Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:23 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times

Advertisements

I'm confused...aren't ALL dawgs "LAP" and "BED" dawgs??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 02:06 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
Note to self: Get a smaller dog.

I have a lap dog, too. However, he is only 16 pounds. I would not let anything else bigger sit on my lap - except my wife or daughter

Old 03-08-2008, 03:59 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Well I have a very sweet lab/pyrenees cross who is a very docile lap dog but quite large. Now I will be limping for the rest of my life and I cannot lift anything more than 30 pounds because she launched off my lap when my wife rattled her dog food bag filling her bowl. I sustained an injury that required surgery and it never healed quite right.
Google "hydrocelectomy". What a nightmare my life has become just because she likes to be on my lap. By the way I still can't tell her no !

Old 03-08-2008, 05:40 PM

29 posts, read 137,732 times
Default You think that's bad....

Try having an 80 lb Boxer, a 50 lb Boxer, a 30 lb Beagle and 3 cats on a queen size bed along with 2 adults. The dogs are all sprawled out, and my husband and I are bent into fetal positions all night - with hardly any covers. No matter how much we tell them to stay off, they'll sneak up after we're asleep. It's out of control. But, great in the winter time for warmth! LOL

Old 03-08-2008, 06:09 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I'm confused...aren't ALL dawgs "LAP" and "BED" dawgs??????
Ha, cute! Yep, plus a cat at my house. I'm never cold!

Old 03-08-2008, 06:26 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Well I have a very sweet lab/pyrenees cross who is a very docile lap dog but quite large. Now I will be limping for the rest of my life and I cannot lift anything more than 30 pounds because she launched off my lap when my wife rattled her dog food bag filling her bowl. I sustained an injury that required surgery and it never healed quite right.
Google "hydrocelectomy". What a nightmare my life has become just because she likes to be on my lap. By the way I still can't tell her no !
Oh my gosh! Dog-in-the-lap induced trauma - I have never heard of such a thing. I'm awfully sorry for your troubles, but there must be worse ways to get such a miserable injury than having a huge, cuddly dog snuggling you!

Hope you are on the mend...

Old 03-08-2008, 06:52 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
My dog is about 50 lbs, half greyhound and half Aussie shepherd (so I was told anyway haha)

I was sitting in my chair tonight reading a book and she kept bugging me to pet her by knocking the book with her nose. Finally in frustration I said "Okay just climb up on my lap and I'll pet you while I read!" and I patted my lap.

Now...she's never sat in my lap before because she's really too big to do it, but as soon as I patted my lap, up she hopped and just curled up on my lap...sort of...hanging off in all directions. I petted her for a while, and then made her get down when I lost all feeling in my lower body. But now every time I sit down tonight she tries to climb into my lap!!

I've created a monster!!
That's funny! lol! Our dogs haven't been weighed for a little while, last time they were weighed, if I remember correctly, Brooklyn was around 55 pounds, Jayda was around 50 pounds and Destiny was around 45 pounds. They won't get much bigger, if at all, and they aren't very big dogs, but they are certainly too big to be lap dogs! lol! All of ours LOVE to sit in our laps! They will even try to all pile on one lap every now and then! We don't have a problem with it sometimes, but as you said, once the lower part of our bodies go to sleep, they have to get off! If we aren't in the mood to have a 50 or so pound dog, or two, or three in our laps, they will sit down next to us and lean up against us, or they will just lay their head in our lap. It's like they can't relax unless they are on top of one or both of us, or at least touching us!

Old 03-08-2008, 06:56 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
hey red my husband never wanted the dog on the bed or couch.Now he beggs if not goes and gets the dog so he can be w/ us. ....it's ok. can u post a pic of doggie? Sounds like a neat mix
I don't have a picture of her standing up, but here's her sweet face:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ripley2.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	15948

Old 03-09-2008, 09:34 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Heck, my 5 lb Yorkie will lay across the bed sideways and then growl letting me know I am encroaching on his space. Then there is the weim who weighs 65 plus who has to be laying next to me. I created 4 monsters who all think they have to be right next to me at night in my queen size bed. I get a sliver and no leg room.
Sounds like our 10 lb Rat Terrier, the dog that was never going to be allowed on the furniture or in our bed . She now has her 'nests' all over the place. She drags her blanket all over the house to take advantage of the sun in various spots throughout the day. It is quite comical watching her drag her blanket up and down the stairs. In the morning it is DS12's bed, afternoon it is on the couch near the patio door, in the evening she is in the TV room with the kids on the couch, at night our bed.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:16 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I don't have a picture of her standing up, but here's her sweet face:

Attachment 15948
She's beautiful!I'm owned by a medium-sized Aussie mix, two pugs, and two cats. And they all love to cuddle up at night. The dogs like to sleep right next to me, while the cats prefer to be on top of me. Makes turning over quite a production! Luckily there's no husband to complicate matters. On second thought, the having 5 dogs and cats and not having the husband may be related. Oh well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs