Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 10:34 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Yes. And on mine, I always accidentally put the rear windows down when I mean the fronts because the lock and unlock bar looks like the rear windows....

Doggie JUMP!

Amazingly enough many people know how to operate the buttons on their vehicles properly......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 10:36 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
Quote:
Would you have called the police?
No absolutley not. Thats normal.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:13 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Amazingly enough many people know how to operate the buttons on their vehicles properly......
The same ones that let their dog hand out the window that fast? You sure?

Just one slip-up...

Old 04-26-2017, 06:20 AM

231 posts, read 236,579 times
One thing.

Dogs eyes can be injured when heads are out of windows due to flying debris,small stones etc.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:11 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
A question...............since so many pet owners claim their dogs are just as much a part of their family as their kids are.........do you pet owners who feel that way drive around with your kids' heads hanging out the window?
I know what you are saying, I sure don't allow my dogs to stick their heads out of my truck unless the truck is parked and then if I'm not around they are closed halfway. Too much small debris can get into their eyes while driving and larger debris can be thrown up and hit them too. People need to think about how a nice size rock can destroy your window and understand that can also hit a dogs head..ouch.

Had a friend in MI who was a pet ophthalmologist and he told me this was a common occurrence (dogs hanging head out of the window while driving) and caused many eye problems in dogs.

Another thing to note, that in later model vehicles, windows have to open by pushing down and cannot close by pushing down on the button. That prevents kids from sticking their heads out of the window, and stepping on the button and choking them with a closed window. So in my case with a '16 vehicle, the back windows are LOCKED OUT from use, but the button on the driver's master control array.

HOWEVER, is there a state that makes it illegal for a dog to have their head out of the window while the vehicle is in motion? I have never heard of one, but there could be. I do know there are states that require dogs to be tethered and never in the driver's lap while moving, and I tether both of my dogs to the rear seat, but they could still easily stick their heads out of the windows, so they could meet state law on being secured in their seats.

So the OPs idea of calling the police would have just been an exercise in futility and the police dispatcher might have told her in a nice way to go mind your own business. As much as it bugs me to see this, some people do need to mind their own business and find something else to do with their lives.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:53 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
unless your dog wears goggles, many of you must not care about your dogs' eyes.

I would never ride a motorcycle w/o one of the 3......

windshield
glasses
goggles

I need my eyes tomorrow.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:01 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times

Quote:
How do you know he too big to jump out?
Because I know how dogs are proportioned - and unless that head has been transplanted into the body of a far, far smaller breed, then it can't get out of that window.

I'm not saying that some dogs don't hang dangerously out of windows. I've definitely seen that, and owners should most certainly not let that happen. But the picture in question is not an example of such.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:16 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,245,675 times
What makes me nervous are the dogs riding unsecured in the beds of pickup trucks on the highway.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:12 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
That dog is having a good time and obviously cannot get out the window.

There is nothing illegal, immoral, or dangerous.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-27-2017, 03:15 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
A question...............since so many pet owners claim their dogs are just as much a part of their family as their kids are.........do you pet owners who feel that way drive around with your kids' heads hanging out the window?
I wouldn't let my kids lick their own butts, or people's when they meet them, or eat off the floor, or any number of things.

BUT if they did make dog seat belts I would probably use them. Not like the harnesses they sell, if I get into an accident they are still going to get whiplash.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs