U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 07:58 AM

28,404 posts, read 61,878,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Are dogs parks a big place to pick up KC?
Big? Probably not. I do it as a $20 CYA.
If you google it you'll see a lot of crossover in the opinions.
Well CYA but also so he can do doggy daycare if I ever choose to.

The one time he did have KC, not long after I got him (12 wks?) it was after
playing with a nice neighborhood dog owned by a just getting by retiree who
I later learned that despite his canine enthusiasm cut a lot of Vet corners.

My vet prescribed an antibiotic that I suppose helped
but what really helped was the twice a day dose of cough medicine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 09:35 AM

4,655 posts, read 15,751,832 times
To the OP and others: I worked for the greater part of 20 years in pet rescue and at a boarding kennel.

Someone mentioned that the Bordetella vaccine does not cover all strains TRUE, like the human flu vaccine it can be misfired as to what they are guessing at for that season, there are two seasons a year typically; Spring and Fall. So is it 100% full proof that your dog won't get KC even with the vaccine? NO

Why kennels and reputable groomers require is for their protection. For the most part KC is likened to a kid having a cold. If you send your kid out into the world they will come home with a myriad of things; colds, influenza, head lice, stomach viruses and the list goes on...

How vets treat KC varies. If your dog is otherwise healthy, just giving a children's cough syrup to squelch the cough should be enough CONSULT YOUR VET!. Vets tend to prescribe an antibiotic to help offset any potential danger of it going into pneumonia. This is why boarding kennels and groomers require it as i can lead into other health issues with dogs who might be compromised.

Where can your dog get KC? Dog parks, groomers, boarding kennels, veterinary clinics (yes mine was vaccinated, a strain was running through our valley and he got it while there for the day when he was neutered!!) and in their own backyard. If a neighbor dog has KC and the dogs run the fence line and barking, yes your dog can catch it.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:48 AM

36,993 posts, read 45,466,452 times
My dog never goes to a dog park. It seems to me that a dog park can be very anxiety ridden for a dog. A little socializing is good, but too many other dogs around sounds like too much stimulation. My dog has a nice fenced in yard, with squirrels and an occasional cat to chase, so I think it's better.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:44 PM

550 posts, read 272,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My dog never goes to a dog park. It seems to me that a dog park can be very anxiety ridden for a dog. A little socializing is good, but too many other dogs around sounds like too much stimulation. My dog has a nice fenced in yard, with squirrels and an occasional cat to chase, so I think it's better.
I've never been to one. If it's too busy then I don't think he will be going to them. He doesn't get along with other dogs and I don't want to get him all worked up. When I was visiting apartments they didn't seem super busy, but then again they were off hours.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:19 PM

28,404 posts, read 61,878,044 times
Dog parks and interaction with others needs to start as pups.
I feel bad for dogs who don't have the chance to enjoy these places...
especially since so few dogs are able to roam loose today.
Attached Thumbnails
Bordetella vaccine worth getting?-dogparkdays.png  

Old 04-17-2017, 03:23 PM

13,408 posts, read 6,632,906 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I might hold off until it gets closer to our move. I just want to make sure I give him the best protections I can. It was awful when we first got him and he was sick. I just didn't want to risk moving him to apartments and using a day park and him coming down with something.

It does seem like this vaccine is similar to our flu shot as someone else suggested.
I think you should worry more about other problems from dog parks than KC. I will never go again. Well, I broke that promise with rescue puppy. I wanted her to go once. She had nuclear energy and I wanted her to have a chance to get some of that out, but after regularly taking my dog I stopped due to multiple dangers.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:26 PM

550 posts, read 272,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Dog parks and interaction with others needs to start as pups.
I feel bad for dogs who don't have the chance to enjoy these places...
especially since so few dogs are able to roam loose today.
I didn't have the chance with my dog as a puppy. I only got him when he was 4 and he wasn't a fan of dogs then. He's from a puppy mill so he's not even a fan of most humans expect my family and his foster mom.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Most of them like it. Even 'velcro dogs' as we called them that at first didn't want to leave mummy or daddy's side eventually decided it was fun. I was in a dog group, so our dogs formed a 'pack'. Even if some dogs didn't want to play with random ones, they did want to play with the others in our group.

I thought mine was socially retarded at first. She didn't seem to know how to initiate play. Or reciprocate. She enjoyed the massive area to roam, though. And smell. And then she learned how to play and loved to start a game of tag. Or wrestle-mania with her bestie.

I'd walk in and my dog would find the group seeking her bestie. They'd leap up in the air and body-slam as their way of saying hello.

On Sundays, in the summers, we'd start going later and my dog would pout at the window. Like, I know it's TIME to GO to the DOG PARK. Are we staying HOME, you monster?

It is great fun.

But, one crazy guy had a Cane Corso out there that he was training to be extreme guard/attack dog. He used one of our danes to practice on. Flipped her and held her by the throat.

Another dog got sick and died and the muck in the dog parks was a suspect. All that dog poop that some people don't pick up goes into the ground when it rains and produces God only knows what.

And some people bring dysfunctional dogs hoping to 're-hab' them in the wrong setting and the wrong ways.

I've seen some bad dog fights. Our group's dogs stayed away, but all put together, I don't think they are safe.

One person said his dog was shy or something and the shy dog flipped mine on her back. Didn't hurt her, but ....... that was it for me. My dog was big and strong, btw!

Old 04-17-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
And walks. They love to travel. The idea of dog parks is great. The reality, not always.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:08 PM

36,993 posts, read 45,466,452 times
Quote:
I've never been to one. If it's too busy then I don't think he will be going to them. He doesn't get along with other dogs and I don't want to get him all worked up. When I was visiting apartments they didn't seem super busy, but then again they were off hours.
Exactly. All worked up. A bunch of dogs, peeing and pooping and sniffing each other... my dog was a foster and likes other dogs, but just in small doses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or