U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 10:20 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,492,838 times

Advertisements

Too often "rescue" means every feral cat or stray dog in the neighborhood that comes to their place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 12:23 PM

1,403 posts, read 841,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
I was curious if other cities have ordinances like ours. I was all set to move, did my research, hadn't checked the HOA deed restrictions yet but visited the city pages quite a few times. It wasn't until I visited the animal control page and clicked on a link that I was able to view all the city ordinances. I was shocked, not surprised on some things but what I read made me forget moving into this city limits.

Limit of 3 pets total (Dogs or cats and any combo = 3)
All pets must be UTD on rabies, registered with the city animal control, and always wear collars and tags
The only time pets can run free is on your own property
Having unregistered or more pets in your home is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be fined
If an unlicensed or unvaccinated dog or cat that the police or animal control says needs to be impounded and the owner doesn't comply is guilty of a misdemeanor and fined.

The pound associated with this city doesn't adopt out. The owner has 3 days to reclaim their pet.

The animal control rep and police can enter your home at any time to check on your pets.

Then there is a noise ordinance. Let me cut and paste because they say it better than I can.

Unreasonably noisy animals
(a) It is unlawful and declared a nuisance for any owner or person in control of an animal to allow the animal to bark, growl, howl, whine or make any other sound loud and long enough to unreasonably disturb the peace of other people on the same, adjoining or nearby property.
(b) Prior to filing a complaint with the city, the person having been disturbed by an animal must give written notice to the owner of the animal that the animal’s conduct has disturbed his peace on more than one occasion. A copy of the written notice must be presented to the city at the time of filing the complaint.

Now this noise ordinance was put in a year ago. I understand it, I know how annoying some dogs can be. But to me this sounds like they're not letting dogs be dogs. Isn't that their purpose, to bark at intruders? Suspicious activity?

No, I'm not moving there. I'm glad I found out in time. I even called a vet that I used before and is in those city limits and she didn't have much to say. ??

I'm wondering if other cities are like this.
Some of what you wrote is similar to where I live. However, in my city the humane society does not (thankfully) have a 3-day limit on claiming an animal; they hold strays for as long as they possibly can, and will also foster out strays to give them a chance.

But yes, there is a noise ordinance here. If a dog is barking non-stop for over 15 minutes (I think it's that long...there is a minimum amount of time the dog can bark before a complaint can be filed; otherwise, someone could complain every time a dog woofed more than once), the owner can be fined. This is to prevent not only disturbing neighbours, but to try and stop those who insist on tying dogs outside, unattended, and simply leaving them there. For a couple of years there was someone in an apartment complex behind me who would do this; they'd tie the dog outside in the back and leave him there for hours on end, barking and crying (I wasn't aware of this until neighbours told me about it, since I was usually at work when it took place). That poor dog...finally someone intervened. Needless to say, I have no problems with this rule.

However, no interaction is required by whoever is bothered by a dog's barking here; they simply call by-law police when it's taking place and ask them to take care of it. All complaints are anonymous (but must be proven by bylaw to be enforced). This makes sense considering the consequences that could potentially take place if one person was confronting another on their own.

Animal control and police have no jurisdiction here in entering a home to check on the number of pets simply because they feel like it; BUT...if someone registers a complaint, they are allowed to investigate. Case in point: Several years ago a quiet, elderly gentleman who had no family, no friends, only his dogs, had 4 dachshunds as pets. He had them for several years; they were quiet, well-mannered, and to him they were his family...until one day when a vindictive neighbour (obviously with nothing better to do) registered a complaint with the city that the man was breaking the law. Here, you can have up to three pets, and this gentleman had four. The result? He was forced to give up one of his dogs. How heartbreaking would that be, having to choose to get rid of one of his dogs, all of whom he had since they were pups, simply because a neighbour decided to be a pr**k?? Yes, technically he was breaking the law...and yet, when I had a neighbour years ago who kept his beautiful dog confined to a 6-ft chain in his yard for it's entire life, only tossing him food and water once a day, no interaction with him whatsoever...he was within the by-law's boundaries and the dog was allowed to suffer for its entire life.

Here, you cannot let a dog run free unless it's (a) on your property, and only if it's fully fenced; or (b) in a designated dog park...which are very few and far between. And if you're like me and have a reactive dog, dog parks are out of the question anyway. Cats are not allowed to roam outdoors, even if it's on your own property.

Pets must be up to date on their vaccines and have tags to prove it; otherwise the owner could face a serious fine.

Oh, and here's one more thing: This doesn't apply to my area (it was outlawed many years ago), but my son and his girlfriend (who own two very spoiled, loving cats) are going to be moving to the west coast at the end of the summer so she can continue her education. The problem: The area they are moving to does not have any restrictions on landlords saying 'no pets', and from what I've read, around 80-90% of all landlords state 'no pets' outright in their leases. So for them to find an affordable place to live that will accept their cats is going to be an extremely tough challenge.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:28 PM

12,412 posts, read 7,462,704 times
Quote:
Now this noise ordinance was put in a year ago. I understand it, I know how annoying some dogs can be. But to me this sounds like they're not letting dogs be dogs. Isn't that their purpose, to bark at intruders? Suspicious activity?
The ordinance does not say the dog cannot ever bark, just that they cannot bark for an unreasonable amount of time. If the dog is barking all day everyday day, that is not just barking at an intruder. The ordinance is usually more for those who leave their dog outside all day, and the bored dog just sits there and barks. Its annoying to neighbors and has nothing to do with not letting a dog be a dog.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:39 PM

1,705 posts, read 873,163 times
Here are the ordinances for the City of Katy in Texas. (So you can see where I'm getting my information)

z2Browser2 Web Application Starter Project

Under 'Animal Control' here is the part about open access to your property:

