Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:51 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,956,751 times

Advertisements

A question...............since so many pet owners claim their dogs are just as much a part of their family as their kids are.........do you pet owners who feel that way drive around with your kids' heads hanging out the window?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 08:18 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,220,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
A question...............since so many pet owners claim their dogs are just as much a part of their family as their kids are.........do you pet owners who feel that way drive around with your kids' heads hanging out the window?
We sure did when I was a kid, but you can't anymore between seat belt and car seat laws.

One of the great treats of summer as a kid was riding in the bed of a pick up truck!

In Austria about 10 years ago, my then 25 year old son and I took the sun roof off of my Element and stood through the roof (the sun roof is in the back seat of an Element) together enjoying the mountain passes of Austria singing songs from "the sound of music" at the top of our lungs, while my wife drove with my DIL riding shotgun. We still laugh about how much fun that was.

I also ride motorcycles, and have never given a second thought to having kids and grandkids as passengers - pretty similar exposure to head hanging out the window. I am alive, my wife is alive, my kids are alive, my grandkids are alive, my dogs are alive.

Perhaps, just perhaps, the risk and danger implied by the OP are not quite as risky and dangerous as implied. Besides, a risk less life would be an extremely dull life, if indeed one could say they have lived, having never taken a risk! But that would take us from a pet thread to a philosophy thread...

Last edited by Tuck's Dad; 04-25-2017 at 08:36 PM..

Old 04-25-2017, 08:54 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,548,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Do you or have you ever even owned a dog?

All you have to do is push one button and the dog can't accidentally roll down the window. I do the same thing if there are kids in my car.
That sounds like a "have you ever owned a car" question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
Really? You want to call the police about that picture?

Somebody should have called the police on you for obviously driving down the road trying to get a picture of that scene. Did you have your cell phone up taking the picture while driving 70-75mph or better yet...have YOUR head and phone outside the window? I'm sure no matter how great of a driver you think you are ....you were swerving just to take that picture.
You shouldn't drive out here. You'd wear out the 9 and 1 buttons on your phone!

Old 04-25-2017, 09:00 PM

760 posts, read 760,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Would you have called the police?

No, the opening is too small for the dog to jump through, MYOB as they say. If a cop parked by the side of the road on traffic detail feels it's an issue he or she will stop the car.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:07 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,220,049 times
Quote:
You shouldn't drive out here. You'd wear out the 9 and 1 buttons on your phone!
Hey, no fair, you stole that line from me!

Old 04-25-2017, 10:24 PM

19,283 posts, read 9,383,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
No, I would not have called the police and if you do, most likely they will tell you it is none of your business. And the picture clearly shows a dog too big to jump through that window; the neck fills up the opening.

Is it good for dogs to do this? NO. Ask about any vet and they will tell you about the flying debris that gets into the dogs eyes from passing vehicles.
^^ this ^^

Not sure how the police would respond as for saying it's none of my business but more likely to say something like it's not considered a criminal offense. Yes, I agree about the debris. Maybe owner could get the pooch a set of goggles if hanging out the window a lot. There are seat belts that are linked to a harness so that a dog could be sitting up and possibly have their head out the window like that. I don't know the story nor have I been on that road following behind that car for an extended amount of time.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:28 PM

19,283 posts, read 9,383,402 times
Quote:
My main concern was of doggie wanting to get out the window! Was my concern.... I'm a little surprised people think the doggie was safe!

I think these two quotes answer each other well.

As to the "concern" thing... I've been shown a whole new level of folks up in other folk's business to wonder who would have been calling NY State Police if they saw this. After all... on an electric power window, it takes about one second. Excited or curious doggie may have wanted to try to fly.
Some cars have power window and door locks though.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Hey, no fair, you stole that line from me!
I know. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery though!

Great responses and questions.... Please keep them up!

Old 04-25-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Some cars have power window and door locks though.
Yes. And on mine, I always accidentally put the rear windows down when I mean the fronts because the lock and unlock bar looks like the rear windows....

Doggie JUMP!

Old 04-25-2017, 11:32 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,952,945 times
Quote:
My main concern was of doggie wanting to get out the window! Was my concern.... I'm a little surprised people think the doggie was safe!

I think these two quotes answer each other well.

As to the "concern" thing... I've been shown a whole new level of folks up in other folk's business to wonder who would have been calling NY State Police if they saw this. After all... on an electric power window, it takes about one second. Excited or curious doggie may have wanted to try to fly.
Clearly your vehicle is not equipped with locks at the drivers door that prevents the other windows to be opened or closed when the lock is engaged by the driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs