is pretty high. A dog who has been appropriately exercised, fed, bowels relieved, is introduced to a crate properly, and is given lots of exercise, etc. once out of the crate, will usually thrive.

Leaving a dog outside tethered to a line is not only illegal here, it can be dangerous. There have been dogs who managed to get themselves wound up in the line while the owner was away and choked to death. If one was going to keep a dog outdoors while they're away from the house, at least provide an appropriate run with shade and water. This too, depends upon location; if one lives in an arid, extreme heat area, simple shade isn't going to be nearly enough to keep the dog safe. And again, it depends upon the dog; some dogs don't do well left alone to roam about in an open space. E.G., leaving some dogs outdoors can also prove to be more torturous than one who is provided for safely indoors. My dog, who is a high-strung breed, would become more fearful if left alone in my backyard. He freaks at sudden bangs and noises, doesn't deal well with 'the unknown', and he doesn't like to be left alone in a large, open area for any long period of time...it's the nature of his breed. When he was a pup he found the crate to be a good source of comfort and security. As an adult he no longer uses his crate, but does stay in the house on his own while I'm at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2017, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Idaho
2,512 posts, read 2,252,244 times
Reputation: 5256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
Not everyone can take their dog with them absolutely everywhere. Where I live, it's against the law to leave a dog in any vehicle. (With good reason...there have been several cases of people leaving their dogs in cars in the summertime "just for a minute" only to come back and discover that either someone broke into their vehicle to rescue an overheated pet, with police waiting to arrest the owner, or - in a couple of cases - they came back to a dead dog.) Nor can you take a dog into any public building here, unless it happens to be a service dog. Even outdoor cafes don't allow people to tie their dogs up on the patio if the owner wants to sit down out there for lunch or a drink. This leaves very little room to bring one's dog with them when they run around to do errands.

A dog who is properly introduced to crating and is shown that it can be a place of comfort while the owner is away will be fine; often, those dogs who later have the option of no longer using a crate will still head to theirs to lie down in and sleep...they find it a source of security. If a dog is suddenly thrust into a crate and left there without first conditioning, then the likelihood of the animal not having a good experience is pretty high. A dog who has been appropriately exercised, fed, bowels relieved, is introduced to a crate properly, and is given lots of exercise, etc. once out of the crate, will usually thrive.

Leaving a dog outside tethered to a line is not only illegal here, it can be dangerous. There have been dogs who managed to get themselves wound up in the line while the owner was away and choked to death. If one was going to keep a dog outdoors while they're away from the house, at least provide an appropriate run with shade and water. This too, depends upon location; if one lives in an arid, extreme heat area, simple shade isn't going to be nearly enough to keep the dog safe. And again, it depends upon the dog; some dogs don't do well left alone to roam about in an open space. E.G., leaving some dogs outdoors can also prove to be more torturous than one who is provided for safely indoors. My dog, who is a high-strung breed, would become more fearful if left alone in my backyard. He freaks at sudden bangs and noises, doesn't deal well with 'the unknown', and he doesn't like to be left alone in a large, open area for any long period of time...it's the nature of his breed. When he was a pup he found the crate to be a good source of comfort and security. As an adult he no longer uses his crate, but does stay in the house on his own while I'm at work.
Very good explanation on dogs and crating.

But is it Canada or a province that says a dog can NEVER be left in a car? That sure would be a tough one for many people I now who are single (including myself), and take their dogs on trips and need to run into a rest area for five minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2017, 12:45 PM
 
12,386 posts, read 7,447,004 times
Reputation: 23220
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
But is it Canada or a province that says a dog can NEVER be left in a car? That sure would be a tough one for many people I now who are single (including myself), and take their dogs on trips and need to run into a rest area for five minutes.
A lot of states also have laws against leaving animals unattended in a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2017, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Idaho
2,512 posts, read 2,252,244 times
Reputation: 5256
I was asking about Canada or a local provincial law; I know about the US states. Guess I'll just pull up Canadian and provincial laws to get a better understanding.

I have never seen a state that had a law against leaving a dog in the car without using words such as "extreme hot and/or cold," "adverse conditions," "endangering the health," "safety," etc., in the actual statute.

I travel alone with two dogs in the summer and at times I have to leave them in the vehicle for about five minutes while running into a rest area. At no times are they ever in danger nor are they ever in distress when I return to the vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2017, 08:42 AM
 
4,508 posts, read 2,106,588 times
Reputation: 9518
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpuff View Post
Forgive me, but I don't understand how people can crate their dogs for hours on end. Seems cruel to me. I have a 6 month old dog and he goes EVERYWHERE with me....or he will stay in the truck while I run in to the grocery store, library, whatever. If you have to be gone for the day due to work/whatever, at least have your dog hooked up to a lead line on a run outside where there is some shade or enclosed in a fenced in yard. How would you like to be confined to a cell half the day?
YOu likely stay confined to a "cell" (your bed) all night. If the crate is large enough, it's to a dog pretty much the same as a private bedroom is to a teenager. My dogs have gone into their crates without being told just for some quiet time or a nap. When I wanted a dog in a crate, all I had to say was, "Crate, crate, crate," and they ran into their crate, wiggled their butts down into their blankies, and everybody was happy.


Now I have an only dog and I don't even own a crate, but dogs don't mind crates at all, in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2017, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Ohio
5,626 posts, read 5,027,021 times
Reputation: 6765
nope. we just leave them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:32 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top