Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 07:31 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times

Advertisements

If I feed my dog food with grains, she gets bad gas. My dog also does not do well on cheap foods. Her skin allergies get worse, her fur gets thin, and her skin dries out. She also has more bowel issues such as constipation, diarrhea, or blood in her stools. People should do whatever works for their dog.

Now, just because a brand says grain-free and is twice as expensive does not mean that it is any better. There are good and bad brands among the premium brands. My dog did not do well on Blue Buffalo, but has done well on Wellness Core and Nature's Variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 08:18 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times
We feed our 60-pound Airedale Orijen. I believe it's one of the most expensive dry foods. The cost is $ 78 for a 26-pound bag, including delivery, no tax. There is another variety going for $ 98, I think. One bag lasts up to 6 weeks.

Tobi gets a carrot, a half banana and three slices of Italian salami in the morning. Later he gets one or two cups of Orijen. He also gets leftovers depending on what we have for dinner. I need to weigh him and reduce his dry food when he goes over 60 lbs.

Before we switched to Orijen he ate 3-4 cups to maintain his optimal weight and the cleanup was much more more substantial.
Orijen is highly rated by the Whole Dog Journal and other publications.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:03 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Not all dogs need to be grain-free but if they do, the grain-free food makes a big difference. My dog is now doing well on Beyond dry food. No grains though--he wheezes coughs on grains.

He did very well on Wellness food too. We always try to give him some real food too because that's closest to what they would have been eating in the wild. So he gets some meat, steamed carrots, whatever we've having that would be good for him.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:41 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times
The two little men here have been on Alpo most of their lives along with Cesar wet food, one and a half each per day. They've also had the feed-at-will option for the dry food forever as well. One is already sixteen, the other turns sixteen in a few months. Other than normal old dog problems, both are fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs