U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 06:52 AM

5,626 posts, read 5,028,701 times

Advertisements

Back in 2015, our Lab started having seizures. Just about every day. We took her to the vet back then and he said walk her more and switch her food (switched from Ol Roy to Blue Buffalo). Done and the seizures were completely gone.
Fast forward to Saturday. We took all the dogs to the dogpark for about an hour and when we came home she had a seizure. At first we thought it was because of all the fun she had and said no more dog park then!

Until today when she had another.

She is going to the vet this afternoon ( a new vet). The old one never ran any tests or did anything so what can ( or should) I expect? Does anyone else have a dog that has them?

The seizures-
Her back legs sort of give out and she shakes, dazed look. Last about a minute. Shes 110% tired for the rest of the day after. During them, we hold her and just give her love.

** I know youre not vets, im taking her to the vet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 07:51 AM

2,734 posts, read 338,094 times
Labs are another one that is prone to seizures. Hopefully they can put her on meds to control them. If you look up medical problems with labs you'll see this and a few other key areas mentioned. One of my labs goes tomorrow for blood work. He most likely has an under active thyroid.
I hope they can successfully find the problem and teat your furbaby.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:51 AM

45 posts, read 25,706 times
Sorry to hear this Ohky0815, I had a lab mix who had the same, or similar issue. She was about 4 or 5 when the seizures began, and it was the scariest thing.. We went to the vet, changed her food and didn't see another episode for a few years. She went back to the vet when they started coming back and she was prescribed a medication.. that I cannot remember at the moment. She maybe had one or two more seizures randomly, but she lived a good long life.

We got her as a rescue from an abusive situation, so I had always wondered if that was a factor, but I never really knew.

Wishing you the best

Old 04-13-2017, 09:16 AM

2,734 posts, read 2,764,979 times
We have a dog with seizures. Our vet recommended a neurologist who prescribed Keppra after doing a CT scan and spinal tap. No seizures since (knock on wood).

The most common med prescribed is phenobarbital but it has side effects such as incredible thirst, pacing for hours etc.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:42 AM

4,654 posts, read 15,736,347 times
I know you fear all too well Last October Miss Carly our Border Collie mixed with??? started having seizures at the age of 11. I'm in touch with her only other "mom" and she'd never had any before. Sadly nothing helped and after the grand mal we had to put her down as she'd never recovered That was one fast and scary and sad week.

That said, I hope you can find out something good and useful for your baby!!!

Old 04-13-2017, 10:51 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,049,181 times
I've had a Lab mix with seizures who did well on phenobarbital. During the period of adjustment to the PB he went through the excessive drinking and eating phase but over time that went away as his body adapted. He lived a long and full life. His hip dysplasia was what finally became too much for him to handle so it was curtains at the age of 12.

I'm presently dealing with a small dog - some sort of terrier/Pekinese mix - who just began having seizures last fall. She's also on the PB. She does break through occasionally and have a seizure. Her vet has had to increase her dose twice. She gets kind of loopy while she adjusts to the new dose and then is her normal self again.

How old is your Lab? I was told that if a dog starts having seizures as a youngster it tends to be genetic and with the older ones (as with my 10 year old), it tends to be a neurologic lesion. Your vet will run labs looking for any sort of metabolic dysfunction which could cause the seizures. He may suggest further testing, or not. Vets seem to vary in their diagnostic procedures.

That said, we had a Scottie who had seizures starting at 7 and lived to 22! Yes, you read that right. And the seizures weren't what finally got him . . . he just wore out.

I hope you'll update us after your vet visit today. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I've had a Lab mix with seizures who did well on phenobarbital. During the period of adjustment to the PB he went through the excessive drinking and eating phase but over time that went away as his body adapted. He lived a long and full life. His hip dysplasia was what finally became too much for him to handle so it was curtains at the age of 12.

I'm presently dealing with a small dog - some sort of terrier/Pekinese mix - who just began having seizures last fall. She's also on the PB. She does break through occasionally and have a seizure. Her vet has had to increase her dose twice. She gets kind of loopy while she adjusts to the new dose and then is her normal self again.

How old is your Lab? I was told that if a dog starts having seizures as a youngster it tends to be genetic and with the older ones (as with my 10 year old), it tends to be a neurologic lesion. Your vet will run labs looking for any sort of metabolic dysfunction which could cause the seizures. He may suggest further testing, or not. Vets seem to vary in their diagnostic procedures.

That said, we had a Scottie who had seizures starting at 7 and lived to 22! Yes, you read that right. And the seizures weren't what finally got him . . . he just wore out.

I hope you'll update us after your vet visit today. Good luck.
She is 7 ( 8 later this year). I just wish we knew WHY. Is it stress? Food? Too much exercise? Part of who she is? She had never had one prior to 2015 and we have had her since she was about 6mo old. She had none in 2016 and none until now.

I will say the Saturday one after the dogpark was one of the most scary ones because it lasted a long time.

and wouldnt you know, we just took the cat to the vet and now the dog. Thank goodness for CareCredit!

Ill update for sure!

Old 04-13-2017, 11:53 AM

13,355 posts, read 7,339,941 times
Sometimes flea treatments have been reported to cause seizures. If you do use monthly flea treatment perhaps look online for reported issues. As you mentioned, ingredients in food can also trigger seizures in some dogs. My neighbor found the same thing you did. She had two golden retrievers in a row with seizures. Somehow she figured out it was the food and switched to Blue Buffalo and the dog stopped having seizures. The ingredient was rosemary.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:22 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,049,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
She is 7 ( 8 later this year). I just wish we knew WHY. Is it stress? Food? Too much exercise? Part of who she is? She had never had one prior to 2015 and we have had her since she was about 6mo old. She had none in 2016 and none until now.

I will say the Saturday one after the dogpark was one of the most scary ones because it lasted a long time.

and wouldnt you know, we just took the cat to the vet and now the dog. Thank goodness for CareCredit!

Ill update for sure!
Triggers . . . with the Scottie it was too much roughhousing. With the Lab it was too much ball playing. So I always figured it was too much stimulation whether mental or physical. Now with my current dog it's food. The sight of food. Only in the evening. And it's not her food - it's when I'm fixing my dinner which is about an hour after her dinner and her evening PB dosage. It's so weird - I can be in the kitchen doing a cooking marathon like baking all day long and she ignores me and the kitchen activities. But at my dinner time, whether daylight or dark (like summer vs winter), that's when she'll seize. Her area of special interest is vegetables! So if I can prepare my salad, for example, without a problem, then we're probably home free. The vet thinks she has a brain lesion in the part of her brain that controls her food drive. Makes as much sense as anything.

This site has a ton of information and has really helped to educate me.

Canine Epilepsy Resource Center & Home of the Epil-K9 List

Old 04-13-2017, 02:11 PM

Exclamation Update

Back from vet!

She is 52lbs and healthy otherwise. No ear mites, fleas, good coat, etc.

Dr said to do bloodwork and go from there. Try to manage but if they get more common/frequent THEN he will put her on the Pheno. He agreed with you all ( and us) that it could be stress or too much exercise but since we werent paying attention to 2015 seizures, we dont know.

She goes tomorrow for the bloodwork and then we will get the results Monday.

Hes not convinced changing her food again would stop them but i think its worth trying..so back to Blue we go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or