Sec. 2.03.006 Obstructing enforcement
The city animal control officer, his deputies and city police officers on duty shall have the right at any reasonable time to inspect any dog or cat to determine if said dog or cat is licensed and vaccinated as required by this article and shall have the authority to enter any premises for such purpose. It shall be unlawful for any person to refuse entrance to such city animal control officer, his deputies or city police officers on duty or to impede, obstruct or exclude such city animal control officer, his deputies or city police officers on duty when attempting to enter such premises for the purpose of inspecting such dog or cat, and any person who shall refuse entrance or impede or obstruct such city animal control officer, his deputies or city police officers on duty shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be fined as mentioned above. (1999 Code, sec. 2.222(d))

Old 04-03-2017, 06:48 PM

1,705 posts, read 873,163 times
I have a great Pyrenees. Her breed guards and they do so by barking. They are known to bark and hers is deep and she growls as well as barks. As I am home to monitor her and let her in and out, it's not a problem. I'm on friendly terms with my neighbors and have told them that whenever our girl is getting on their nerves to let us know. One has gotten back with me but she's pregnant with twins and has 3 young kids. . .

If a neighbor complained and those Animal Control reps come to my door, they'd see my five pets instead of 3 even if they are all altered, UTD on shots, but only 3 registered. They have the authority to take two of my pets and I can't do a thing about it. I can't live someplace with that hanging over my head.

Going into a new area I like to know what I'm getting into and this was an eye opener. I even called a vet within this city limits and the lady wasn't much help. You'd think they'd put something on their web page about city ordinances dealing with pets to let their clients be aware.

I have 3 ragdolls, paid a small fortune for each one and there's no way they're going elsewhere. Just saying.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:04 PM

42,753 posts, read 41,458,983 times
Quote:
I have a great Pyrenees. Her breed guards and they do so by barking. They are known to bark and hers is deep and she growls as well as barks. As I am home to monitor her and let her in and out, it's not a problem. I'm on friendly terms with my neighbors and have told them that whenever our girl is getting on their nerves to let us know. One has gotten back with me but she's pregnant with twins and has 3 young kids. . .

If a neighbor complained and those Animal Control reps come to my door, they'd see my five pets instead of 3 even if they are all altered, UTD on shots, but only 3 registered. They have the authority to take two of my pets and I can't do a thing about it. I can't live someplace with that hanging over my head.

Going into a new area I like to know what I'm getting into and this was an eye opener. I even called a vet within this city limits and the lady wasn't much help. You'd think they'd put something on their web page about city ordinances dealing with pets to let their clients be aware.

I have 3 ragdolls, paid a small fortune for each one and there's no way they're going elsewhere. Just saying.
Not every place is right for every person. \_(ツ)_/

Now you know. The onus is on us as pet owners to seek out and learn the local ordinances related to animals. It's just part of being a responsible pet owner.

In my experience, animal control officers are overworked anyway and won't be going door to door like the gestapo, checking pets. They usually only respond to calls from "concerned citizens," so yes, if one of your neighbors noticed that you had more than the allowable number and called, the officer could check your property.

I, for one, appreciate strict animal control laws for people's sake AND for the animals' sake. It's meant to prevent out-of-control situations like hoarding and puppy mills as well as to protect the quality of life for people who live close to each other.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:07 PM

7,070 posts, read 4,101,010 times
The rules are pretty typical though. You want more than a couple dogs then you're going to want to look at places outside city limits.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:14 PM

12,412 posts, read 7,462,704 times
Quote:
I have a great Pyrenees. Her breed guards and they do so by barking. They are known to bark and hers is deep and she growls as well as barks. As I am home to monitor her and let her in and out, it's not a problem. I'm on friendly terms with my neighbors and have told them that whenever our girl is getting on their nerves to let us know.
Is your dog constantly having to defend your home from intruders? If not, she shouldn't be barking enough to become a nuissance to neighbors.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:11 PM

9,217 posts, read 11,703,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
How does one restrict a cat to thier yard?
You don;t let them wonder freely outside without your supervision. If that means leashing them like a dog, so be it. If that means erecting a cat limiting barrier, so be it. If that means keeping it indoors, so be it.

I live in an area where county law looks the other way if a person treats a cat on their property like any other nuisance creature. As a result, when you let your cat outside and allow it off your property, you must be willing to accept that in the eyes of others, it's just a squirrel or gopher. The only requirement is any action must be humane and if a collar is attached, you must try to capture or call Animal Control before taking drastic actions. It's just the responsibility a person has to accept for being a responsible pet owner. You wouldn't let your dog or kids freely roam anywhere the please throughout the neighborhood, so the county feels cats are no different.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:28 AM

5,577 posts, read 7,481,399 times
Quote:
Here are the ordinances for the City of Katy in Texas. (So you can see where I'm getting my information)

z2Browser2 Web Application Starter Project

Under 'Animal Control' here is the part about open access to your property:

Sec. 2.03.006 Obstructing enforcement
The city animal control officer, his deputies and city police officers on duty shall have the right at any reasonable time to inspect any dog or cat to determine if said dog or cat is licensed and vaccinated as required by this article and shall have the authority to enter any premises for such purpose. It shall be unlawful for any person to refuse entrance to such city animal control officer, his deputies or city police officers on duty or to impede, obstruct or exclude such city animal control officer, his deputies or city police officers on duty when attempting to enter such premises for the purpose of inspecting such dog or cat, and any person who shall refuse entrance or impede or obstruct such city animal control officer, his deputies or city police officers on duty shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be fined as mentioned above. (1999 Code, sec. 2.222(d))
The actions described above would require a search warrant, and no court in the land would allow intrusion into one's property by LE, without a warrant.

I think the officials in that city need to take a class in constitutional law.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs