Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 02:59 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,323,445 times

Advertisements

Someone needs to design and sell a municipal system for this. 24-7 these dogs never stop. 3 houses just in my very immediate area. All windows and doors closed, box fan on for noise, can't drown them out.

I'm ok with my taxes paying for this. They already pay for city police judges etc that do nothing. Let's actually fix the problem.

Are most city dog owners these days mentally ill? Serious question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 04:31 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,289,075 times
Time to take videos, and call animal control. To put in anti bark units not only discourages dogs for barking for real reasons, but also affects other wildlife. ( birds etc. )

Old 03-29-2017, 05:19 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,973,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Someone needs to design and sell a municipal system for this. 24-7 these dogs never stop. 3 houses just in my very immediate area. All windows and doors closed, box fan on for noise, can't drown them out.

I'm ok with my taxes paying for this. They already pay for city police judges etc that do nothing. Let's actually fix the problem.

Are most city dog owners these days mentally ill? Serious question.
Good grief. You can't be serious. You want the city to install devices that would affect ALL dogs, not just the small minority that are barking a lot. I say "a lot" because while I am sure it is annoying, I seriously doubt it is 24-7.

BTW, the way to "fix" the problem is to educate the public on responsible pet ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Time to take videos, and call animal control. To put in anti bark units not only discourages dogs for barking for real reasons, but also affects other wildlife. ( birds etc. )
Yes, and agree, you need to call animal control.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:53 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,996,003 times
You know that will never happen. Also note that the ultrasonics would be harmful to neighborhood cats who for the most part are silent creatures except in heat or fights. I've never found that to be a common or often problem. I'll be the first to admit I have a dislike for cats (oddly, cats like me) but they are living creatures who mostly do you no harm.

And about dogs, even if the ultrasonics work, how about Fido who just wants to go in the back yard and do his business? How would you like it if every time you went to the bathroom somebody played rap music at ear shattering levels while you are trying to accomplish your bodily functions? This would harm dogs that are not any noise nuisance.

The real problem in my opinion is that there are too many people who think of their dogs as objects or possessions, not as family. Some people like owning aggressive dogs because it's machismo, some people treat dogs like a motorcycle, to be taken out when they are interested or otherwise stored out of sight (in their back yard) and never mind if they annoy the neighbors.

Myself, my dog is my family. He's gone now but he never barked much, and only when provoked (people walking their dogs nearby, and he really hated squirrels!). But I was there and after a few minutes of barking I called him, back to my side where he belonged. I would never let a dog sleep outside at night. The only right place was curled up next to me in bed, or on the couch if he wanted.

He sometimes wanted one, sometimes wanted the other. I always let him choose. Sometimes he'd go to sleep on my bed and I'd wake in the morning to find him in the LR on the couch.

The problem is objectification of your pet (dog) as an object not a family member, and that may extend to objectification of your neighbors as people you could care less about, not as part of your community.

Unfortunately you cannot change human nature, and it is not uncommon for thoughtless people to treat both their dogs and their neighbors poorly, they have no consideration, they are impolite people.

And how many people are impolite? Sadly, way too many.

You are like me if your dog is a 4-footed family member. You are opposite me if your dog is just another toy to play with when interested, and ignored the rest of the time.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:56 AM

910 posts, read 2,317,124 times
Are these anti-barking devices effective training tools to curtail excessive barking? I would imagine they are considered more humane than a shock collar.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:20 PM

32,502 posts, read 47,489,547 times
I also dislike people who allow their dogs to bark non-stop.

I suggest that you buy one of those devices yourself, OP, and point it at the neighbor's house.

It would not work for the city to place them city wide, for several reasons. The best reason is that they only work on some dogs and do not not on others.

Another reason is that they make some dogs go insane and develop mental health issues. Believe me, I'd be suing the city for big money of they destroyed my non-barking dog's mind.

They only work as a quick punishment for barking. Bark, zap, bark zap, If they play all the time, they don't teach a dog anything; they are simply a painful constant annoyance. If there is no cause and effect, no dog will learn to stop barking. He stops barking, the noise continues, so the dog learns that barking has nothing to do with it and no reason to stop barking.

Many dogs do not bark, or else bark very briefly and then stop. Those dogs would be punished non-stop.

Some dogs howl from the pain in their ears. Want to trade barking dogs for howling dogs?

If they did work on all dogs (which they don't) I can't even imagine the lawsuit if the city trained all dogs to not bark and a home invader walked past a silent dog to murder a family , because the dog could not wake them up and warn them

Old 03-30-2017, 07:16 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,996,003 times
This is really a stupid idea.

https://www.aspca.org/animal-homeles...pet-statistics

"It's estimated that 78 million dogs and 85.8 million cats are owned in the United States. Approximately 44% of all households in the United States have a dog, and 35% have a cat."

Do you really think your city will install animal annoying devices city wide with such a high percentage of city residents being pet owners?

It's laughable that if it became known the city had planned to spend taxpayer money on such a plan that the citizens would be up in arms and marching in the streets!

Give up OP. Your idea is stupid beyond all imagination.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:01 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,472,453 times
For sleeping, those orange earplugs from 3M are amazing.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:01 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,289,075 times
At the risk of continuing from the trolling rant about barking dogs from the original post, but I would also wonder :

1. Why are the dogs barking? ( alone, scared, cold, wet, thristy...).
** all these items can be determined by Animal Control **

2. Is there a noise ordinance ?
** Item can be determined by Animal Control

3. Are the dogs licensed? ( up to date on vaccines as well.. well and healthy)
** Item can be determined by Animal Control.

4. Are the dogs abandoned etc...
** Item can be determined by calling Animal control....

Bottom line- would call animal control.... for " your own peaceful enjoyment of your property", and " health and welfare of said dogs....

Old 03-30-2017, 08:09 PM

11,115 posts, read 7,851,352 times
Freedom of bark.... dog lives matter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs